My hopes for the Metroid Prime 4 storyline.

Ade

;3
*Spoiler alerts for the older Metroid games*

Hi all,

Note: I'm not a huge fanfic person, so this will just be a general outline.

Chronologically, the Metroid story has gone in the following order:

Metroid for NES / Metroid Zero Mission (same game, but Zero Mission expands on it a bit further)
Metroid Prime 1
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid II: Return of Samus / AM2R / Metroid: Samus Returns (yes, I'm counting AM2R because it's very faithful to the original in terms of story)
Super Metroid
Metroid: Other M
Metroid Fusion

As you can see, all of the Metroid Prime games took place between Metroid 1 and 2. For this reason, I do NOT want to see Metroid Prime 4 stuck into this same slot. At the end of Metroid Prime 3, Samus destroys the last Leviathan Seed, and the threat of Phazon is assumed to be extinct. Furthermore, the last time a Metroid game moved the series forward chronologically was Metroid Fusion, which released in 2002. It's been 15 years since the Metroid Series moved forward.

At the end of Fusion, with AI Adam's help, Samus disobeys a direct order and destroys the Galactic Federation research ship containing the Metroids they intended to research / replicate.

I envision the start of Prime 4 taking place immediately after Fusion. Samus, in her new ship, flees from the Federation Police for disobeying orders. Minor details aside, I hope to see that the Federation has somehow been infiltrated or influenced by the Space Pirates, which would explain their sudden change of heart near the end of Fusion. This could be accomplished by the Space Pirates somehow resurrecting Mother Brain, or perhaps a new threat will emerge. Regardless, I think it would be interesting to see Samus discover throughout the game that her objective is not to flee from the Federation, but to free it from those who have taken it over.

I wouldn't mind seeing Phazon make a return. Perhaps the Pirates somehow saved it or found out how to create it synthetically, but I do NOT want to see Dark Samus. She was already heavily emphasized in Prime 2 and 3, and the SA-X in Metroid Fusion (the Power Suit removed from Samus and infected with the X Parasites) is along that same theme. We've seen enough instances of Samus fighting herself.

So yes, these are just the general lines upon which I would like to see Prime 4 based. I know the chances that the game will follow this are low, but I do hope that Prime 4 is situated BEYOND Metroid Fusion, regardless of the story Nintendo decides to tell. I think there's a good chance for that, at least.

Edit: Another thought: I wouldn't mind seeing Prime 4 take a Breath of the Wild approach in terms of world size / possibility, but I still want there to be clear instances of seeing an obstacle and saying, "Oh, I need to come back here when I find X item." It would be nice to have side objectives and missions, though. (Maybe missile / Power Bomb expansions could be awarded this way?) This would also give Samus Aran, who is a BOUNTY HUNTER, a chance to actually hunt some bounties. (Like, actual fugitives.)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I want to see Samus Aran's brother who was hinted at in the early days of the series myself.

Reactions: Ade
Back