Phantasy Star Online Version 1 For Dreamcast Is The Best Version

PSO4Lyfe

I grew up playing PSO on the Dreamcast. I didn't even know about Version 2 even though I played online with version 2 people I never cared to pay monthly just for some new items. It wasn't until a long time later In Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst I learned that they got the Ultimate area with all new monster and level reskins. Honestly, I don't see the point in ultimate edition. It's kinda weird if you think about it. Version 1 was the completed final game. Then they threw in a weird reskin and changed level cap to 200 from 100. Version 1 had everything you needed. The more I think about it the additional content they added just made the game ridiculous. The more they added over time the more weird the game got. And that includes Episode 2 etc where the levels weren't even randomized. It just feels like way too much content for such a simple game.

The only reason I even liked version 2 was because casts got traps and they added the quick weapon swap and item use feature but I could live without it honestly.

On a side note back then everyone could use long ranged spread needles and they had things like resist/all or whatever that made you immune to all adverse effects. overpowered I guess, lol.

Last edited:
I can kinda relate to what you say, I remember purchasing a used dreamcast and a copy of pso v1, I didn't think much of it until I played the game online, remember having to travel miles just to find a keyboard so I could chat without having to use my controller to type with lol. I also had to travel miles to get ver2 of the game, the hinters liscense was a big turn off. Looking back now I kinda wish you could still play v1 onlline, I suppose there's a way to do it, but it probably wouldn't attract much attention, nevertheless it was a really good version of the game.

I mean there's nothing wrong with having a ton of additional content at your disposal since PSOBB also still has the base game but i still think its a absurd amount of content for a small dungeon crawler. The original PSO was the most "serious" it just got goofier and goofier. The giant monsters just look ridiculous in later levels and ultimate mode. I love the Mille Marteaux and Agastya mag but Apsaras and Guld Millas were good enough. The original content gets taken for granted with the ridiculous bonus content.

PSO v1 was an "alright" game. It was stupid easy to play, but all the classes were basically the same, stat-wise, with the exception being that non-casts could use techs. (Which meant there was no reason to use a cast since all the stats were basically the same between classes.)

PSO v1 hardly had any content outside of rare items that had absurd drop rates to keep you playing.

There wasn't much to explore and all of the quests were repetitive.

PSO v2 at least tried to add some content in the form of Ultimate mode, add more items to find, added a battle and challenge mode, plus made the classes different from each other.

The problem with PSO v2 is that they made Ultimate mode too hard while still keeping the absurd drop rates.

What I mean by too hard is that there was an extreme difficulty ramp up in Ultimate Mines and more so in Ultimate Ruins in regards to monster stats. They hit too hard and had way too much evasion/defense. You could almost never damage them unless you were lucky enough to find one of the common rare items like Imperial Pick with some decent hit to it and also were a decent enough level. Force techs also still sucked ass.

Then Episode I & II came out on Gamecube and, in my opinion, that was the best version of PSO. A lot more content was added with Episode 2, classes were balanced further, item drop rates were relaxed (though there are still some uber hard items to find, there are also a lot of easier to find decent things too).

I don't know, I just felt Episode I & II was the best release of PSO.

... Then Blue Burst came out for PC, added Episode IV, and broke the game again with overpowered items.

The End.

Last edited:
Yeah Episode IV level design and crazy new items was just too much for the base game. Even episode 2 was out of place with its entirely different level design attached to the base game. PSO version 2 ultimate mode was too hard and just a way to milk the dedicated PSO player base with a subscription fee. I was a huge fan of the new weapons and content since it's so much cooler than the base game but that's also the problem. it went from serious to herp derp absurd. I feel a disconnect when exploring PSOBB from episode to episode. It's like three games in one. I guess theyre still doing that with PSO2 and New Genesis. Weird Sega.

PSO v1 was an "alright" game. It was stupid easy to play, but all the classes were basically the same, stat-wise, with the exception being that non-casts could use techs. (Which meant there was no reason to use a cast since all the stats were basically the same between classes.)

PSO v1 hardly had any content outside except rare items that had absurd drop rates to keep you playing.

There wasn't much to explore and all of the quests were repetitive.

PSO v2 at least tried to add some content in the form of Ultimate mode, add more items to find, added a battle and challenge mode, plus made the classes different from each other.

The problem with PSO v2 is that they made Ultimate mode too hard while still keeping the absurd drop rates.

What I mean by too hard is that there was an extreme difficulty ramp up in Ultimate Mines and more so in Ultimate Ruins in regards to monster stats. They hit too hard and had way too much evasion/defense. You could almost never damage them unless you were lucky enough to find one of the common rare items like Imperial Pick with some decent hit to it and also were a decent enough level. Force techs also still sucked ass.

Then Episode I & II came out on Gamecube and, in my opinion, that was the best version of PSO. A lot more content was added with Episode 2, classes were balanced further, item drop rates were relaxed (though there are still some uber hard items to find, there are also a lot of easier to find decent things too).

I don't know, I just felt Episode I & II was the best release of PSO.

... Then Blue Burst came out for PC, added Episode IV, and broke the game again with overpowered items.

The End.
This is the take I completely agree with.

Forest and caves ultimate booma-types are ugly, but apart from that, yes.

Back