ReShade Tutorial/Thread (Post Processing)

Echelon

PSOBB plastic surgeon
So, i tried a bit of everything for post processing for a while and decided to try again ReShade with the latest updates and OMG... it works almost perfectly now with PSOBB!
psobb 2019-05-05 12-20-08.png

Why use it over ENB/Pso Shaders?
  • Fully configurable from an ingame menu, you don't need to be a programmer and you can compare the changes immediately on your screen.
  • Takes less ressources: no matter what effects i use, so far i keep a constant 30 FPS with this version.
  • Unlike ENB, by default it does not mess with the colors / contrast etc... unless your configure it that way (i always hated the mandatory crushed blacks and whites with ENB).
  • Downside: UI and addons are affected.
How to install:
  • Download the latest version of ReShade: https://reshade.me/ Launch the setup, select PSOBB.exe and Direct3D 9.
  • Choose the effects you want to install (I installed everything for my tests).
  • Now launch PSO, and press 'Home" key anytime to change your settings, done!
Tips:
  • If you want to edit the effects in depht, hover the sliders with your mouse to display a description of said effects so you have a better idea of what you are doing.
  • You can show your clock/FPS count.
Presets:

Here's my preset for Reshade (v4.2), feel free to share yours in this thread:
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n452ghw9cn2eze2/RESHADE_-_Modern_PSO_Preset.rar/file
Instructions: Drop it into your PSOBB main directory.

I'm also using these 3D parameters (Nvidia):

Anisotropic filtering: 16x
Negative LOD Bias: Clamp

Anisotropic Sample Optimization: Off
Texture Filtering Quality: High Quality
Trilinear Optimization: On
Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA): On
Threaded Optimization: On

Triple Buffering: On

Last edited:
little tips: If you want to edit the effects in depht, hover the sliders with your mouse to display a description of said effects so you have a better idea of what you are doing ;)
Sans titre-2.png

Last edited:
I have been using ReShade for a while now and I agree it is too good not to give it a try. This is also a great solution for people that have integrated GPU's on laptops. For a long time I had struggled with performance issues and this is by far the best solution once the update for ReShade.

Fantastic post! Thanks for this!

Also, while testing i noticed that the order of effects seems to matter, in my case i think it looks best in this order (edited):
-SMAA
-Vibrance
-ReflectiveBumpmapping
-MagicBloom

Last edited:
Booo, I followed the steps exactly and my game doesn't launch. Time to fiddle with it.

EDIT

Figured it out. I was running PSOBB in compatibility mode, disabling compatibility mode allowed my game to boot with reshade.

Last edited:
Only issue with Reshade is that it also effects the overlay, which I believe ENB does not. Overall it will produce a better image with the right settings though. Been using it for a while. I recommend putting SMAA first as that will be what is processed first, you typically would want AA type post effects to come first, then color correction & misc (orders here are largely dependent on what you're using, so for instance you would want reflective bumpmapping after color correction as you have done) then bloom last.

Oh, it also effects lua unless there's something I don't know about which prevents that from occurring

Last edited:
I found that LumaSharpen acts as a nice counterbalance for that, textures and text looks a bit more defined/less blurried by the SMAA while still less aliased, even the lua text looks more readable to me. It's a bit more sensitive with straight lines in game tho.
Probably not ideal but still an improvement to me (Sorry for my english, hope it's not too hard to understand me).

No, i mean the shaders are applied to the UI and the addons like the rest of the screen. Addons works just fine on my end.

Okay, great thanks! I didn't want to waste time tinkering if it was incompatible for some reason.

Edit: DOH! Too much copying and moving of files. Appears the dinput8.dll and dinput8.pdb files got cleared out. Sorry for the unnecessary post, but appreciate the response nonetheless.

Last edited:
i have one problem with this. I cannot access the settings at all. I press "home" and all it does is bring up my menu and I can't rebind it to anything. Any ideas on what I can do?

i have one problem with this. I cannot access the settings at all. I press "home" and all it does is bring up my menu and I can't rebind it to anything. Any ideas on what I can do?

Not sure. For me the "home" key look like that: ⇱ maybe try other keys?
Do you see reshade loading on the splash screen? If not it may not be installed correctly.

Sorry for the late response

Same question, do you have a banner with reshade loading when starting the game?
If you do, maybe try this:

How to change key binds out of game
If you need to modify the default Home/Pos1 hotkey to toggle ReShade's interface on, without having access to it, you'll have to change it out-of-game.
Navigate to your game's main directory (game .exe location) and open ReShade.ini with any text editor.
Locate KeyMenu=36,0,0 under the [INPUT] section, and change it to whatever value you desire.

The KeyMenu line is composed of three numbers, of which each one is separated by a comma.
The first number is the keycode value. The second one defines if ctrl needs to be hold or not (0=no - 1=yes). The last one has the same purpose of the previous one, but it indicates shift.
Google "keycode" for values

Reshade now crashes the game. Any chance this can be updated?
Are you sure it does? I just tested with one of my Reshade installs from 2021 and it works. And I know others use it that haven't reported any issues.

Maybe it doesn't work for the Direct3D renderer that you're using in the launcher options?

Back