One player mode vs normal

James Goddard

Hey, have played PSO since it was on gamecube several years ago but new to the online servers. I had a question that I couldn't find the answer to on the FAQ so I thought I'd post it here.

When creating a game, you have the option of selecting Normal Challenge One Player etc...

I was curious what the difference between Normal and One-player is, it seems like monsters and bosses are easier to kill in one-player mode. I know you have to select Normal to be able to play in a group but are there other advantages to playing in Normal? Are drop rates the same or better in Normal? Thanks in advance!

In the one person mode, enemies are weaker, yeah. They also give less experience. Items and drop rates are the same, though.

There are also quests you can only do in one person which you can't do in Normal and vice-versa.

Thank you for the prompt response! This is more or less exactly what I thought, so if no friends are online you still have the option for one player for easier enemies but obviously probability-wise its better to be able to do the extermination quests that spawn tons of monsters only available in normal mode if hunting for rare items.

Personally I don't play one-person if I am soloing or alone. I just play which quest I am looking to play. (Hunting items/enjoyment/whatever). Sometimes that's NM, sometimes that's OPM. This way I am able to play in a team game without being a burden due to 'becoming used to solo'. Not that you asked or care how I play, just thought it might be helpful.

Yeah that makes sense, I could definitely see getting comfortable playing a certain way when playing OPM.

But then again Solo can come in handy when you are struggling. Specially for newer players.

I would recommend using One Player mode if none of your friends are on and you can't handle normal mode yourself (such as being new to Ultimate mode without any stat boosting options like a high level Mag or saved up rares.) That will allow you to still make progress and possibly find some drops that will make your life easier once you do normal mode.

I still prefer the online experience the most though. More enemies, more experience, more loot, and it's always more enjoyable with other players.

I will say that if you see yourself playing long-term, I would recommend playing through single player mode and complete the missions at the quest counter. Eventually you'll be able to enter some of these missions and speak to npcs that will do things for you (such as combining rare drop components to form an item, converting things, etc). In the meantime I'm sure there are people around who are willing to do this for you.

I would recommend using One Player mode if none of your friends are on and you can't handle normal mode yourself (such as being new to Ultimate mode without any stat boosting options like a high level Mag or saved up rares.) That will allow you to still make progress and possibly find some drops that will make your life easier once you do normal mode.

I agree entierly. The Warrior's Pride mission from solo Ep 4 can be a very effective way to grind up to lvl 80, especially for Forces. It is an interesting option when groups aren't available since you get 2 NPC followers that can be used as tanks for the entire mission. Androids won't have it that easy but any class that can use Resta + S/D should do pretty well and Foes with good nuking potential will rush through the mission like hell after a while. Also, the mission is available from the start so expect some major xp gain for the first few runs. Once lvl 20 is reached, rinse and repeat on hard, then at lvl 40 on very hard etc... Gets boring after a while but still, useful trick sometimes. :)

Back