Just wanted to apologize...

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
I made my first post on Reddit explaining this, so I wanted to explain it here too...

You know how since the server has came up, I had been restarting it off and on for updates and such. I wanted to apologize about that.

The thing is, Tofuman got me into developing the code again and I've been out on medical leave from work since the 5th due to a surgery. So, I kind of wanted to rapidly work on the software until I had to go back to work. (Will be going back to work next Monday.)

Since I had live guinea pigs, I wanted to take advantage of you guys for testing things and what not to fix the server software. I'm mostly done with the rapid development of the software will be developing little things on a separate dev ship (you'll see it as "Algol (DEV)" from time to time in the ship list) and then patching the main ship once a week from then, so you guys can enjoy the game without worrying of a shutdown and what not.

We will have scheduled maintenance from now and then, I think I'll probably target early Sunday morning (maybe around 12:30am UTC-7) from now and then to do real maintenance on the server within the span of an hour. (Hopefully it will be faster than that, but during that time, I will patch the software, do Operating System updates, and the like.)

Oh and as far as disconnects go, the VPS we used from OVH (moved off of them today) tended to migrate the Ephinea server onto other ESXi hosts from time to time, which caused random disconnects with people too. I have since given OVH the finger and moved to a different provider. So, yeah... Please enjoy the game.

I know some people are saying it's a bad idea to host a PSO server when there's two other big PSO servers out there and it's splitting the community too much, but here's the thing... The experiences between the three servers are different and I'm not in any competition with anyone anyway. Sometimes I like to play PSO from time to time, so I have the server running for those also who want to play with or without me too.

So, yeah! As long as there is interest in PSO, the server will be up for those to use. Unless I die and the bill for the server doesn't end up being paid.
:p

ENJOY AND THANK YOU!!

P.S. Even after I go to work, I'll still be actively developing, GMing and so on, so don't worry, not going to disappear. Haha.

I am super thankful for a server of this quality and standard rates with no destroyed PD economy.

You can have as much downtime as you need, Soda. I will happily wait to play.

Thanks again!

I am not sure you could call the other servers big. One has rather silly server exclusive item changes and the other is dead with an MIA server admin.

Thanks for hosting the server.

Thanks! But I'm done taking the server down for a while, unless it crashes on its own. Haha. Like I said, I'll be doing development work mostly on a different ship you'll see appear from time to time. ;) Thanks for your support!

It's always better to have ships that go up and down a lot due to bug fixes and new features than it is to have ships that go up and down a lot because the host sucks and the admin isn't paying attention (in which case there's a whole lot more down than up...). ;)

Yeah, I guess I have been missing out on those unfortunate DC's and what not, so what are these two big servers exactly? I know that we all should know since we are here, but humor the rest of us, unless I'm the only dude here.

Eden and Ultima, I'm guessing. Scht's down indefinitely. I think the "MIA admin" one was referring to Scht, though...

Both servers used to be empty all the time when SCHT had 300+ players. After BB registration stopped working, the population on SCHT dwindled to 30, and other servers' populations started rising.

It is also very difficult to find episode IV items and used to be difficult to find Red Ring and Parasitic Gene Flow on that server, so it became pay-to-play by paying Crono donation money for items. That and a bunch of other reasons were why the population dwindled on Schthack. I believe it had its highest numbers after the force buffs and combo unlocks around 2008. That is when I joined and it had roughly 500+ people every day.

Did anyone notice the PHP errors that have been on the front page for years?

Hyped about the server Sodaboy and Tofuman. Glad to be a part of the beginning of a great server. Keep up the good work, we really appreciate it. ;)

I think those errors have been there since the last time the site got hacked. That was also when the "remember me" login option for the forum disappeared.

Sodaboy, no need to apologize as far as I'm concerned. You do a great job keeping this server up and fixing bugs. We couldn't ask for anything more. Keep up the good work. Many of us have left Scht because Crono is gone and refuses to give any one else server access.

Long live Ephinea! Thank you so much for all the hard work you do -- Sodaboy and the rest of the admins and mods!!

Sodaboy, I want to sincerely thank you for hosting this server.

I thought I had given up on playing PSOBB with others. I wasn't satisfied with any of the servers currently until Ephinea came along.

Not only is it a privilege to play on this server, it's an honor to be accepted to the Ephinea staff as a GM and Forum Moderator to help out the community.

I've seen what happens when a game is poorly managed from staff. I want people to be able to give this server a chance to play on and enjoy the wonderful game that is Phantasy Star Online. Whether they have played it before or not. I want the population to flourish with players and make this one the best, if not, one of the best servers to play on.

I'm with NDW, thanks Sodaman.

Glad to be on the team, and I'll work with you until the bitter end!

Back