PSO:BB Character Animations, Help Needed!

Wilhuf

Overanalyzer
Guildcard
With the help of @tofuman, @kion and others, I've managed to extract the PSO:BB character animations from the client data files. I've build an animation viewer and now I'm trying to catalogue all the animations. I was hoping you guys could help me!

How to Help

1. The tab called "Attack Animations" contains a table of all the attack animations per class. Check that table for an animation we haven't classified.

2. Then go the "Master Animation List" tab and filter it by category "Attack".

3. Use the model viewer to compare animations with your character in-game.

4. Post your findings or PM me for edit rights.

Good to Know

You don't need to check every single animation because most are categorized, so you know which ones are attack animations or something else. There are also obvious patterns in the file, so finding an animation is easier than you think. For example, combo animations always follow each other in the list.

Other Animation Types

You can also help with the other animations by simply going through the list on the model viewer and figure out what each animation is.

Info

Model/animation viewer:
https://www.phantasmal.world/
Scroll wheel = zoom
Left click = move
Right click = rotate
You can choose a character class and an animation on the left. For clarification, there's a single animation list, not one per character class. Part of the work is figuring out which animation belongs to which class.

Spreadsheet to keep track of things (PM me your e-mail for editing rights):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e0WmX1Q9BImJy6eG1pWr7PFs5gRppUNs1lXRVOsvBgo/edit#gid=0

Source code for phantasmal.world (for software developers):
https://github.com/DaanVandenBosch/phantasmal-world

Why?

Personally, I mainly need the weapon animations for a DPS calculator I'm working on that will be added to phantasmal.world. This calculator will allow you to accurately compare weapons in various scenarios. Having all the animations catalogued could be useful for other applications though.

Last edited:
Thanks I'll be thinking about this nonsense for awhile:

78VKOX0.jpg

I've added a tab called "Attack Animation Analysis" which compares the frame counts from the player animation file with frame counts from the wiki (thank you @Matt for painstakingly recording animations and manually counting the frames!). It seems like all animation speeds are multiplied by a factor per class. This data is probably somewhere in a file... If we can find it we'll have exact frame counts.

I've also added a more detailed guide on how to help. So next time you're on, just take a quick look at the second spreadsheet tab and see if you can help find one or two animations.

Last edited:
The client's data directory has these files for each character:

upload_2019-7-7_18-25-3.png

The bml file is an archive of the nj files. the plAtex.afs file is probably an archive of textures. But the plAsmp.rel file might contain things like animation speeds.

Figure I would update and bump the thread for more documentation.

I added about 40%ish of the chart with animations and what they match. Feel free to double check.

I don't know female animations really except the specialized ones, so if someone would fill those in if they know what they are that would be excellent!

Back