Oldie To The Series

Crowvo

Guildcard
Hello! I played PSO I & II on the gamecube way back in 2002, but never had the ability to go online. After maxing out my Purplenum HUmar, I got bored for a while...until PSO:BB released. I was on the official servers as a mag farmer until it was abandoned, then went over to Schthack for a brief while (again as a mag farmer, I really loved doing that). Once that started going downhill and college took over, I stopped playing.

But PSO's near and dear to me, so last night while I was chatting with a friend about what I did online as a kid, I looked up PSO and stumbled upon this site. Wanting to see if it was as fun as I remembered, I registered and played through the Forest as a RAcast. Cut to almost 4 AM and I realized I needed to stop if I wanted to be ready for work today!

Suffice to say: it's a ton of fun, and I'm glad that this game is still going strong all these years later. I'm hoping to get my friend into the game. I'm mostly quiet in-game, although if you spot a Greenill RAcast named Mako, feel free to say hi! I might be willing to play in a lobby if I'm not playing with my friend or still figuring out the controls (it's been a long time since I've used PSO's control scheme, and I might try out using a controller).

Hello, your name sounds awfully familiar. Welcome.

Welcome to Ephinea!

Also:
1390109742063.jpg

Hello! I played PSO I & II on the gamecube way back in 2002, but never had the ability to go online. After maxing out my Purplenum HUmar, I got bored for a while...until PSO:BB released. I was on the official servers as a mag farmer until it was abandoned, then went over to Schthack for a brief while (again as a mag farmer, I really loved doing that). Once that started going downhill and college took over, I stopped playing.

But PSO's near and dear to me, so last night while I was chatting with a friend about what I did online as a kid, I looked up PSO and stumbled upon this site. Wanting to see if it was as fun as I remembered, I registered and played through the Forest as a RAcast. Cut to almost 4 AM and I realized I needed to stop if I wanted to be ready for work today!

Suffice to say: it's a ton of fun, and I'm glad that this game is still going strong all these years later. I'm hoping to get my friend into the game. I'm mostly quiet in-game, although if you spot a Greenill RAcast named Mako, feel free to say hi! I might be willing to play in a lobby if I'm not playing with my friend or still figuring out the controls (it's been a long time since I've used PSO's control scheme, and I might try out using a controller).
*Puts the Mako-san on her POUNCE on SIGHT list!* =3. You'll find sanity in the form of wired xbox 360 control pads or newer to be plug and play! Whats nicer is the fact that the button layout is similar to that of the old DC/GC pattern to it would be like 15 years of muscle memory! =D! Everyone has their preferences when it comes to fancy new gen game pads. Hell, theres even adaptors out there that allow the old Gamecube pads to be used on the PC if you're so inclined! Anywho, Hope to pounce and play wiff you soon! Oh...and...WELCOME HOME! =3

Welcome to Ephinea, Crowvo! As a (maybe) former mag farmer, can you confirm or deny Sato is best mag?

can you confirm or deny Sato is best mag?
I guess it would depend on what qualifies as "best" for any given person.

For me, the "best" mag is Tellusis because:
  • It has invincibility triggers for 100 PB, Boss, and 1/10 HP.
  • 55% trigger rate.
  • Can get DEX lower than 45 compared to rare EP 1/2 mags. Important to those for max-statting (my RAmar max-stat plan below for reference).
  • When used in conjunction with Excalibur, light (ELT) and dark (EDK) resistances are boosted by 10.
  • When used in conjunction with Excalibur, animation speed of the Excalibur will be increased by 20%.
upload_2016-7-26_13-55-7.png

The first three points on the bullet list above are the most important for me.

Satos are great as well since:
  • It has invincibility triggers for 100 PB, Boss, and 1/10 HP.
  • 50% trigger rate.
  • Easy to visually tell when you get invincibility since Sato will start pressing Z or R twice constantly (i.e., barrel rolling).
  • Most of the mag itself is colored based on the color of the LV5 Mag that was used to create the Sato.
  • It's a cat.

Welcome to Ephinea, Crowvo! As a (maybe) former mag farmer, can you confirm or deny Sato is best mag?

Sato was the Mag that I struggled to make the most, haha. It was in high demand, but I typically played as either a HUcast or a RAcast, so I had to do a lot of trading around to get it evolved (especially with the PB's the people wanted).

I personally loved Kabanda, Naraka, and Sita. I only ever got a handful of Nidra requests, but I liked that one a lot, too. My own personal bias, though, was for Rati. That was my first mag, and I got him by accident. Sure, his triggers aren't that great compared to invincibility, but I loved having those purple wings behind my tiny HUmar.

Sato is p. cute, though, ngl--and it might even BE best mag, but it's not the best mag to me. Then again, I don't think that I really hate any mags, either: I love 'em all, haha.

I guess it would depend on what qualifies as "best" for any given person.

For me, the absolute best mag bar none is Sato because:
  • It's a cat.
  • It is adorable.
  • When used in conjunction with an outfit the same color as it, you get a +40% bonus to color coordination and +30 to good fashion sense.
  • It fetches tons of compliments.
  • It does a super kawaii spinning animation when it gets excited.
The first three points on the bullet list above are the most important for me.

I mean if we're being completely honest for a second here, Sato really is demonstrably and irrefutably the greatest mag in the game. No, scratch that-- it is the greatest mag of all time. If you're not using a Sato you should know by now that you are only handicapping yourself by using an inferior mag.
98a45db4061854d6375f355f59f56830.png

As you can see in this graph above, party strength can be directly correlated to the amount of Satos in said party. Parties without Satos operate at around <10% of the strength of parties using only Satos. A party who exclusively uses Satos is exponentially stronger than one that doesn't. If you'd like, I could link you to a dissertation I wrote in college about why Sato is the greatest thing ever.

Sato is love, Sato is life.

So yes. Sato is best mag. But that's just my opinion.
Wow NDW, I didn't know you felt so strongly about this. Sato confirmed for best mag after all, then.

I was joking in my first post in this thread, but thank you for talking about Tellusis anyways.
Sato was the Mag that I struggled to make the most, haha. It was in high demand, but I typically played as either a HUcast or a RAcast, so I had to do a lot of trading around to get it evolved (especially with the PB's the people wanted).

I personally loved Kabanda, Naraka, and Sita. I only ever got a handful of Nidra requests, but I liked that one a lot, too. My own personal bias, though, was for Rati. That was my first mag, and I got him by accident. Sure, his triggers aren't that great compared to invincibility, but I loved having those purple wings behind my tiny HUmar.

Sato is p. cute, though, ngl--and it might even BE best mag, but it's not the best mag to me. Then again, I don't think that I really hate any mags, either: I love 'em all, haha.
It's a pain to make to be sure, but I like them too much to really complain too much. As of writing I've made 3 Satos on Ephinea so far. :3

Nidra is supposedly one of the more popular ones. I like Nidra, but not really enough to go through the effort to make one. It's one of the only other PSO1 mags that made it into PSO2 other than Sato, however. I would like Rati more, but the mag color only affects the energy bits coming out of the Rati and not the Rati itself. If you know what I mean. I guess it would be good in all-red maybe. Idk.

It's a pain to make to be sure, but I like them too much to really complain too much. As of writing I've made 3 Satos on Ephinea so far. :3

Nidra is supposedly one of the more popular ones. I like Nidra, but not really enough to go through the effort to make one. It's one of the only other PSO1 mags that made it into PSO2 other than Sato, however. I would like Rati more, but the mag color only affects the energy bits coming out of the Rati and not the Rati itself. If you know what I mean. I guess it would be good in all-red maybe. Idk.

I was fond of the blue, black, or white Rati because of the color contrast, but that's more or less my old-fashioned bias from it being my first mag haha. Of course, I think once I get myself settled properly in the game I might have to make myself a black Sato, always did like that one a lot.

Oh, as an aside: I tried using an Xbox controller and it's seriously very natural to use (almost identical to how it was mapped on the gamecube). I've been having a blast!

Back