Rare Trivia: Japanese Character and Class Nicknames

Spoon

Ephineacon 2018 Survivor
Guildcard
This is a thread about the abbreviated nicknames given to the character classes by Japanese players, and the explanation as to why those names were chosen.

HUmar -> 馬 (うま) "Uma" / Horse / Derived from anime character name / Usage: Rare
The HUmar's name is borrowed from a 60's/70's manga/anime, 巨人の星 Kyojin no Hoshi. The protagonist's name is 星 飛雄馬 Hoshi Hyuuma and the name is, naturally, taken from the Hyuuma part, then abbreviated down to just the last character 馬. In addition, the protagonist is a pretty generic-looking male character, which seems to fit the HUmar theme as well. I've never actually seen anyone use this.

HUnewearl -> 乳 (ちち) "Chichi" / Breasts / HUnewearl has them in abundance / Usage: Uncommon
It's not the most creative nickname, but HUnewearl is lovingly referred to as this by some due to being well-equipped in this regard. There's not much more to say than that. Used occasionally.

HUcast -> 旦那 (だんな) "Dan-na" / Master / HUcast is the boss /Usage: Super Common
During the storyline missions, the HUcast Kireek is referred to as this. In addition, it is widely perceived that HUcast is indeed the "master" in terms of raw power. Japanese players use this to refer to HUcast far more often than actually spelling out ヒューキャスト, and you have most likely seen this thrown around several times even if you don't realize it (Example: "I'm switching to my 旦那")

HUcaseal -> H汁 (Hしる) "H-shiru" / H Soup / It's phonetic, not actually soup / Usage: Uncommon
HUcaseal's nickname can be likened to the way English players will sometimes abbreviate it to "HUcl".
汁, or "shiru", means "soup" or "broth". Sadly, this has nothing to do with actual soup. The "seal" portion of "caseal" is also pronounced "shiru" and therefore, H汁 (less commonly, Hu汁). While you aren't likely to see people use it in the lobby or in conversation, some players will affix that Kanji to the end of a character's name.

Even less common, some have referred to HUcaseal as the くノ一 Kunoichi, which refers to a female ninja. As an aside, the characters くノ一 are all the parts necessary to write the kanji for woman, 女, and it's sort of a cool code-name of sorts.

RAmar -> 尻 (しり) "Shiri" / Butt / RAmar has a big butt / Usage: Rare
RAmar's buttock region is large, and is especially noticeable during his running animation... which you will watch for hundreds of hours. I've never actually seen anyone use this in-game, but every Japanese player knows this.

RAmarl -> 丸 (まる) "Maru" / Circle / RAmarl's "marl" sounds like "maru" / Usage: Moderate
To call RAmarl this is essentially just shortening the name to "Marl" and ending it there. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the option to select circular glasses, nor anything relating to the overall shape of a RAmarl. I've seen it used a few times.

RAcast -> 箱 (はこ) "Hako" / Box / RAcast looks like a box / Usage: Common
At a glance, the RAcast does indeed look like a big ol' box. That's all there is to it. A few players have named their RAcasts using this or even outright calling it "box" in English.

RAcaseal -> 汁 (しる) & メイド "Shiru" & "Meido" / Soup & Maid / Phonetic soup, RAcaseal looks like a maid / Usage: Uncommon
Exactly like the HUcaseal's nickname, Japanese players took the "seal" part of "caseal" and used the Kanji for soup to spell it. It appears more common not to say it like R汁/Ra汁 though this would still be valid.

RAcaseal also looks like a robot maid, which is fairly self-explanatory. I don't often see people use this.

FOmar -> 農夫 (のうふ) "Noufu" / Farmer / "FOmar" sounds like "farmer" / Usage: Rare
This is a bit of a weird one. Basically, someone noticed the word "FOmar" sounds a lot like "farmer" and translated it back to Japanese, resulting in 農夫 Noufu. Honestly, I've never seen anyone use this one in the wild, and would never have figured this out had a friend not explained it to me. I think this one is very creative.

FOmarl -> 鈴 (すず) "Suzu" / Bell / FOmarl has bells on her hat / Usage: Rare
A "suzu" is a bell, and FOmarl's 3rd hairstyle/hat option features large jingle-bells dangling on both sides of her head. You probably won't ever see this used unless someone's FOmarl has this hairstyle.

FOnewm -> 王子 (おうじ) "Ouji" / Prince / FOnewm looks like a prince / Usage: Super Common
At a glance, many FOnewms look like some kind of prince due to the clothing, tights, and certain hairstyles/hats. This one is in use such that people won't say "I'm changing to my FOnewm" but rather, "I'm changing to my Prince" in conversation, and you may have even played with a very awesome player whose FOnewm is simply NAMED this...

FOnewearl -> ぽん "Pon" / Pom-pom / FOnewearl hats have pom-poms / Usage: Rare
FOnewearl hat options 1 and 3 feature pom-poms. This name refers most specifically to option 3, which has just the one big pom-pom on top. Not unlike FOmarl, you aren't likely to see this unless your FOnewearl actually has either of these pom-pom hats on.

Background: I've studied Japanese for a while now, and about 90% of my PSO playing is with Japanese players anymore. Along the way, I've learned some pretty interesting things that one can only learn through pure experience, and from the people themselves.

Why this thread? Japanese, in my opinion, is already a very poorly-documented language,and in smaller communities like niche online games, a lot of fun and interesting terminology can easily get swept away with time. I want this interesting, if pointless, knowledge to be preserved and shared with others. Also, for anyone in the process of learning Japanese, this could potentially be helpful knowledge so that you don't have to ask the same questions I have along the way.

Special thanks to the following people for making this thread possible:
@素手で粉砕するタイプ
for kindly explaining in further detail some of the names and their reasoning (in particular, FOmar) and being a cool dude all around

@Eila.Sanya. for being a great friend and being patient with me when my understanding of Japanese slang was close to zero

My ex-girlfriend
for tricking me into learning Japanese in the first place.

@Sodaboy for providing us with this server and the chance to play PSO with people from all around the world.

All the Japanese players of PSO EPHINEA for allowing me to play with you and talk to you in your beautiful language.

Thank you for doing this,really interesting!
One of Vex's HUmars for Battle Mode is called "uma" and I actually was wondering what was the origin of the name!

Bumping because this is highly interesting! and because I had a very enjoyable time playing with some of our Japanese players tonight! tanoshikatta~ ^ _^b

Last edited:
Back