V1 Vet, possible newcomer to Ephinea

Hatsodoom

Hey there folks, first of all let me just say how I LOVE that all the server names are based on the Tales Of Series. To the main point I am highly considering ditching Ultima in favor of this server, which seems to be way more my style. However I have one major question and I need an honest as possible answer.

How many people on the servers like to just run areas and not do quests? I'm not talking no quests ever, but consider quests secondary in the sense where they do them every so often. I'm not a giant quest fan and that's my major gripe about Ultima. EVERYONE just spams quests 24/7 and I'm at my breaking point there.

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the forums! I'm not really sure that there are many people who really enjoy playing without quests, on this server or any others. There are a few people, but it's definitely not the majority. However, with seasons going on, I feel like a lot more people are just killing things instead of constant questing, but that's kind of just my subjective opinion. I've also played on Ultima and I much prefer Ephinea for a multitude of reasons. I hope you try it out and discover the same!

Oh... well that's kind of a shame then. I don't get why people are so fascinated by quests these days. Back on Sega most people were sort of meh about them. (Other than TTF/RT for power leveling.) I mean I'll still likely sign up at some point, but maybe later than soon now.

I just run areas a lot. Granted the amount I'm on varies.

Usually my room's name is k or something, I'm pretty meh about naming rooms.

Main time I run quests is cause I want some meseta or need to ttf some character.

Also hello

Honestly, it can't be worse than Ultima's quest spammers. I'll give this a shot for a while. (I'm only hesitant because I've never hit 200 before and I've got a 149 on Ultima. Yes I'm using default/vanilla xp.)

I'm a weirdo but I always tend to run areas instead of quests, and like Rune I'm only online from time to time. hit me up if you want, but I'm either really low-level or ult. nothing in between yet.

welcome

hey i like to put time in on a character. my main is barely ult anyway :lenny:

sometimes you just gotta go fast. what else you gonna do? escape from the city.

Well I've created my first guy and what I think I'm gonna do for now is play both servers, at least until I hit 200 on Ultima. At the very least it looks like the "open room ratio" is better here and I only counted 5 games with more than 1 player in them doing quests, so it's looking better at least.

Update: Well you certainly have one thing, there's much more activity in the lobbies!

Last edited:
I travel a lot areas without making quests, i help others players or i'm just walking around killing everything that moves...! :p

You will find all types of players here.

My personal preference is to have an open Ultimate party, run zones until we're 4/4, then ask if people want to do quests. Unless I'm nolifing NMU or something.

Honestly, it can't be worse than Ultima's quest spammers. I'll give this a shot for a while. (I'm only hesitant because I've never hit 200 before and I've got a 149 on Ultima. Yes I'm using default/vanilla xp.)
*Pounces and examines doomies-san carefully!* Mew has an affectionate word for ppl we get from....Ultima.... mew calls you "Rescues!" <3! Its Wonderful to hear you seriously considering joining our family dear! Yes, there's always the frame of mind of simply surrendering ones routine to "quests only"....after 17 years of PSOing can u really blame a few of them? Don't worry...you'll still often find a few stalwart players still dungeon crawling to the bitter end. And you'll prolly most likely make 200 here too! We may be VANILLA...but we often get graced with a few exp perks when we earn them enuff <3. Not to mention you'll feel happier doing the slow painful crawl HERE than u ever will at that 'other'......bleh...'server' X3! Looking forward to pouncing and playing wiff you doomies! Welcome Home! =3

A friendly welcome from me!

As a former Ultima player let me tell you: Ditching Ultima in favor for Ephinea will only bring you more fun in this game in my opinion. I remember not finding any games at all there even when I finally had the urge to just hop into a game and play with others. It's different here as you've already seen. The community is one of the friendlist I've ever seen in an online game too.

As for me, I enjoy both questing and roaming free areas. Just playing the areas is more relaxing, but for getting dem sweet rares quests are usually more efficient. As I am poor I'm spamming the shit out of literally any quest in existence just to get anything worthwhile. :D But I also like to solo sometimes, mostly when nobody is around or when I want to do something specific like a certain quest just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
Starting to like the look of it all here now. I don't mind quests and I agree, they're better for rare hunting. But for me just free-running never gets old for an old fart like me. If you all have a good balance between the two, then maybe I can adapt a bit. (Besides looks like you have plenty of custom quests here, as opposed to the same 3-4 quests Ultima people do.) Anyway I'll still play Ultima till I finally nail a 200, but I'll spend some of my time here now.

Welcome to Ephinea Hatsodoom! Always good to see oldies come back.

Back