PSO gameplay variants

phantasystarved

worse than a Humar
Guildcard
I was inspired to make this thread after seeing NDW's GM announcement that he had leveled every section ID to 80. Congrats on that, by the way, that takes some time!

It occurred to me that a lot of us who have played PSO for so many years have created self-made challenges in order to rekindle the flame, as it were. Because let's face it, this game is old and it can get to the point where in order to maintain your interest you need to spice it up a little.

Hardcore mode spawned from this, of course, and here on Ephinea they actually get it built in! That's a great example right there.

Something I've been doing for years in the Gamecube version, though, is LotL (Live off the Land) mode, otherwise known as self-found items only. I have literally like, ten memory cards filled with just LotL characters.

The rule is just about self-explanatory... you can only use items you find or make on your own, with your own section ID. I've always done this soloing, but I guess it'd be okay to party up as long as you're not being powerleveled and you only pick up items if they're dropping them from your ID. I would looove to have this as an actual game mode, but it's probably too much work to implement for too small an audience!

Anyway, this dramatically changes the game. There are few easy roads using these rules, as you can no longer throw on a level 200 mag, an S-Rank and the best units and annihilate everything. Try playing as a Greenill Hunter, or a Pinkal Ranger, or a Skyly Force this way and you begin to realize that although they are definitely challenging combinations... even they have their quirky good points.

So with this spirit in mind, I'm wondering what other self-inflicted challenges you all have made for yourselves along the way! I'd be interested in hearing them, and perhaps even trying some of them myself!

Reactions: Mad
i always did that shit in skyrim, only using stuff i found never buying or making anything
usually did it on higher difficulty and it was very fun :)

that said playing pso without a 40% battle unit would trigger me so hard, otherwise it sounds pretty fun

Reactions: CTB
Another good gameplay mode is what we called Iron Man Mode.

You use your current character and you start with ONLY your mag and one attack speed boosting unit. It's damn near impossible without your mag's base stat boosts in Ult mode and you probably won't find anything to boost speed during the run. We tried it without the speed unit but it's just unbearable, and the point is to have fun. (The kicker is you need to find an armor with at least one slot before you can use it!)

Deposit all money and items except the mag (and the unit) and make a full run through an Episode or a set of quests of your choosing. Use only what you find during the run, and only use Meseta from selling what you find during the run. No tapping in to your bank allowed!

It's good fun!

Edit: Forgot to mention: NO weapon or armor shop usage allowed. Only the regular item shop can be used, and you can only use money made during the run!

(Now, if you see 50 hit Charge Vulcans on sale, by all means stock up on them for when you return to normal gameplay, but don't interfere with the run!) :p

Edit 2: This is much more fun with a full party that includes a FO.

Last edited:
I was inspired to make this thread after seeing NDW's GM announcement that he had leveled every section ID to 80. Congrats on that, by the way, that takes some time!
I didn't make an announcement on that. I may have mentioned that PINKAL was Lv 80 and REDRIA was next towards Lv 80.

I do intend to finish all Section IDs to Lv 80 though. I'm getting there!

After that I'll level a HUnewearl and a FOnewm for item unsealing purposes.

I always wanted to make S-rank only weapon character but never got round to it. You just reminded me. Thanks

I always wanted to make S-rank only weapon character but never got round to it. You just reminded me. Thanks
I have a NM account and HC account dedicated to S-Rank making and mag raising. I find it easiest to have it set up this way:
  1. HUcast
  2. HUcaseal
  3. FOnewearl
  4. Mag Raising Chacarter

I meant a normal / HC character that uses S-ranks only.

Back