Possibility of running on Raspberry Pi

MyNameIsMud

Hi, before I start digging into this, has anyone installed successfully installed ephinea on their Pi yet?

The Pi uses an ARM processor, whereas PSO requires an x86 processor. Playing PSO PC/BB is impossible on a Pi and always will be. It may eventually be possible to play PSO DC/GC on a Pi, as both consoles have emulators that can run on ARM processors.

Was able to run PSOBB with no issues in my HP Stream 7 (Windows 8.1) and I got bought that for 50$. Mind you it'll add up via Bluetooth keyboard and there is only one micro USB to work off of ...

Also are we talking about running a game or a server?

Just playing the game on the server. HP stream is a little big though. Aleron Ives, thanks for clearing that up, I have seen the udoo for $90. It even has better specs than pi. Is there any reason you see that it might not work? My main idea was to make a handheld to play this game and a couple other PC games.

Oh, after you informed me of the processor differences I tried to find one that was not ARM. I must have misread. My mistake. I guess I will abandon my search for mobile PSO for the time being.

Oh, after you informed me of the processor differences I tried to find one that was not ARM. I must have misread. My mistake. I guess I will abandon my search for mobile PSO for the time being.

My phone is using a x86 processor (Intel Atom Z2580) so it's definitely possible to have a portable device that could run PSO... but I dunno if you can find something similar to a rasberry using a chip like that.

Edit: Maybe that thing can do the job : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-x86-the-most-powerful-maker-board-ever

It can run Windows 10 totally fine from what I can see in the video below.

My phone is using a x86 processor (Intel Atom Z2580) so it's definitely possible to have a portable device that could run PSO... but I dunno if you can find something similar to a rasberry using a chip like that.

Edit: Maybe that thing can do the job : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-x86-the-most-powerful-maker-board-ever

It can run Windows 10 totally fine from what I can see in the video below.

That is probably the product that made google lead me to their site. Looks like it is still in the kick start stage though. Hopefully the raspberry pi is just the beginning of these mini computers. A phone is more of what I am thinking in terms of size but I think all the peripherals required to make PSO happen would not be possible. I am not sure of your phone, but I know if I hooked a controller to it, it would take up my only micro USB port and with my phone playing games while connected to the internet it would die in less than a couple hours. I would be very curious to see if your phone could run PSO at all though.

That's actually an interesting idea. While a phone screen would be a bit small to play the game, it could perfectly run on a tablet computer as long as it's Windows compatible. One could simply add a touchscreen overlay to the game so you can control things without the need for external peripherals (this has already been made for other games aka Overwolf Touchfox or w/e alternative).

According to their website, these udoo x86 boards support Windows so I don't see the issue with them. If you have a spare controller to bring along, this should be good enough. I'm sure there are small cases specially made for these as well to protect the boards. As long as you have wifi with Internet connection of course.

A keyboard sounds too big to bring along imo, I know some drivers allow you to control the computer with a game controller the same as you would with a mouse (which also allows you to use the virtual keyboard if required). Probably a hassle to configure though. There are also type pad controllers for game consoles if you don't like the virtual keyboard, but idk how reliable they are on PC.

Edit: Alternatively, there are mini-itx boards you can get that are smaller than the ones you're used to see (Depends on how small you want everything to be).

Last edited:
Back