also I finished THE GAME

Last edited:
losing switch online tomorrow b/c trial over, rip

there goes using whatever they call wonder trade now

edit: got another trial thanks to My Nintendo lol, I'm good until the 23rd now

also I finished THE GAME
bout fucking time

grinding out my shiny charm...

hmu if you need shield exclusives and have sword exclusives i can borrow for a sec :)

EMiA0KTVAAE0KYo

hell yea

lewd, but how are the IVs and nature?

I don't really know the meta for competitive mons, just wanted a shiny Dragapult because it looked cool

rash nature (which seems "ok" for this guy)

haven't checked IVs yet, but not terribly concerned with them because I'll just max them later with berries

So, Rash is a good nature for a mixed attacker, especially one that uses life orb. I prefer Adamant or Jolly on my Dragapult, especially since I use a Choice Band set.

Berries do not affect IVs, the only remove EVs, IVs are fixed. You can alter the IVs for that individual pokemon with a bottle cap (1 iv per) or a gold bottle cap (one will max all 6 IVs on any pokemon). You cannot reduce IVs, or change their value in games where hidden power existed. Hidden power was originally a move that only couldn't be normal type. After that It couldn't be normal or fairy type. As of gen 8, it doesn't even work. It wasn't in generation 1 but was introduced as the only move Unown could use. Unown is a pokemon introduced in generation 2, but doesn't even have any known attacks in generation 8, so what it will do once it is reintroduced in a future game is a mystery at this time. Prior to generation 6, Hidden power had a variable base power of 40-70 that was determined by IVs. In generations 6 and 7, Hidden power was always 60 base power before factoring things like same type attack bonus and the like. Type was also determined by IVs. in Generations 2 and 3, the type of hidden power you received would determine if it was a physical or special move. Fire for example was a special type in gens 3, 2, and 1, while Rock, for example was a physical type. In generations 4-7. all hidden powers were calculated as a special attack, thanks to the Physical/Special/Status move category split.

EVs are calculated by a pretty easy formula at lv 100, but they affect stats immediately at any level.

4 EVs = 1 point at level 100 in any particular stat. IE, 4 HP EVs = 1 more actual point of HP, etc. You can add 252 EVs in any stat (in gen 5 and earlier you cap at 255, but 252 was the max effective count because 252 is the highest divisible by 4. 255 is not. this was reduced to 252 in gen 6 to make competetive mons easier to get into. The maximum boost by EV training is a whopping 63 points in that stat. You have 510 evs to play with, but only 508 count, the other two are kind of like a buffer. Most pokemon end up with a 252/252/4 spread such as Barraskewda. Barraskewda with a 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed EV spread gains 63 points in Attack and Speed and 1 point in HP. EVs do not exist in generation 1 and generation 2, where something similar, but much more complicated called "stat exp" is used.

IVs on the other hand...

IVs are worth 1 point each, and boost the base stat by their value. an IV of 0 means you have the lowest possible (useful on suicide destiny bond sets where the usual set is 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 Sp.Def EVs with a 0IV in each of the respective stat to make them super easy to kill, in speed on Trick room and Gyro Ball abusers (slower is better for both of these), and any pokemon that doesn't use a physical attack gets a hindering nature such as Bold, Calm, Modest, or Timid and a 0IV and 0EVs in attack. The benefits of lower attack on a pokemon that doesn't use a physical attack is reduced damage from confusion and fowl play and less HP restored by an opponent's Strength Sap attack (which is a broken move if you ask me). IVs range from 0-31 on any pokemon since generation 3, and 0-15 on pokemon in generations 1 and 2, where 1IV is worth 2 points.

Natures are the final thing that affect a pokemon's base stats. Any nature except Docile, Serious, Quirky, Hardy, and Bashful will have an effect on stat growth. Adamant, for example, adds 10% to your Attack stat at the cost of 10% to to Special Attack. so if you have an attack stat of 300 with a neutral nautre (Docile, Serious, Quirky, Hardy, or Bashful),Having the excat same pokemon with the exact same EVs, IVs, and Level becomes 330 with an adamant nature. Conversely, your 200 Special attack stat has now been reduced to 180. any remaining tenth or less of a number is rounded down (you never round it up even if was .999999999999 or whatever). As of generation 8, all of the nature mint items, except the serious mint, will change your 10% boost and 10% reduction to whatever type of mint you have chosen. For example, the pokemon we have chosen to use our mint on has an innate adamant nature. Lets say we change it to Modest. Modest is a 10% boost to Special Attack, and a 10% reduction to Attack. So now, your pokemon that had 330 in base stat with Adamant's boost to Attack now has a 270 stat with Modest, and a 10% boost to special attack in place of the 10% reduction would change Special attack to 220. Typically you want to boost your highest EV trained stat. That said, sometimes you want to boost your second highest stat, such as on Dubwool, where Calm is typically better than Bold, despite Dubwool having an astronomical effective defense with the Fluffy ability. This choice becomes more serious in competitive team building, especially on sweepers where the decision to boost speed over offense and vice versa becomes even more important, and should be considered with much thought. IVs in Gen 8 should always be maximized except in the situations outlined in the previous paragraph, where they should be 0. Again, in order to get a 0 IV, you have to get in innately, be that through chain breeding or random chance in the wild and combined with regular bottle caps. gold bottle caps always maximize all IVs, so yeah.

All of the stat reduction berries reduce their respective stat's EVs by 10 points each, so you never need more than 26 of any berry when used on one pokemon to achieve this goal. Berries of this sort will also boost Happiness even if they don't reduce EVs. Happiness is usually used to evolve pokemon, such a Cleffa to Clefairy or Eevee into Umbreon or Espeon, etc. in generations 2-7, Happiness also affected Return and Frustration's base powers. Maximum Happiness boosted return's base power up to 102 and minimized Frustration's, While Minimum Happiness was the reverse. Since Return and Frustration are no longer usable moves in gen 8, most pokemon don't have any benefit from being maximized or minimized in happiness.

You can get a better understanding of Game mechanics here:
https://www.serebii.net/games/mechanics.shtml

Side notes: Bottle Caps, Gold Bottle Caps, and Nature mints do not effect Breeding. Breeding is calculated by the pokemon's stats and nature upon catching or hatching. If you have a pokemon that has IVs of 5 HP / 16 Attack / 13 Defense / 26 Special Attack / 25 Special Defense, 7 speed, with a Calm nature upon hatching or being caught, even if you use an adamant mint and a (gold) bottle cap to maximize its usefulness by changing its effective nature and perfecting its stats, it will still calculate any offspring it produces using the original IVs and Calm nature. EVs have no bearing on breeding in any way, shape, or form. A serious mint will nullify your nature boost and hinderance to stats.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

you can just want a shiny because they look cool
I caught a square shiny durant a few days ago.

I intend to make it an Adamant, 5 IV (no special attack) Hustle abuser with 252 attack / 252 speed / 4 defense spread and Life orb. Thanks to the nature mints I can acheive this even though it was caught with something like rash or some crap nature.

Durant
Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Hustle
Adamant
First Impression
Iron Head
Thunder Fang
Superpower

i should've specified, i completely understand EVs/IVs and natures, i just don't care for them in this generation since i can just change any stats i want with mints/caps

Back