PAC file issue.

Ade

;3
*Moved from News Forum

Hi @Sodaboy . Thanks for the great event and the update!

I do have one small problem: I've been using the PSO Ep. 3 Menu Sounds pack and some of the sounds no longer work. Is this normal? Would I just have to switch back to the default common.pac?

==============

Also (sorry for another post), if I do need to switch back to the default common.pac, can someone send me that file? I'm worried that if I re-download the entire game to some other folder and then delete the folder after copying the file into my main PSO BB folder, that the newly installed version will somehow mess with the registry when I try to run the game. (I'm not too savvy at this level of operation so this concern may be unfounded.)

Edit: After posting this, I realize it should have gone into the Bug Reports Forum. My apologies. Feel free to delete / move these last 2 posts.

Edit 2: I just remembered I can do that myself, hence this is now in the Bug Reports Forum.

.-.

I'm not sure, I don't use custom PAC stuff. I'll have to tag @tofuman on this one. I'll also ping him on Discord.

I'm not sure, I don't use custom PAC stuff. I'll have to tag @tofuman on this one. I'll also ping him on Discord.

@Sodaboy : You're very kind for looking into this. I want to stress that this is an EXTREMELY minor issue. Please don't waste a lot of time on it. If it's a pain to fix / adjust, I can always get the default common.pac file from someone. I sorta miss the old bleeps and bloops anyway. :3

Was your common.pac made with my Pac manager? If you could send me the file I'll debug why it's failing to process the samples.

Was your common.pac made with my Pac manager? If you could send me the file I'll debug why it's failing to process the samples.

Will do. And no I didn't make it. This is from my super old Scht PSOBB folder and I saved it on a jump drive when I switched computers lol

I'll upload it to Discord :3

...nevermind...it's 8.265 MB and the Discord file max is 8MB lol

I'll PM you. :)

at first i thought it was a difference of pac files, but after patching my client to the current version it broke mine too after it had just been functioning a few minutes ago

it's not going to ruin my life or anything if i cant use it anymore, but i really do prefer the ep3 sfx

I'm also using a non vanilla pac pack and a lot of the sounds aren't working as well.

the update to my pac manager will fix your PAC file. So you can open the PAC in my manager and resave to fix it (https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/pac-files.10819/). The DLL will also be updated with code that will go looking for the sample when it is not where it expects it to be.

Older pac editors were restricted to the size of the original samples so they used to leave alot of white space in between samples. The original client had hard coded files offsets in the EXE so it wasn't an issue. However the code I added to ephinea dynamically loads the PAC and calculates the offsets based on what the PAC states. issue with these other PAC files is that it points to white space so the sample isn't where it expects. I've added code that will keep searching until it finds the offset if the sample isn't where it should be. anyone using malformed PAC's may notice a slight delay in booting of PSOBB if it has to search for many samples but I suspect we're talking a few seconds at most (more like less than 1s)

the update to my pac manager will fix your PAC file. So you can open the PAC in my manager and resave to fix it (https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/pac-files.10819/). The DLL will also be updated with code that will go looking for the sample when it is not where it expects it to be.

Older pac editors were restricted to the size of the original samples so they used to leave alot of white space in between samples. The original client had hard coded files offsets in the EXE so it wasn't an issue. However the code I added to ephinea dynamically loads the PAC and calculates the offsets based on what the PAC states. issue with these other PAC files is that it points to white space so the sample isn't where it expects. I've added code that will keep searching until it finds the offset if the sample isn't where it should be. anyone using malformed PAC's may notice a slight delay in booting of PSOBB if it has to search for many samples but I suspect we're talking a few seconds at most (more like less than 1s)

Whoa. Nice! Thanks, @tofuman :D

Back