Mag Help

MasterMooCow

I'm not very good when it comes to Mags. I have tried to follow some guides online but not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Currently have a Level 25 Varuna Mag with the following stats.

Level 25
Synchro 38%
IQ 69
DEF 8
POW 10
DEX 7
MIND 0

I'm playing a HuMar and want to have something that will be beneficial for POW / DEX (accuracy) at a higher level.

i am currently following this trend when feeding:
1 Monomate
1 Antidote
1 Monomate

My DEF stat is still going up. I see other people say they have Mags with only 5 DEF and a ton of POW, and i don't understand how it's possible. Is it too late for me to have a good mag at this rate? If not, how do I need to course correct?

Thanks,
Moocow

You can definitely still have a good mag.

When you say "only 5 DEF and a ton of POW" are you talking about a mag that would be 5/195/0/0
def/pow/dex/mind

or 12/188/0/0

Both of those mags are hard to come by, and not reasonable for a 1st mag IMO.
There's only one way to get the 195 POW stat, and you have to use a Kit of Mark 3 on the mag at lvl 5. The kit of mark 3 is kinda rare, and I think you were looking for some dex anyway, so I wouldn't bother. The 188 POW is more of pain, you have to deposit it in the bank between each feeding for 191 feeds IIRC.

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/basic-mag-information.1497/

This is a good thread on mag info, it lists all of the ways to get the Mylla and Youlla Photon Blast (PB) (aka twins) which casts shifta/deband. Useful in general, but especially on HUmar's as they can't cast s/d. I'd make getting that PB a priority, just create another character with the right class/ section id to feed it the one level where it evolves and gains the PB.

Some people really don't like Def on a mag because it only raises your DFP by 1 lvl where as mind and POW raise your ATP and MST respectively by 2pts pr mag lvl ... but I wouldn't get too worried about a couple levels of Def honestly. Raising dex is, in my opinion, not as beneficial as raising def, because one level of dex=0.5 lvl's of ATA so it's not a great return pr mag level. If it was me, I'd focus on raising as much POW as you can, and if you want higher ATA at some point, buy a heavenly arms for a slot, that raises your ATA by 25, so in effect it's worth 50 levels of DEX on a mag.

All that said, if you want to lower your DEF, this page will tell you what to feed to do so (there might not be anything that lowers DEF on your particular mag... I wanna say 2nd evolution mags don't have a def lowering feed? Not sure.)
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1021

I'd probably focus on POW/ ATP first because that will let you equip better weapons and raise you damage per second (DPS) faster. IMO a H/power would be more use to you at this point than a H/arms, unless you really want to run charge vulcans (many do). But that's just me, I haven't raised many hunters so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Either way, I don't think you've screwed up your mag. :)

Last edited:
https://sites.google.com/site/psobbephinea/mag-feeding-tables

You're getting DEF since monomates adds 5 DEF in Table 1 (100 points constitutes a level). The way most people do this is: stick to Antidotes for the first evolution if you want a "pure" POW/DEX mag. You'll end up with some DEX, but I think it's overall easier to max ATA when you have some DEX, despite their "inefficiency". Getting between 20~30 DEX is overall pretty fine, and a lot of people even get 45/50 or so to evolve their mag into one of the 4th tier evolutions.

You probably should find a newer guide, I'm suspecting that guide is really out of date, or written for an older version of PSO.

Back