Performance issues on Mac OS

rukazi93

Hey all,
Thanks to the pinned thread here I could get the game to run on my MacBook Pro Late 2011 with Intel HD Graphics 3000.
While I understand that this is not the fastest of GPUs, I would still think that a game like PSOBB should run at least decent on this GPU with the 'normal' or 'low-end' settings.
I tried all kind of settings from 'high-end' to 'low-end' and also changed various resolutions but I always come to the same results. The game starts off just fine, if the lobby is empty I get a stable and smooth gameplay, but as soon as people are there or I start into Ep1, the game breaks down to around 7-10fps. Is that a sideeffect of the 'windows emulation' and I can't fix it on that machine? or do you guys have some tricks and tweaks that I could try? :)

Thanks all!

I guess you are using Wine to run windows programs under Mac OS? You will lose around 30 percent of your system capacity and it is pretty low end. Installing windows (7) on your mac book might work and do the trick for you. Mac OS is slower than windows anyway on the same hardware.

Thanks for your reply.
I indeed try to run it via Wine, which surprisingly went very straightforward and easy (apart from the performance as mentioned before). I kinda expected a drop in performance due to the emulation, but I actually did not think that it would be that much. I guess it will be time to upgrade to a better laptop at some point then (lol)
If others have potential tweaks that could work (or not), I would appreciate it and would try it.

Your best option would be to try and dualboot if you have enough space for a second OS. I can provide you the software (windows) if needed though. You can try it 30 days unlicensed iirc.

Last edited:
I have similar hardware (late 2011 MacBook Pro, with 16GB of ram and an SSD). By installing winetricks and using the Useglsl=disabled tweak mentioned by Kipsauce in the Linux tutorial thread, I was able to get the game playable. Some areas slow down, so it's not perfect, but it's worth trying.

Back