Poor framerate on ridiculously OP computer.

Ade

;3
Hi Team,

My system:

Intel i7 6700k 4.0 GHZ Quad Core with 4 Virtual Cores
Evgo Nvidia GTX 1070 Video Card
16 GB DDR4 RAM
1 GB Solid State Drive

I recently bought a 1440p (2k) monitor, and even after turning off my stream, turning off the item drop checker, and lowering all PSOBB graphical settings to minimal (except draw distance), I am getting severe framerate drops. This is whether I run on the native resolution (2560 x 1440) or lower it back to the settings I used on my old 1080p monitor.

This is infuriating because I can run DOOM 2016 on "Ultra" graphics at 75 FPS...

Any suggestions? Ie. Is there some setting in my video card where I can tell it to work harder on PSOBB? Temperature wise, my video card doesn't even break a sweat when running BB, so I don't understand why it's running so crappy.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Check to see if Gsync is enabled or not (if you have a gsync monitor) in the Nvidia control panel. It can be screwy with PSO.

Reactions: Ade
Will do! I'm at work right now, but I'm going to try this first thing when I get home. Thanks!!!

Will do! I'm at work right now, but I'm going to try this first thing when I get home. Thanks!!!
No problem. I personally run G-sync only enabled in fullscreen mode and run PSO in a window. Good luck!

If I change this G-sync setting, is it going to hurt any other games performance? Or would I maybe have the option to only do it for PSO? Thanks.

Do you have a multi monitor setup? I recently started using a new monitor that also connects to my 60 inch TV running dual screen setup and was having massive FPS drops. As soon as I switched back to the old monitor I didn't have the FPS drop issue. I have no idea why my new monitor caused the FPS drop, but both my old/current monitor and the new one was a 1920x1080 resolution monitor.

If I change this G-sync setting, is it going to hurt any other games performance? Or would I maybe have the option to only do it for PSO? Thanks.

What monitor do you have? If it's not a G-Sync monitor then you shouldn't notice any issues with it on or off.

If it is a G-Sync monitor that doesn't have a 30Hz(minimum) - xxxHz(max) range or LFC then you'll see an issue with PSO since the FPS tends to be 28-30.

If you disable G-Sync on a G-Sync monitor you won't get any performance loss unless you turn V-Sync On and your PC cant sustain the monitor's max FPS (60,120, or 144, whichever your max range is) since there will be some input lag introduced.

Also G-Sync is an On/Off thing that's controlled via your monitor and NVCP, not profile based.

Do you have a multi monitor setup? I recently started using a new monitor that also connects to my 60 inch TV running dual screen setup and was having massive FPS drops. As soon as I switched back to the old monitor I didn't have the FPS drop issue. I have no idea why my new monitor caused the FPS drop, but both my old/current monitor and the new one was a 1920x1080 resolution monitor.

Oops. I missed this post. Yeah I have a dual-monitor now. One is 1440p and the other is 1080p. I don't have problems with any newer software. The video card actually has the ability to use up to 4 monitors, and I'm only using 2... :(

you won't get any performance loss unless you turn V-Sync On and your PC cant sustain the monitor's max FPS (60,120, or 144, whichever your max range is)

v-sync PSO locks at 30, since PSO maxes at 30. So you'd get performance loss if you couldn't maintain 30, because then it would try to lock at 15 (or if it couldnt do that, then 10).

Oops. I missed this post. Yeah I have a dual-monitor now. One is 1440p and the other is 1080p. I don't have problems with any newer software. The video card actually has the ability to use up to 4 monitors, and I'm only using 2... :(

If you can't fix it, some troubleshooting things to try:

1) Classic fullscreen

2) Turn off 2nd monitor when you play PSO. Turn it back on when you don't play PSO.

3) Make sure you haven't accidentally fucked with your settings and enabled frame skip etc.

4) Enable v-sync.

5) Disable v-sync.

idk lol

Thanks, Jeff. I will be trying many things. I really don't want to shut off one of the monitors because I like to watch my Twitch chat. There's only like 2 people who ever post in there, but I like to be able to respond in real time ;-;

Thanks, Jeff. I will be trying many things. I really don't want to shut off one of the monitors because I like to watch my Twitch chat. There's only like 2 people who ever post in there, but I like to be able to respond in real time ;-;

Do you have a phone or tablet you could use? Does Twitch support chatting with such devices?

Yeah. That's what I was doing before, but the screen is tiny... Hopefully I can find a fix.

From the standpoint of pure memory / parameters, there's no logical reason my computer shouldn't be able to run this smoothly. I built a PC back in 2005 that could run PSO on full settings, and this one is probably 15x more powerful...

where do the frame drops happen
is it consistent or random in those locations, and do those drops persist or does your fps shoot back up almost immidiately
are you able to see the exact amount of fps drop through an overlay of some sort (mainly to determine if its related to vsync)
check if your gpu is downclocking when its running pso (probably gonna need gpu-z)

I didn't have a framrate overlay but the framerate was dropping enough that it was obvious to the naked eye. It usually happens when whipping the camera around, when large spawns emerge, or when someone is casting Gifoie. It will correct itself afterward, but these things happen often enough that it's very annoying.

but the screen is tiny

Does Twitch have an overlay that shows your chat on top of PSO? If you set up a 2nd keyboard, you could reply on your phone but read it on top of PSO. (Assuming such an overlay doesn't cause performance issues)

You could try to set your pso to high priority through your task manager. Just right click and change priority. That stopped virtually all my lag, but I only use 1monitor. Good luck

Erm...it's a 1440p 75 HZ monitor. I don't know if it's a G-Sync monitor.
Rip. I'd check to see if NVCP has VSync on then.

Hmm, while I personally haven't experienced any issues with the latest W10 update on my 4k monitors I wonder if you might be experiencing this issue https://winbuzzer.com/2017/01/12/wi...ighlighting-problem-automatic-patches-xcxwbn/

There's a fix coming soon
https://winbuzzer.com/2017/01/27/wi...te-catalog-several-fixes-improvements-xcxwbn/

From the standpoint of pure memory / parameters, there's no logical reason my computer shouldn't be able to run this smoothly. I built a PC back in 2005 that could run PSO on full settings, and this one is probably 15x more powerful...

PSO is a weird game. It loves older hardware, the game speed on an XP machine with an AGP card is much faster than a system running a PCI-E card and XP/W7/W8.1/W10

Last edited:
Back