Passive GPU on Laptops (Resolved)

CARNAGE

haaan
Staff member
Guildcard
Gaming laptops are sol because the game isn't updated to see the passive cards. Anyway you can get a solution so I can take advantage of my nvidia gpu instead being limited to the integrated intel card. I've seen multiple threads but no actual solution...

iirc @falkenjeff contacted Nvidia, and they told him that it's up to the game's publisher to make the game compatible with Nvidia Optimus.

Yup. And other people have tried things and it doesn't work (graphical issues, runs worse than integrated, etc)

good thing all the newer Intel CPUs/AMD CPUs can run this game good otherwise we'd be fucked.

sad thing is we can't play with the AA/AF settings that Intel doesn't support.

Yeah but weve has thing added in to the game and rewritten things ephinea. I was hoping they could add it in to the installer. Don’t have a solution make one lol

I think only Sega could do that, and they have 0 reason to

Use a post-processing solution like ENB.

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/psobb-post-processing.721/

Part of the process includes using custom d3d8.dll & d3d9.dll files that will bypass/proxy Direct3D to DirectX 8. Since PSOBB runs from a DLL, the Nvidia Optimus doesn't recognize it as a process that needs to use the dedicated GPU and off loads it to the CPU. However, this solution should allow your laptop's Nvidia card to pick up the work.

You can use a tool like GPU-Z to check the sensors and confirm the GPU load rises. I play almost exclusively on laptop so I'm not camped out in my office all the time and have had no issues using my Laptop's Nvidia graphics with this method. Hope it helps!

Use a post-processing solution like ENB.

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/psobb-post-processing.721/

Part of the process includes using custom d3d8.dll & d3d9.dll files that will bypass/proxy Direct3D to DirectX 8. Since PSOBB runs from a DLL, the Nvidia Optimus doesn't recognize it as a process that needs to use the dedicated GPU and off loads it to the CPU. However, this solution should allow your laptop's Nvidia card to pick up the work.

You can use a tool like GPU-Z to check the sensors and confirm the GPU load rises. I play almost exclusively on laptop so I'm not camped out in my office all the time and have had no issues using my Laptop's Nvidia graphics with this method. Hope it helps!

I see, I’ll try this tomorrow. When you go to more options what card do you see listed? Can you crank up all the graphics settings?

I see, I’ll try this tomorrow. When you go to more options what card do you see listed? Can you crank up all the graphics settings?

The options dropdown still only lists my Intel HD Graphics on board GPU, but just ignore that. That's not reflective of what gets used in the solution I noted earlier. As for graphics settings, I max out all my sliders without any issues when using this solution, and I'm also using the ENB to do post-processing for improving the quality further.

What you have to understand about these DirectX 8 dll files is that they act as a "hook" when it sees the DLL PSO uses to run the game starting up then it essentially hooks on so that Nvidia will know to use the Graphics card.

tried this in both windowed and classic; windowed hangs on a black screen after launching, classic causes psobb to crash out after launching. any ideas what might be going on? It does sound like the gpu is kicking on in windowed.

edit: @Siushaga are there specific files that I should try first?

Last edited:
tried this in both windowed and classic; windowed hangs on a black screen after launching, classic causes psobb to crash out after launching. any ideas what might be going on? It does sound like the gpu is kicking on in windowed.

edit: @Siushaga are there specific files that I should try first?

@Eva Other than following the instructions in the readme.txt, I don't have many other suggestions. If you're using windowed, then you should use files from the window folder to copy the enb folder and the two dll files to the root of your game folder. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you didn't grab the effect.txt file (as there are multiple downloads) and put that into your root game folder as effect.cfg. If all that fails, then I guess you could try a tool like Windowed Borderless Gaming to handle your full screen windowed mode launch of the game and see if it behaves differently.

Edit: It should be noted that the most important part for the GPU to take over is the two DLL files. If you have issues with ENB, you can ignore that more than likely.

Last edited:
@Eva Other than following the instructions in the readme.txt, I don't have many other suggestions. If you're using windowed, then you should use files from the window folder to copy the enb folder and the two dll files to the root of your game folder. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you didn't grab the effect.txt file (as there are multiple downloads) and put that into your root game folder as effect.cfg. If all that fails, then I guess you could try a tool like Windowed Borderless Gaming to handle your full screen windowed mode launch of the game and see if it behaves differently.

Edit: It should be noted that the most important part for the GPU to take over is the two DLL files. If you have issues with ENB, you can ignore that more than likely.

Yeah, double checked everything and it looks like the GPU is kicking on in windowed but game won't load. Bummer. Thanks anyway though!

edit: just adding the 2 DLL files causes it to crash even if I don't do the rest of the stuff

Back