Video game design discussion

Noblewine

I'm curious on what you guys think about it. I've played video games on/off in my adult years but when I was younger I sunk more hours into them. As I got older though I started noticing that some games like Kirby, for example, in terms of game design haven't really changed significantly. They update the game by introducing some new concept(s), following a trend or try to patch/fix bugs with remakes. I'll explain why I hate remakes later, sorry to derail the topic.
In a sense of keeping it traditional is that really best if say I want a challenge or to give the game replay value? A game should have good game design, responsive controls and replay value. That's what I prefer. Challenge is also something I like to see more of instead of collecting stuff. I don't dislike collecting stuff "if" that add an element of exploration to the game. Challenge and exploration are elements as a gamer I enjoyed when i was younger.

So the reason I hate remakes is simple: I dislike it when they make a game for a desperate cash grab excuse. They just patch existing bugs by implementing new concept(s) in to fix it. They enhance the graphic when how it looked originally was fine and didn't need to be changed. I also hate it when they mess with music or something else.

I like full on remakes where they not just update the graphics but bring a lot of new things to the table. Rather than a updated graphic port. Cuz Guardian Heroes Remix is great

I like full on remakes where they not just update the graphics but bring a lot of new things to the table. Rather than a updated graphic port. Cuz Guardian Heroes Remix is great

I never heard of the Guardian Heroes remix. Was that game made by members of Treasure?

Money with minimal effort is really cool though, especially if you're a big company that's too important to care B)

Hmmm not sure about specific games ; ;

Are you talking about share holders anime? They are probably responsible for rushed games or how mainstream Nintendo games are now. I dunno it just feels like Nintendo has become to casual since they copy/paste. Check points for example is one of my issues with modern day Nintendo. They remove any challenge I felt when I was playing back then even though Super Mario World had checkpoints. Maybe its just nostalgia talking.

If you're not familiar with Egoraptor he made a series about videogame sequels called Sequelitis which addresses game making tropes and remakes and all that jazz.

For the most part I think remakes of older games are a lot more fun than new games. I think the newest game that really kept my attention was Super Mario Galaxy 2 from like 2010. Imo games in general come out a lot faster than a "good" game should keep peoples' attention (or at least my attention) for. But idk maybe I'm just old.

As an aside, I really can't stand video game "journalism"/vlogging/twitch.tv/whatever

Last edited:
On the subject of changing the music... Has anyone tried the PS4 version of Super Meat Boy ? The music in it is yucky compared to the PC version (it was made by Danny Baranowsky originally).
If I didn't make a mistake when linking First is Original, second is "remake".

1st :

2nd :

What's funny is they promoted the new soundtrack like a feature / welcome change. while it was all a problem of rights... (DannyB being more well known then he surely wanted more money !)

If you're not familiar with Egoraptor he made a series about videogame sequels called Sequelitis which addresses game making tropes and remakes and all that jazz.

I watched it but I wish he remove the adult filter so I can watch it without being forced to log in. People were upset about his opinion but honestly its his opinion. I need to watch more of them.

For the most part I think remakes of older games are a lot more fun than new games. I think the newest game that really kept my attention was Super Mario Galaxy 2 from like 2010. Imo games in general come out a lot faster than a "good" game should keep peoples' attention (or at least my attention) for. But idk maybe I'm just old.

As an aside, I really can't stand video game "journalism"/vlogging/twitch.tv/whatever

My pet peeve with remakes is I like the content to be left alone. I don't like adding new stuff to fix bugs Revamping graphics is comes off as a desperate cash grab. An example is the GBC remakes of Dragon Warrior 1 & 2. I'm a newcomer to the game but I enjoyed it because they left the content alone. Though they left the graphics alone. I guess.

Nah age doesn't have anything to do with but you are right about how games can hold someone attention. The same thing happened with Ice Age; just throw slapstick in and toilet humor to please the kids or give the game a shiney coat to lure someone(or anyone in).

I agree about journalism these days. Heart breaking how they caused a huge disconnect between game devs and gamers.

On the subject of changing the music... Has anyone tried the PS4 version of Super Meat Boy ? The music in it is yucky compared to the PC version (it was made by Danny Baranowsky originally).
If I didn't make a mistake when linking First is Original, second is "remake".

1st :

2nd :

What's funny is they promoted the new soundtrack like a feature / welcome change. while it was all a problem of rights... (DannyB being more well known then he surely wanted more money !)

I haven't magic luther. I watched a speedrun of it by AGDQ 2013 or 2014. Gameplay looked fun but punishing. I crave challenge to be honest. While on youtube one night I did listen to the soundtrack to Link between Between Two Worlds and I like how they remade the dark world theme using a violin.

Last edited:
Back