Ps4 - Which to get?

Gareth

Guildcard
Hey so after a hiatus of 10 years or so from gaming, I've been thinking of getting a ps4 besides just playing retro psx games, and PSO.

I'm trying to decide which to get. I'm leaning towards the slim, but don't want to regret the purchase. I really want to play the Digimon CyberSleuth game, as well as FFXV. Don't think I'll be interested in the VR as I don't want to spend a ton on this. Thought about Destiny, or maybe another MMO in the future. Would the slim be a good choice?

Hey so after a hiatus of 10 years or so from gaming, I've been thinking of getting a ps4 besides just playing retro psx games, and PSO.

I'm trying to decide which to get. I'm leaning towards the slim, but don't want to regret the purchase. I really want to play the Digimon CyberSleuth game, as well as FFXV. Don't think I'll be interested in the VR as I don't want to spend a ton on this. Thought about Destiny, or maybe another MMO in the future. Would the slim be a good choice?
There is no PS4 Slim unless if you are talking about PS4 Pro. If you got a regular TV and don't care about enhanced graphics, PS4 is for you. However, if you have a 4K TV and want enhanced graphics, PS4 Pro is for you.

If you've got the money then you may as well go for the Pro. Then again it depends how often you'll use it. It's hard to justify spending a lot of money on anything and rarely using it.

Ed

You don't need the PS4 Pro if you have a 1080p TV unless you like slightly higher refresh rates on certain games.
Not just higher refresh rates, also super-sampling as well. (Less jaggies, even at the same resolution.)

Considering all of sony slim consoles up to date have brought worse gaming experience than the original fat ones (slim consoles having massive fps drops in some titles). I don't know what to say about the ps4 slim although it seems they were released in reverse order this time around so I'm assuming most games are tested upon regular ps4.

However, it's been a fact some titles run slower on the ps4 pro than the regular ps4 due to 4k/supersampling and you can't change those settings (1080p supersampling is the equivalent of 4k in terms of performance requirements). If as a gamer, all you require is fluid gameplay, you may be disappointed by some titles if you get the pro console. Also, not every titles have had graphic improvements, it's up to the game developers.

Current gen hardware simply isn't cut for high end AAA 4k gaming unless you own dual gtx 1080 ti in sli mode for the 60fps experience. It's still a niche market.

However, it's been a fact some titles run slower on the ps4 pro than the regular ps4 due to 4k/supersampling and you can't change those settings (1080p supersampling is the equivalent of 4k in terms of performance requirements). If as a gamer, all you require is fluid gameplay, you may be disappointed by some titles if you get the pro console.

Oh. So some games are more fluid on the PS4 and some are more fluid on the PS4 Pro? Is there a list which games are affected?

I don’t have a PS4 yet, but wanted to buy the Pro, because I read that it can lead to more stable FPS in certain games. I don’t care about graphics, only about performance.

You have a point, but I don't think it's so black and white. No-one wants to spend over $300 for something and realize they should have went for something $100 more down the road later. I guess some people opt for the highest end of something just in case, and that's a large part of the marketing here.

But in a sense, if one doesn't care about the latest TV and every latest gadget and slightly better loading times, then the Pro probably isn't necessary.

You have a point, but I don't think it's so black and white. No-one wants to spend over $300 for something and realize they should have went for something $100 more down the road later. I guess some people opt for the highest end of something just in case, and that's a large part of the marketing here.

But in a sense, if one doesn't care about the latest TV and every latest gadget and slightly better loading times, then the Pro probably isn't necessary.
Which one did you get?

Which one did you get?

I haven't bought it yet, unfortunately. My recharge adapter for my macbook pro crapped out so I had to replace it which ate up some of what I was going to spend. Probably going to pay off my credit card fully beforehand, as well.

Back