Sudden server down time 8/5/2016

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
So, the reason the server went down for a bit is because I totally got an e-mail from the hosting provider stating it would go down and totally forgot about it until it happened.

The notification about the server going down for a bit was given 12 hours ago and, usually, the provider gives notifications several DAYS before it happens. This time, not so much, and I kind of glanced at the email earlier today but didn't take note that it was already 8/5/2016... go figure.

Anyway, explanation as given by the provider:

Between 3am and 5am CDT on Friday, August 5, we plan to update the OS on one of our routers in Chicago, which will require a reboot. We expect for this to cause approximately 10 minutes of connectivity loss for your service at this location.

We are performing this update because the new software release should offer higher performance than the old one, which will make the router able to better-handle particularly high-packet-rate DDoS attacks. We have seen several extremely large DDoS attacks against a customer in Chicago today that have saturated all of our upstream links, and would have needed to be null-routed no matter what, but they caused some additional impact because this router could not process all of the traffic internally.

If there is a problem with the new software release, we will roll back to the older version.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone.

This is what happens when you veg out on PS zero >:C
Haha! Actually, I didn't get a chance to play PS0 yet. :(

I was kind of busy yesterday, though, and went to bed and totally forgot about the e-mail since I read it just before my lunch break at work then took a nap during my break where it seemed to exit my mind. (WOOPS)

Back