(relatively) New to the series, and PSO

ComfyNEETlife

Dunno how start this thread, but hi everyone. Not that new to the series, played about 3+ hours of PS0 on DS so far, but still pretty new to both PSO and the idea of private servers of old online experiences. I'm kind of happy that the Phantasy Star community seems to have kept this game alive for so long.

That said, I have 2 questions so far for PSO veterans. Is PSOBB supposed to be this hard? There doesn't seem to be a dodge button like PS0, so I'm kinda dying a ton using swords, and using the handgun to cheese some fights. Also, does PSOBB have a story outside of the intro, or is this gameplay-focused?

Any tips would be great too, thanks!

Dunno how start this thread, but hi everyone. Not that new to the series, played about 3+ hours of PS0 on DS so far, but still pretty new to both PSO and the idea of private servers of old online experiences. I'm kind of happy that the Phantasy Star community seems to have kept this game alive for so long.

That said, I have 2 questions so far for PSO veterans. Is PSOBB supposed to be this hard? There doesn't seem to be a dodge button like PS0, so I'm kinda dying a ton using swords, and using the handgun to cheese some fights. Also, does PSOBB have a story outside of the intro, or is this gameplay-focused?

Any tips would be great too, thanks!
Hmmmm...Well, for one...if mew or any of her loved ones spot you online...we can easily halp you stop from being so....Squishy. No Dodge options....sorry. Depending on how high your Def is will allow you to essentially 'block' an attack...handgun attacks is a smart idea so early...you're fine. Many 'stories' involved...not sure what eles to say outside of being 'gameplay focused. Buuuuut regardless....Welcome Home! If you're online right now...mew'll come looking for you! <3

Best way to dodge, at least in melee range, would be to do Normal hit > Hard hit (not a full, 3 hits combo) which may push the enemies away a bit, allowing you to move and dodge and incoming swipe that you would normally take if you'd had done 3 hits. If you get swarmed by many monsters you can bring up a menu so your character won't lock on to anyone, allowing to keep your normal running speed and getting away (as you saw locking on slow down your movement to a crawl). The Normal Hit > Hard Hit > then walk away to dodge will take some practice but it's viable on every difficulties!

The timing is different from one melee weapon type to another so practice ASAP with each types as you come across them. c:

Welcome to PSO and Ephinea!

Last edited:
Best way to dodge, at least in melee range would be to do Normal hit > Hard hit which may push the enemies away a bit, allowing you to move and dodge and incoming swipe. If you get swarmed by many monsters you can bring up a menu so your character won't lock on to anyone, allowing to keep your normal running speed and getting away (as you saw locking on slow down your movement to a crawl)

Welcome to PSO and Ephinea!
^This!^ =3

Yeah pso has a very slight learning curve when it comes to combat. But once you get the basics down it becomes alot easier to get around. Of course once you start leveling up and finding better gear for your character, all that helps alot too.

Welcome to ephinea :)

Back