Is there a way to get this running in a linux environment?

Chaz

Guildcard
Hey Guys,

Is there any plans to get this running (psobb / ephinea) on a linux distro? Just curious because of how big steamOS with proton is right now.

How viable is it to get a windows.exe installed and running properly in something like ubuntu? I'm guessing it already works in WINE / something similar...

any ideas?

Me (on gentoo) and a friend (on mint) both set it up quite recently. Seems to work great for my friend, and for me too though I'm quite new to the game so it's not like I've been able to check every area works fine. Only issue I've had is a little bit of audio crackle if you're using Pipewire, but that's hardly PSO exclusive (FFXI through wine also does this) and can either be avoided by not using Pipewire or mostly mitigated by messing with your settings a bit.

There's the guide on the forum and there's the lutris install script, the lutris script didn't really work for me so I set it up manually instead, but it worked for my friend (though he had to switch to Flatpak lutris because there's some issue with Mint's current lutris or something).

Also on Gentoo here. Ephinea has been running on Linux for years. I tested installing it in a new Wine prefix(Wine 7.0.1) just now and ran into zero issues. Loaded into lobby and then Episoda 2 Seaside with no lag or sound issues(on Pulseaudio). Both mods and graphics fixes(dgVoodoo) will work on Linux with just a simple menu setting.

I'll also add I have Ephinea running on my steam deck with no issues(other than getting resolution right). Installed it through desktop mode and then added it to steam library.

These days most games that don't have issues with anti-cheat or DRM will run on Linux, most of them without any tinkering. Lutris certainly helps but I only ever used it to run League. Like above poster I had issues with lutris and wasn't worth my time.

Lutris is mainly handy for managing things like wine versions (gentoo does this too, but most distros don't iirc), DXVK versions, etc etc. Can speed up troubleshooting a lot. Sometimes it does get in the way, however. Like recently they added native dgvoodoo to it, which broke the dgvoodoo I had setup for FFXI until I figured out what had happened. And on gentoo I had to manually symlink my DXVK version for FFXI + dgvoodoo, whereas on arch and debian the inbuilt DXVK versions worked fine.

And yeah, I'm starting to think pulseaudio is somehow still the best option if you play a lot of older games on wine. It must integrate better or something. Both pipewire and raw ALSA have given me crackling audio with FFXI and PSO, though I'm currently on ALSA and specifically wine-proton-7.0-5 which has no crackle at all.

A Ubuntu build on my end for Linux, and I can confirm it's pretty fluid on my end for playing Blue Burst :3
I too play through Lutris as well *

A Ubuntu build on my end for Linux, and I can confirm it's pretty fluid on my end for playing Blue Burst :3
I too play through Lutris as well *
thats awesome; I am running ubuntu as well, how did you even go about getting this installed?

0. (If you can already get Flatpaks, you don't need to do this step) Give yourself access to Flatpaks and the Flathub repository: https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu
1. Grab Lutris from Flathub: https://flathub.org/apps/details/net.lutris.Lutris
2. Open Lutris, click the + at the top left, search for community installers and search for Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
3. Choose the "EphineaPSO plus lua addon" option, install it.

You're done, you can just launch the game through Lutris and it will just work.

Unfortunately Ubuntu is being a pain and dropping support for Flatpaks, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to install Lutris through the software centre - on Debian I just added Flathub to my software centre and can install through there.

You can also install independently of Lutris but since you're asking, I am going to assume that may be a bit over your head trying to mess with Wine by itself.

Back