Leavin' Flow (A Goodbye Post)

thegmk

Thegmk#5690
Guildcard
It's time for me to go.

I don't expect this to be something people respond to or even resonate with; I mostly want this as a piece of my history that I can reflect on in the future, should I find my way back to lurking these forums.

I have been here, quietly hunting since Ephinea's public launch 8 years ago. I love PSO so much and have loved it ever since I was 10 years old and found a copy of PSO ver2 for the Dreamcast in the BOGO bin at Toys R Us.

I've mostly played solo, because I struggle to open up to people and feel a bit nervous in groups. Yes, I'll play open games for MAE or TTFs, but I always had a hard time getting close to people online. In fact, in 2020 I made a whole new account, a new login, a new discord as a small, friendly RAcast named Bert, as a way to just present a lighthearted version of myself.

Bert was funny and kind and as gentle as I wanted to be received by others. I joined a guild and played for 2 months straight. I made friends along the way. But Bert wasn't fully me. Bert was a light and airy way to present myself, without my fears or my baggage. It's just a game and I wanted to play it with others, but I really wanted to be in a group where it was real friends and real conversations together. I was just too afraid of being so vulnerable.

In 2020, PSO ate into my real life and was affecting my relationships, specifically the one with my new, 1-year SO at the time. I was addicted to raising HBR and getting the best chances at gear, although it almost never actually paid off. I think the most I've ever auctioned something for was about 300 PDs. Depressive episodes in my real life would cause me to give away really good gear because "it would make someone so happy."

Even though I shelve this game for months at a time, I have always come back every summer for the Anniversary event for a chance at winning big and potentially finding a friend or two along the way, but this is the year I am calling it quits.

It's been a struggle to find work after I was laid off, constantly being sent emails of "we're not going to proceed with your application at this time." I'm scared to death because my SO and I have now been married almost a year and are halfway through our first pregnancy.

PSO is so much fun and I love the gamble, but it's allowing my depression and anxiety to take over and say "one more run, it'll only be 5 minutes... you can spend 5 more minutes in PSO."

But I can't. I am on seriously borrowed time here.

So that's why I have to auction off my gear, which I will be doing sometime soon. I need a reason to not come back. My gear is nothing amazing, since I've done so many account giveaways in the past, but it's something. I'll link any auctions I make here once they go live.

First Bank Auction: Common Weapons

I have loved so much about PSO.
This game is MY game in my heart.
It's how I met my closest friends I made after High School.
It's how I got my handle "The Great Mr. Kid" (Thegmk and TGMK for Smash Bros), a joke of a username given to me by a friend I met through PSO, but has since turned into my identity online.

I've never mastered anything in this game. I'm terrible at Challenge Mode, I can't time attack quests to save my life, and I don't even know which quests are best for farming my gear. But I do know that PSO is something I will hold near and dear to my heart for a very long time.

(I will still be around very scarcely on Classic mode, but I'm not going to be deeply interactive anymore. Hmu for Classic Challenge Mode some time.)

Cheers to you, Ephinea.
I have played PSO on every system, every private server, and Ephinea is home.
Cheers to the staff and developers that have continued to give quality of life to this 23-year-old game.

I have loved my time here.

Last edited:
Hey man, was always fun to play with you, good luck on improving your personal life I'm rooting for you :)

Huge respect for being able to look at something and say "I can't do this without hurting myself". If nothing else, being able to say that and walk away is something to be proud of.

It's easy for me to sit here and say that I enjoy playing the game casually as something to do when nothing else piques my interest, and to admit that I don't like or have any interest in the hustle grind that some of the extreme players here submit to. Not everyone can keep out of that and it's okay to admit it. It is part of why I actively avoid lots of newer MMOs (I'm looking at you Genshin) - I know I would lose so much of myself if I started.

I'm not sure if I've ever actually played with you, but thank you for contributing to making Ephinea a welcoming place to play. Every kind person along the way has helped make this community great and you were part of that.

Best of luck in your journey, and maybe one day you can come back with a fresh mindset and a little partner to show the ropes. I know I plan on trying with mine when the time comes!

I can relate to a lot of stuff you said in this post. For the longest time with PSO, I kinda just shut out the rest of the world because I played so much. I remember playing with you time to time over the years. It's sad to see you go, but very understandable. You'll be missed. I've had to take breaks from the game before to sort things out in my own personal life. The nice thing about PSO for me is you can always come back to it and it's not a game where you're required to put in a massive amount of time. I do wish you the best!

I only recently came back to playing, I've been around for a long time as well, I noticed when I was grinding my hardest and playing a lot that it was also doing that to me, so I had multiple year long breaks and now only come back for the anniversary event basically. I get where you're coming from, and I hope you do well in your journey going forward. If you ever want to come back we're always right back here, luckily PSO has a great community and you know people will always help out if you ever want to come back sometime down the road. God speed friend, best wishes.

First bank auction is up!

It's time for me to go.

I don't expect this to be something people respond to or even resonate with; I mostly want this as a piece of my history that I can reflect on in the future, should I find my way back to lurking these forums.

I have been here, quietly hunting since Ephinea's public launch 8 years ago. I love PSO so much and have loved it ever since I was 10 years old and found a copy of PSO ver2 for the Dreamcast in the BOGO bin at Toys R Us.

I've mostly played solo, because I struggle to open up to people and feel a bit nervous in groups. Yes, I'll play open games for MAE or TTFs, but I always had a hard time getting close to people online. In fact, in 2020 I made a whole new account, a new login, a new discord as a small, friendly RAcast named Bert, as a way to just present a lighthearted version of myself.

Bert was funny and kind and as gentle as I wanted to be received by others. I joined a guild and played for 2 months straight. I made friends along the way. But Bert wasn't fully me. Bert was a light and airy way to present myself, without my fears or my baggage. It's just a game and I wanted to play it with others, but I really wanted to be in a group where it was real friends and real conversations together. I was just too afraid of being so vulnerable.

In 2020, PSO ate into my real life and was affecting my relationships, specifically the one with my new, 1-year SO at the time. I was addicted to raising HBR and getting the best chances at gear, although it almost never actually paid off. I think the most I've ever auctioned something for was about 300 PDs. Depressive episodes in my real life would cause me to give away really good gear because "it would make someone so happy."

Even though I shelve this game for months at a time, I have always come back every summer for the Anniversary event for a chance at winning big and potentially finding a friend or two along the way, but this is the year I am calling it quits.

It's been a struggle to find work after I was laid off, constantly being sent emails of "we're not going to proceed with your application at this time." I'm scared to death because my SO and I have now been married almost a year and are halfway through our first pregnancy.

PSO is so much fun and I love the gamble, but it's allowing my depression and anxiety to take over and say "one more run, it'll only be 5 minutes... you can spend 5 more minutes in PSO."

But I can't. I am on seriously borrowed time here.

So that's why I have to auction off my gear, which I will be doing sometime soon. I need a reason to not come back. My gear is nothing amazing, since I've done so many account giveaways in the past, but it's something. I'll link any auctions I make here once they go live.

First Bank Auction: Common Weapons

I have loved so much about PSO.
This game is MY game in my heart.
It's how I met my closest friends I made after High School.
It's how I got my handle "The Great Mr. Kid" (Thegmk and TGMK for Smash Bros), a joke of a username given to me by a friend I met through PSO, but has since turned into my identity online.

I've never mastered anything in this game. I'm terrible at Challenge Mode, I can't time attack quests to save my life, and I don't even know which quests are best for farming my gear. But I do know that PSO is something I will hold near and dear to my heart for a very long time

Cheers to you, Ephinea.
I have played PSO on every system, every private server, and Ephinea is home.
Cheers to the staff and developers that have continued to give quality of life to this 23-year-old game.

I have loved my time here.
IRL is the BANE of even the Most Devout and Staunchest of PSO Warriors, luv. So, normally mew would say something encouraging like "No One Truly QUITS PSO"...But, apparently you're determined to not 'Want' to come back =(. Just know that after a Busy day at work (Yes, you'll find a job lucky to has you~!) AND after your baby is born (*Squee~!*) you can Always count on your little PSO Family to be here waiting wiff supportive open arms and open ears to help lighten your day! Mew can't tell you HOW Many NEW DADS/MOMS she's played with just to hear mid-run "Hold on, the baby woke up!". And we'd surprise them being found idlinging for 30 odd minutes, waiting for their return~! You're selling yourself Short, thinking you somehow 'Don't matter' or 'were never remarkable' as a player here, dear! Mew for one is gonna miss seeing your iconic forums Avatar! ♡.
What your mew is Trying to say is, Even when you auction or gift away ALL your Swag...We will ALWAYS be here waiting for Bert-kun or this 'other' less airy and quirky purrsona you hide from us! Just Know that you DO Matter, and despite feeling you've not attained some ZEN form of your current character self...PSO will Always make you smile, even when you're far away from it...(US~!)! *Hugs with wet eyes humming Enya's "Hope has a Place".*

It was great playing with you a little here and there and buying stuff from you! Real life is most important! Enjoy your SO and family and make them happy! That is most important. Enjoy the time with your baby, it goes to fast and if you blink you miss many of the cutest things ever!

We're not super close, but in an indirect way, we kind of all grew up playing this game together. It's similar to how I see the world. Maybe we don't all know each other personally, but we share the planet and the universe with each other, and we share countless experiences together, as a result of our common existence.

It's for that reason I love my fellow humans, and I love my fellow PSOers. Sometimes people are jerks and it's easy to feel animosity towards others, but at the end of it all, we share our existence together. I'm glad I got to share that with you brotha, no matter how small.

Good luck with things. I know exactly how times like these can be. Much love to you and your family. Proud of you dude.

We're not super close, but in an indirect way, we kind of all grew up playing this game together. It's similar to how I see the world. Maybe we don't all know each other personally, but we share the planet and the universe with each other, and we share countless experiences together, as a result of our common existence.

It's for that reason I love my fellow humans, and I love my fellow PSOers. Sometimes people are jerks and it's easy to feel animosity towards others, but at the end of it all, we share our existence together. I'm glad I got to share that with you brotha, no matter how small.

Good luck with things. I know exactly how times like these can be. Much love to you and your family. Proud of you dude.
Kevdo-Taichooooou~! Wonderful to see you still lurking in the shadows, luv! =3

Back