Phantasy Star Universe

Magatsu

The Calamity Bringer
Guildcard
I have finally got my hands on a Copy Of AOTI for the offline mode on PC, and plan on marathoning the story from PSU Episode 1 to Episode 2 : AOTI. Sure PSU got alot of flack, but it is what started me on this series so I have a soft spot in my heart for it and love it.

Yeah I think there's a lot of us patiently awaiting clementine. They're a long way off from finished, especially now that they might have to rewrite major portions of the server. :(

Oh its offline right now? Cuz I have a buddy that plays on Clementine and from what I know its been up for some time

It recently went down due to their hosting machine basically failing (thats a short summary).

never understood why it was hated so much. It was different and that's exactly what I wanted when I originally heard about it. It was something played differently then PSO v1 - PSO BB. I still have my PSU and PSU:AOTI in the box. Awaiting clementine to come back up so I can play online as I never got a chance to back when Sega had it up.

I plan on doing a marathon stream of it from PSU to PSU AOTI Offline. I love the game and I enjoying Portable 1 and 2. I'm getting use to BB still, and it is extremely Enjoyable, Just PSU has my love for starting me out on this wonderful series

Phantasy Star Universe is actually one of the games that I've had my eyes on since I first started playing Ephinea PSOBB. Not sure if I'll be able to free up enough space for PSU Clementine though, so I'm settling for Phantasy Star Portable on a PSP emulator for now until I clear enough space/get a new/better laptop. Gameplay is pretty fun (especially in the case of using ranged weapons, since there's more freedom with aiming them compared to PSO), and I like the ability to create weapon sets and switch between them to fit the situation, but I had to get used to a different control scheme, since PsPor uses Square for the standard attack (which would be X by default for a 360 controller for the emulator, and I'm more used to using A for normal attacks for PSOBB. Changing the controls would likely mess me up if I played any other PSP games, though).

It recently went down due to their hosting machine basically failing (thats a short summary).

I've been following the posts and news for the Clementine server, and unless I read wrong, the server seems to be back up now. But from the sound of it, the server definitely needs to be stress-tested to see what all needs to be worked on to let it run better.

Yeah its been back up a couple days as of now. To be quite honest, I'm really over testing myself but I know they still have a lot of kinks to iron out before it becomes official (like you dont want to invest a ton of time and your char just fails to save or corrupts). I'll probably be waiting a long time without helping test but I'm just so burnt out on it. I'd rather play the real game as selfish as that is.

Yeah its been back up a couple days as of now. To be quite honest, I'm really over testing myself but I know they still have a lot of kinks to iron out before it becomes official (like you dont want to invest a ton of time and your char just fails to save or corrupts). I'll probably be waiting a long time without helping test but I'm just so burnt out on it. I'd rather play the real game as selfish as that is.

Yeah, I'm kinda feeling the same way myself. I wouldn't mind getting on and helping test stuff, but based on some of the difficulties that have been present with Clementine (and, from what I read, other attempted versions before it), there's likely going to be many more data wipes down the road as long as the server is still being built and worked on. So I'm going to wait until the game and server are much more stable before I really put effort into helping intentionally break the game to find the holes and exploits that would need to be found and dealt with after the server issues are resolved. Should also give me enough time to save up for a better laptop (i.e. better than my current, 6-year-old laptop that has to run many games on low settings) so that I can have much more fluid gameplay (which is really needed for a series like PSO/PSU).

I bought it on PS2 for 5 bucks when I was in High-School and I must admit that I couldn't stand the characters in the story. Maybe I'll try to give it another shot

I played PSU/AOTI on my PS2 a long time ago. I had an absolute blast with it- but dear sweet jesus I hated the crafting system.

My friend got PSU for the Xbox 360, and I tried it and liked it enough to buy it for the PC. Got it brand new for like 5$ on ebay (along with the sequel whenever that came out), and I still have both in great condition. I thoroughly beat both of the story modes and even played offline mode a lot, but I never cared to play online when the official Sega server was alive. I sort of forgot about it for years and only recently got a renewed interest in it after playing Clementine a lot.

I appreciate the amount of effort put into everything. The story is a lot more vivid and involving than PSO (at least when you're playing as Ethan in PSU, not so much when you're Laia's sidekick in AotI). There's a ton of music, some great, some offensively bad. The combat is improved in many ways; there's manual first-person aiming, a lock-on and strafing system, unique special combo attacks to every weapon type (Photon Arts), etc. The sheer variety in weapons and spells is particularly cool.

However PSU isn't without its faults. It might have a much more engaging story, but the story itself is kind of meh and the protagonist of PSU (Ethan Waber) is insufferable. AotI's story is significantly worse. You basically play as a fly on the wall to Laia Martinez's story. And PSU actually had closure at the end, AotI's conclusion was irredeemably shitty. That being, there is no fucking conclusion, go play online to see what happens next. Which is doubly shitty considering, you know, the servers are closed. Did I mention there's no rare drops like in PSO, and you have to craft fucking everything? Oh yeah, and it has the worst grinding system of just about any Phantasy Star game too.

On Clementine: Horribly unfinished but I've been kind of enjoying myself. Installing it is a pain in the ass, I have to use a 3rd party program to get my controller to work, and if I want to play in borderless window full screen 1080p I need a specialized exe and another program to work. Oh, and doing the latter breaks the minimap. BUT, despite all that, it's still took my attention away from Ephinea for the past few days. Crafting isn't implemented and a lot of areas and quests don't work, so you have to buy all of your weapons and armor from shops. And getting meseta is a fucking pain in the ass. I cannot stress this enough. If you're like me, and you like to try out different weapons and Types (PSU's class system) it requires a lot of time and patience. Also the shitty grinding system isn't implemented yet, so I am honestly amazed how far you can make it with ungrinded weapons.

:edit: Added picture from Clementine. Bee is radically different in PSU. I like the arm and the leg parts, still undecided on the chest. Maybe people like the robo-boobs, idk. The color options aren't as good as I remember it being, so I can't make bee's outfit as yellow as I'd like.

full

Last edited:
When I joined PSU the PC servers were already dying. The first person I met told me I should've started the game a few years ago. But I stuck it out through until they turned it off. After that I then played on the Japanese PSU servers for a year or so until they turned that off. After all that I decided to try PSO2. Whilst it's a great game I feel that PSO2 took so much away that PSU added. It's a shame as PSO2 had a lot of potential.

I hope Clementine is one day fully playable. I've dabbled with it a couple of times when they had online alpha, but I want to wait for a full game before investing time in it again. I still think PSO private servers will outlive PSU

Ed

I played PSU on 360 with a bunch of Xbox Live friends that were really into it. I still liked PSOEp1&2 for Gamecube better but PSU had some really cool player housing. I remember my friend had a room themed like a diner that everyone would just hang out in, and he had this furniture item that was a parrot and it would repeat chat lines back sometimes.

Back