Oldies PSO Dreamcast

Dreamcast on my old Samsung TI-14N3 VHS Combi CRT 14'', these was the setup when I was a student in Paris between 2001 and 2004.
Both still work just as well (even the VHS player) but...OMG...how the screen is small, I've used my eyes on it ^w^

PSO on my Samsung TV+VHS combo.jpg

Two TV japanese commercials videos for the release of PSO in Japan ^w^ :

I think we all had the same reaction as this young lady, first time we played PSO online, right ? ^w^
Do you remember Io was the first Japanese Spaceship on the official Sonic Team Dreamcast's server ?

Heya Alls ^w^,

Another Huge blast from the past !!
Here they are my 10 pages of Guid Cards on Dreamcast (I think 10 was the limit).
I no longer remember all the players...It's been so long.
BUT maybe you recognize yourself or someone you played with during the official Sonic Team aera ?
It would be great to meet someone again 20 years later ^w^

thumbnail_Dreamcast Guild Cards Collection.jpg

Last edited:
I remember being stuck on the Sega help line for like 2 hours sitting on the van trying to get my Dreamcast to work. MEW silly.

Wasn’t the game insanely poppin back in the day? Id be interested in knowing how many people were online at any time but I think I was told there would be like 6k~ online usually on the GCN servers lol.

Personally the constant 200 that’s been online lately is the most I’ve seen on Eph consistently since I started playing in 2017 and back then it was usually like 90 online. The server just keeps getting better, and I think the DMC patch made a lot of people want to play here over shithack/ultima/destiny.

If 200 seems insane I can’t even imagine several thousand at once lol

Wasn’t the game insanely poppin back in the day? Id be interested in knowing how many people were online at any time but I think I was told there would be like 6k~ online usually on the GCN servers lol.

Personally the constant 200 that’s been online lately is the most I’ve seen on Eph consistently since I started playing in 2017 and back then it was usually like 90 online. The server just keeps getting better, and I think the DMC patch made a lot of people want to play here over shithack/ultima/destiny.

I’d imagine they had backup servers.

And Sega wanted to be a king pin icon but now they are second string. The world needs moe options. Wee stuck here playing a 20 year old game when Microsoft could make something better but simply doesn’t. Sega has PS Universe. Never seen it played though.

I remember driving 60-70 miles to find a store that actually had a Dreamcast keyboard so I could actually type instead of using word select and the virtual keyboard to talk. I drove the same distance to pick up ver2 of the game. I've had a lot of good memories playing the game on pc, but I don't think anything compares to the DC experience.

I remember the lobbies were very, very crowded and It often happened that it was impossible to connect to the servers and we had to try our luck several times.

_ This is what I found on the internet about PSO Network details :

Each server could accommodate one thousand players. Sega initially prepared 20 network servers to accommodate 20,000 online users for game's launch, with room to add more servers as necessary. This was increased to support up to 36,000 players right before launch (2000)

The peak number of users connected simultaneously was 26,000 (2001)
Don't expect these numbers to cap off here, though. Sega plans to get more people Online with PSO through upcoming network events. These events are proving to be quite popular, with the recent Japan-only Famitsu/Sega tie-up, Famitsu Cup, having a total participation of over 70,000. And, of course, there is the upcoming release of Phantasy Star Online version 2. Currently, this update is only planned for Japan, but we suspect it will eventually make its way over to America as well.

Two TV japanese commercials videos for the release of PSO in Japan ^w^ :

I think we all had the same reaction as this young lady, first time we played PSO online, right ? ^w^
Do you remember Io was the first Japanese Spaceship on the official Sonic Team Dreamcast's server ?

YAAAAAAS~! "SHY girl plays PSO~!" One of mew's fave original commercials!! <3!!!

Wish I had some pics from the Ver 1&2 days. Our PSOExplorers web archive has been gone for quite some time now. I always enjoyed going back and reading some of our old funny threads. I think what I miss the most is being able to go the challenge ship and grab a challenge game pretty much anytime. And seriously.. just how many Sephiroth and Trunk's humars were there running around? ;)

So true. The spiky hair was very popular back then. The Sephiroth and Trunks themed HUmar very definitely a thing back then.

It's been a very magical time playing this game on the Dreamcast. Alone how I remember my anticipation before or while logging in to meet a real friend online to play with. That was really something else. Being able to communicate with people all over the world was something NEW. And playing PSO these days is reminding of the fact, that it is still something special to be able to do that. Communicating with people all over the world, with their totally different lives, and environments and situations and sorrows and whatnot. But all comes down to this. Each and everyone loves to play this game. This game gives back to us in a big way.

pso_ver_2_dreamcast_screenshot_by_kireekpso_d1c006g-fullview.jpg

These are pictures of Hugo your main character on PSO Dreamcast ?!
I was taking a few screenshot with the empty VMU on controller plugged into port D....but it was so boring to do...
I saw at the time you were able to record your games on the Dreamcast. So great memories !

Yes, i did record at 50hz (slower gameplay), i guess nowadays i could certainly find something better. I also took some pictures with chankast back in the day, which is an emulator that reads directly from the CD on your pc and it can load VMU saves provided you transfered them, with at the time i used the paralel port to do so.

Back