Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care I just want Fiasco

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Echelon

PSOBB plastic surgeon
Note that this is not an actual project as I don't know how to make custom quests nor have the time, just food for thought.

Ok, let me explain the idea real quick.
As far as I can remember, I always kinda wanted to play alongside the legendary Rico Tyrell as an NPC and follow her and the people of Pioneer I through their adventure (and eventually demise) in the early events of Phantasy Star Online.

Now something I love about this game is the mystery surrounding the lore and I can understand filling every bit of story with fan fiction/speculation could potentially ruin a lot of things.

So I thought about a solution and imagined a new type of quests:
The Questline would be a VR simulation made by the government based on their data of the events (in fact, our data, understanding of the lore), pretty much like a reconstitution in an investigation, to better understand what could have happened on ragol.

So your interactions with the story, Rico and Pioneer I would NOT be canon. Its just simulation/speculation and something completely different could have happened in reality.

Gameplay wise it would be a serie of quest, each one unlocking the next one like government quests, but they are not necessarily chronologically connected. It could cover different events (like when Vol Opt program got crazy or the underwater lab on Gal Da Val) and the player would cross the path of famous characters, like possibly Dr. Osto or Flowen. I see them as short but heavily cinematic quests.

For an example, the first quest could start when the animals of ragol became suddenly violent. You incarnate a soldier and you are part of Rico's investigation Team, maybe help her set her recordings through the forest while your surrended by boomas.

Thinking about it, same concept could be applied with characters of EP III and the lore we know from this episode, and would be used to extend the PSO universe within PSO Blue Burst.

Anyway, what do guys think about such an idea? Would you like more "cinematic" oriented quests like this? Or im a the only one :D.

Let me know in the comments. :wacko:

Last edited:
Well, nothing we do is canon.
I do like the idea in general though.

I have also pondered this on occasion but learning QEdit...someday

Seat of Heart Epilogue

Quick question: is there actually data in the game that will allow Rico to appear in a custom quest as an ally NPC?

Quick question: is there actually data in the game that will allow Rico to appear in a custom quest as an ally NPC?

Couldn't you theoretically make an NPC, then have it use her model? I know Mr. X in the custom "A New Hope" quest uses the official, FOmar-like GM model and it's possible to use certain NPCs as player models. A New Hope also has NPCs in town using Rico and Flowen's models.

If nothing else, it wouldn't be hard to swap the model over a existing NPC that has instructions to do basic attacks or w/e and instruct it to follow the player and give story (text) prompts.

The short answer is yes. Any NPC (or player character for that matter) can be made into Rico. Existing NPC logic or new will work with it.

Not universal unfortunately. I think Nurse and Momoka were fixed up to work, but Leo is probably no good along with most other generic NPCs and Delta.

I've edited this post several times and I still don't like how it sounds

Last edited:
V2 added the ability to skin NPCs as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Rico, and "ninja", while V3 added Elly and Flowen NPC skins, so yes, you can have an NPC appear in a quest as Rico. NPC skins are separate from client skins, e.g. replacing HUcast models and textures with Momoka files so you can play as Momoka.

Back