I've fixed my overheating problems!

FriendPie

I purchased a laptop this year so I can do some things for work around the house and for some light gaming (mostly FFXI and PSO) on the go. I played FFXI and after tweaking the settings and using dgvoodoo2, I got it to look and perform the way I would like with minimal heating problems.

PSO was a different beast. I would play this game on low settings at 1280x800 resolution and my laptop felt like it was as hot as the sun. The laptop fans were kicking in at full throttle to cool it down. I got dgvoodoo2 setup for PSO and although it was recognizing my Nvidia GPU, my laptop was still burning up.

Today I went through the "Power Options" settings (Windows 10), and created a new profile "PSO" and under advanced power options I adjusted the Maximum Processor State setting to 50% for both battery and plugged in (You can try whatever you like). Voila, I've been playing for about an hour with warmth I would expect with no performance losses that I could see. All settings (except clipping distance) are maxed, and I adjusted the resolution so it looks more crisp. I even enabled antialiasing and filtering in the wrapper and it runs like a champ.

I thought I'd pass this on so anyone else on a laptop (or even desktop) that's getting really high temperatures can try it out!

I hope this helps!

Ah. Good tip! PSO is notorious with using 100% CPU on at least one core, no matter what generation your CPU is. I could see how that can cause issues in a laptop. Good idea to limit how much PSO can use with a power profile!

Back