Mag Evolution Bug

Volos

Raised a Kurama to 200, traded it to my Hucast and fed to get a Bana.

When I xfer the mag back to my fonewearl (either through shared bank or through a friend holding it), when she picks it up, it's kurama and not bana. We can both be looking at the same item on the floor, seeing different mags. It transforms depending upon who picks it up, with no further feeding.

This is a bug right!?

Update: Found a temporary way around it by having the mag fed on a character and 'transformed' in forest, in front of my fonewearl. Then when the mag is dropped, it's bana for everyone who sees the drop. However when I log out and then in again - it turns back into kumara (with no feeding)

Edit: sorry, didn't see that bugs are split out from tech support here! My apologies

The only bug is that the server didn't think to change your mag to Bana when the HUcast fed it.

The reason that people saw different items on the ground is (for the millionth time I've explained this) that PSOBB doesn't give a shit what the server thinks an item is. The only way you can check is by putting an item in the bank, leaving it, and then revisiting the bank. Then the client can really see what the server thinks the item is.

The reason people saw a different mag when you put it on the ground is because the server takes care of the drop packet. They saw what the server thought the item was. (Because this is the first time they've seen the item with this item ID.) However, even other clients soon stop giving a crap what the server thinks the item is after seeing it one time and make their own changes to the item in memory through communication between clients.

Long story short: Server never changed your mag from Kumara to Bana in the first place. You were only looking at local client-side only changes the whole time. We'll have to look at the Mag evolution check code to see why the server never thought to change it to Bana.

Thanks Soda. So the bug is that the server didn't update its view of what the mag was - when it evolved?

Is there any way to force the server to 'update' its view of the mag once it reaches 200, for example raising its IQ level or something?

Other than that, I'll just have to keep xfer-feeding it every time I play until this gets patched right? If that's even something worth putting on the list of stuff to do.

Well, obviously, Volos, it's a bug and something that has to be patched. So, we will have to revisit the mag evolution code. Can you tell me the exact stats of your mag as well as your character class? I mean, I could obviously just look at your character data, but it saves me some time. I'll try to reproduce the issue.

The server is supposed to match what the client does, so the server's logic is flawed and will need to be corrected.

Sure no problem ;3

This was happening on the mag:

- Kumara
- Level 200
- Def 15
- Pow 5
- Dex 0
- Mind 180

The character class was Fonewearl, the section ID was pinkal.

The character evolving the mag was Hucast, section ID oran.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

OK, I found the bug. Should be corrected the next time we restart the ships.

The main problem was that the server never checks Mag evolutions once the Mag is already level 200. (Oops.) So, now I've made sure that it still keeps checking conditions when a mag is fed at level 200.

Let me know if this has been fixed, please. I believe you should be fine now.

Fix confirmed, Bana now remains Bana.

Thanks again. Not many people raise 'normal' mags to 200, so it's nice to be somewhere - where even the less important issues get dealt with!

Back