Mag Vs Materials

BaronSaturday

Guildcard
Is there a difference between adding stats to my mag and adding stats to my character?

For instance, if I do

5/147/48/0

73/69/52/28/28

Is that going to have the same result as

5/95/48/52

125/69/0/28/28?

If not, is there any reason?

Breaking down your above post:
POW on Mags are interchangeable with POW Materials.
MIND on MAGS are interchangeable with MIND Materials.
Defense is not worth taking on Mags, which few Force specific exceptions, which has some impact on builds.

One of the main reasons you will see rather ATP focused Mags instead of splitting between Mag and materials is based on the idea that people running characters are likely to pump only important stats first and fix later once near or at max level. A character with a Power Mag with nearly all Power materials leads to much faster clear speeds and early access to strong gear hand me downs. If you happen to be leveling the Mag as you play, it is also more likely you will benefit from more consistent power increases vs reliance on random material drops (without worrying about MST at all potentially). MST is generally not worth as much on most classes as it won't improve kill speed, and it is common to have Mind mags set aside specifically for teaching techs. There are also plenty of scenarios where MST is less important even on Forces as a main mag (Episode 2), so it helps to be able to swap the stats to something more useful as needed instead of hard committing with materials.

Take note that you can also do slightly non standard mag layouts to try to compensate for max recommended ATA restrictions to create certain Mag combos without resorting to cells or special mag items (Going for DEX + MIND = POW + DEF vs DEF + DEX = POW + MIND on something like a RaMar on Nidra).

TLDR: Functionally POW/MIND swaps will be the same on a level 200 character, but you may experience some ATP damage shortcomings on the journey there depending on what material plan you are using.

Breaking down your above post:
POW on Mags are interchangeable with POW Materials.
MIND on MAGS are interchangeable with MIND Materials.
Defense is not worth taking on Mags, which few Force specific exceptions, which has some impact on builds.

One of the main reasons you will see rather ATP focused Mags instead of splitting between Mag and materials is based on the idea that people running characters are likely to pump only important stats first and fix later once near or at max level. A character with a Power Mag with nearly all Power materials leads to much faster clear speeds and early access to strong gear hand me downs. If you happen to be leveling the Mag as you play, it is also more likely you will benefit from more consistent power increases vs reliance on random material drops (without worrying about MST at all potentially). MST is generally not worth as much on most classes as it won't improve kill speed, and it is common to have Mind mags set aside specifically for teaching techs. There are also plenty of scenarios where MST is less important even on Forces as a main mag (Episode 2), so it helps to be able to swap the stats to something more useful as needed instead of hard committing with materials.

Take note that you can also do slightly non standard mag layouts to try to compensate for max recommended ATA restrictions to create certain Mag combos without resorting to cells or special mag items (Going for DEX + MIND = POW + DEF vs DEF + DEX = POW + MIND on something like a RaMar on Nidra).

TLDR: Functionally POW/MIND swaps will be the same on a level 200 character, but you may experience some ATP damage shortcomings on the journey there depending on what material plan you are using.
That's what I thought was the case. I wanted Rati as a mag on my HuMar for the Shifta/Deband and reverser and it looks cool So I put my 52 into my mag instead of on my materials so I could have the 100/100 split for it. Also, love your videos.

Back