Realistic HP Hunting Expectations?

Skyefallen

So, I got the bug for hunting an uber rare now that I can actually hold my own in some of these harder quests.

I'm on purple ID, and hunting Mericarols for an HP. Has anyone else done this and had success? What quest do you use/reset on? How long did you run for? Any other thoughts and opinions?

It will be a career hunt, not something I will grind 100%.

Thanks!

first 3 Mericarol's in Lost Devil's Sceptre is optimal

but if you dont wanna spam restart the quest then do the entire jungle part of the quest (there are also quite a few hidden ones that somebody can probably show you)

^I just sent this to someone for v502 hunting, but it applies here as well.
This is the method Pluto_07 used when he recieved a section id change from yellowboze (LUL YELLOW HP)

Expect to be hunting a long. long. long. time.

Gonna second the method @anime mentioned. I haven't come across anything else (yet) that could outpace the Mericarol kill rate this method opens up.

Some pointers for running as a RA (IMO, ideally, a Cast RA):

- Get yourself an S-Rank Needle with Hell (and pair it with a V502 for best results) as this will allow you to 'erase' the 4 spawns that aren't Mericarols quickly.
- For the Mericarols themselves: a Frozen Shooter paired with either a Heaven Striker (ideally with A. Best and maybe some Hit) or some Yasminkov 9000Ms will do nicely for dispatching.

I would strongly encourage you to hold off on starting these runs until you can fulfill the above pointers. As a general rule of thumb I would apply to any uber rare hunt: make sure you have the best loadout for it possible with a character that is not only ideal (or at least effective) but also has core stats at or near max. Remember, this is something you're gonna be running for a very long time, and very likely to repeat the run several thousand times. Being able to clear each run 10-30 seconds faster will add up exponentially over time.

Oh, and I would also recommend doing your runs only during DAR and RDR boost weeks. During either period, the drop rate is reduced from 1/12609 to an approximate 1/10K. Assuming the adjusted drop rate is 1/10K and you're clearing 3 Mericarols every 3 minutes (or less, just a conservative estimate), you can statiscally expect to do around 3,300 runs across 160+ hours of play time.

Good luck, and may RNGeezus smile upon you-- for he has forsaken me.

Gonna second the method @anime mentioned. I haven't come across anything else (yet) that could outpace the Mericarol kill rate this method opens up.

Some pointers for running as a RA (IMO, ideally, a Cast RA):

- Get yourself an S-Rank Needle with Hell (and pair it with a V502 for best results) as this will allow you to 'erase' the 4 spawns that aren't Mericarols quickly.
- For the Mericarols themselves: a Frozen Shooter paired with either a Heaven Striker (ideally with A. Best and maybe some Hit) or some Yasminkov 9000Ms will do nicely for dispatching.

I would strongly encourage you to hold off on starting these runs until you can fulfill the above pointers. As a general rule of thumb I would apply to any uber rare hunt: make sure you have the best loadout for it possible with a character that is not only ideal (or at least effective) but also has core stats at or near max. Remember, this is something you're gonna be running for a very long time, and very likely to repeat the run several thousand times. Being able to clear each run 10-30 seconds faster will add up exponentially over time.

Oh, and I would also recommend doing your runs only during DAR and RDR boost weeks. During either period, the drop rate is reduced from 1/12609 to an approximate 1/10K. Assuming the adjusted drop rate is 1/10K and you're clearing 3 Mericarols every 3 minutes (or less, just a conservative estimate), you can statiscally expect to do around 3,300 runs across 160+ hours of play time.

Good luck, and may RNGeezus smile upon you-- for he has forsaken me.
I have the aforementioned gear set you spoke of. Thanks for the write up and encouraging words. I still need stat-maxing items, but I am pretty certain I can obtain those pretty soon. I don't know if I will put quite 160 hours in all at once, but If I try every other week or so (DAR, RDR weeks) I will eventually get one I hope. Its better chances than guld, which will be the next hunt...

:3 Thanks!

^I just sent this to someone for v502 hunting, but it applies here as well.
This is the method Pluto_07 used when he recieved a section id change from yellowboze (LUL YELLOW HP)
Ah, the legendary Pluto_07. My mentor and all around nice guy. May he return some day soon.

Good luck Skyefallen! Will test your patience, I know how long it took Pluto haha

To be fair those mini bosses due to not being casual scum have taken a min max approach and maxed out their attack at the cost of pretty low evade and defense but is sort of countered by the fact that they have tons of hp (minus the 2 special flowers at least who get to be perfect).

It can be hard to tell.

@Skyefallen:

I've cooked up a sample run of how to knock out the 3 Mericarols in under 2 minutes time (from lobby back to lobby). There may be further room for optimization, but I think it's pretty safe to say an average run time of 2 minutes is very realistic which means my original napkin math can be cut down by roughly a 1/3rd.

Youtube link:

Back