Phantasy Star Online : Lore and Story

Asmod3hus

Baguette Hunter
Hi everyone,

I want to know if anyone can give me more info on the actual story/lore of the game ? Because except for the few details we get when questing and some bits of info on the internet, I didn't find anything concerning the story, especially about ep II and IV.

In the game, when you beat Dark Falz 3rd form you see Red Ring Rico coming out of his body but we don't have much more info.

If you have anything about this I'll be glad to hear it :) Thanks ^^

EDIT : I found some stuff on the phantasy star wikia and will post relevant info concerning the lore as I find them.

Last edited:
here is what I found on the interwebs (it's quite long) :

Episode I :

The people of the planet Coral have used up all of its resources in battle, and the world is almost at an apocalyptic state. Running out of options, the people are finally saved when a meteor crashes on the planet, and generates immense energy. Further research reveals that the meteor contains a new energy source, dubbed "Photons" by scientists. Using Photon energy, they are able to construct a ship, Pioneer 1, to launch into space. With a small crew, including the president's daughter, Red Ring Rico, the ship heads into space, in search of the planet the meteor came from. After years of searching, the crew comes across Ragol, a planet with Coral-like conditions, and the source of the photon energy.

Getting word of this, Coral launches its second ship, Pioneer 2, bringing the first residents to Ragol. During their seven year journey, Red Ring Rico, and a few others, explore the planet's surface. They travel through a Forest, venture into a Cave, explore an Mineshaft, and discover ancient Ruins. They realize, too late, that by unsealing the three pillars in previous locations, they have woken up the God of Darkness, Dark Falz. They are defeated and killed by him, and Red Ring Rico is actually infected with the Parasitic Gene "Flow," and mutates into the physical host for Dark Falz. Unleashing his terror, Dark Falz creates an explosion, just as the two Pioneer ships make contact, but the explosion doesn't harm the area itself.

Hunters are sent to the planet to find the source of the explosion, and the peaceful creatures of Ragol have gone evil, due to Dark Falz. The only guides for the young heroes are the recordings left by Red Ringo Rico, and they fall into the same fate as she, falling into the trap of Dark Falz, but he actually gets defeated, even after transcending onto a mental plane to fight the heroes. With him defeated, the citizens of Pioneer 2 are not allowed to leave until they are sure Ragol is safe.

About Red Ring Rico, I learned that after defeating Dark Falz "Rico's spirit is finally free from his possession and floats up and out of his body into the skies as his body dissipates into colored light"

Episode II :
With Dark Falz defeated, the Hunters and citizens of Pioneer 2 feel victorious. Their celebration is short-lived, because they soon find an abandoned laboratory. They find the Central Control Area, which leads to the Seabed, which continues down until you reach the pit of Olga Flow.

You discover, from Flowen's recordings, that he was exploring the area around the lab for a while. He came into contact with Dark Falz, who infected him with the Parasitic Gene "Flow." He actually managed to escape, unlike Rico, and was taken to the same lab for study. He practically gave his body up to the scientists, who attempted to fuse his body with the D-Photon Core. Instead, they mutated him into Olga Flow, a massive beast who attempted to poison all of the scientists. They trapped him at the bottom of a pit, but they all eventually died from the poison, leaving no one to warn the Hunters.

Episode IV :

nothing sadly.

Last edited:
Another thing about the Pioneer Project :

The government of Coral deemed that the Pioneer Project failed and try to salvage the planet for resources by creating Mother Trinity on Coral's moon "Arca". Mother Trinity was a sentient AI that was corrupted by Dark Falz (possibly) and then decided that the inhabitants of Coral were a threat to the planet well being.
Mother Trinity then nuked the planet causing a massive cataclysm event that reverted the remains of the humans back to the dark ages.

Thanks a lot, I didn't find it when I first searched for the backstory, there is so much to learn and the info is scattered all around the quests and secret backstory on Pioneer 2 XD.
It reminds me a little of Dark Soul game where you have to actually do research to understand the story :)
Also I'd love to hear what happened to Rico Tyrell's once you defeat Dark Falz, it's not really clear, is she dead ?

I also found that Dark Falz and Olga Flow reincarnated to be more powerful everytime they were defeated.

Sadly I didn't find much stuff about ep 4 story :/

My god they should make an anime of this story, from the meteor impact to the failed attempt of Ragol's colonization to the Mother Trinity project cataclysm :3

Ep 3 is after ep 4. Ep 4 is 10 years or so from Ep1.

The red ring and olga flow revive issue is dealt with by them having a baby or so.

I should point out that fighting the bosses more than 1 time in the series is canon.

Falz and Olga were growing in power and set to auto life. Each time they or their minions were killed they just came back more powerful and were trying to revive themselves.

The only reason Falz and Olga were truly unable to escape in the end is because Rico and Olga gained control and fused themselves to have a kid. Or something like that.
http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Endu
This Humar is the "son" of Rico and Flowen from them doing that.

latest

This quest bridges ep 1&2 with ep3
http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Star_Memories

This kid is a main character of PSO ep3 and gets himself messed up a bit while doing Blue Star Memories:
http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Break

Break does have some sweet concept art for when he is casting Megid though I got to say.
latest

Ep 4 deals with this character a lot:
http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Rupika

You'll note she has a shield named after her. The single boss in ep4 manifests cause it eats her soul as well or something like that.

http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Kranz
Also I should point out that the government makes clones of dead people.

Last edited:
Back