Is the classic fullscreen 4:3 with advanced effects on hang problem fixed by Soly?

Killy

Sorry if I did not understood correctly but did Soly fixed this problem where my game will run widescreen perfectly with advanced effects on but will hang with advanced effects on when used in 4:3 classic fullscreen mode?

Saw about it in this topic: http://www.pioneer2.net/community/i...sobb-widescreen-launcher.69/page-4#post-17426 and I would love it if he can share with me this dll thing to fix it if possible!

I really want to play it in 4:3 while keeping this reflections like the old dead PSO official site says:

Advanced Effects
Enable advanced effects, such as reflections

http://archives.dcemulation.org/www.psobb.com/www.psobb.com/guide/pregame/option.html

Till now I just saw some effects while walking in the water but there could be more!

index.php

I don't think there's supposed to be reflections in that water. Go to Seabed to test and walk in the water there and see if you see a reflection. I'm pretty sure it works fine.

Note that Classic Fullscreen makes the game unable to alt-tab, while turning off classic fullscreen makes the game have the ability to alt-tab while still in fullscreen.

Aren't you one of the BallisticNG fans? We sure love old games huh

Well all I want is play it with the original 4:3 thing and I'm not really bothered by the alt-tab problem.

The only effect I could see was this little water puddles since I'm not that used to the game but since you asked WOW now I see even more differences :)

Classic fullscreen on with advanced effects off

index.php

Classic fullscreen off with advanced effects on

index.php

The issue is Full Screen with Advanced Effects will hang at ship selection.

At some point, the idea of "virtual fullscreen" came to my mind, what I did was just make the window windowed without border and maximize it, at least this is what I told Sodaboy, I think he didn't change it besides the way it was integrated in Ephinea's launcher.

This of course wont play well in a ratio that is not the ratio of your monitor because as in the picture, it will stretch.
I (although I don't develop for Ephinea, explicitly) or Sodaboy could look into it a bit more to, maybe, do only "vertical maximizing" when the window would stretch as in your case, but I wouldn't expect black bars to the sides.

Why not play in widescreen resolutions?

This of course wont play well in a ratio that is not the ratio of your monitor because as in the picture, it will stretch.

Even if I mess around with the NVIDIA control painel and choose no scalling and use the GPU to perform the scale like I did to let the Ephinea launcher be able to run the game in 4:3?

I (although I don't develop for Ephinea, explicitly) or Sodaboy could look into it a bit more to, maybe, do only "vertical maximizing" when the window would stretch as in your case, but I wouldn't expect black bars to the sides.

so it would be fullscreen but I could still see the desktop behind it? would it not be possible to have black bars?

Well it sounds I'm asking too much for a newbie that it's not contributing for nothing :( But could you teach me how to make this virtual fullscreen thing here? This will not ban me or anything like trying to inject crazy sh** in the game is it?

Why not play in widescreen resolutions?

Don't know why I'm so different from other ppl but 4:3 looks way better to me as the characters don't look fat :) Also I love to play games the way they used to be!

16:9 doesn't stretch any characters as the widescreen resolutions are hacked to work properly.

Even if I mess around with the NVIDIA control painel and choose no scalling and use the GPU to perform the scale like I did to let the Ephinea launcher be able to run the game in 4:3?
The issue with this is that our virtual fullscreen is a fake virtual fullscreen, it's windowed maximized without borders.

so it would be fullscreen but I could still see the desktop behind it? would it not be possible to have black bars?
Well it sounds I'm asking too much for a newbie that it's not contributing for nothing :( But could you teach me how to make this virtual fullscreen thing here? This will not ban me or anything like trying to inject crazy sh** in the game is it?

It wouldn't be fullscreen, as with the other answer, it would be windowed but not maximized horizontally to avoid stretching.
You would be able to see the desktop and it wouldn't be fun.

Actually I think I can play with this and might get it to work... I'll try some time.
Also, you cannot do this, this is embedded in the DLL (ephinea.dll for Ephinea).

Don't know why I'm so different from other ppl but 4:3 looks way better to me as the characters don't look fat :) Also I love to play games the way they used to be!
I don't know about this, the game is not anymore what it used to be, it's something slightly different now.
Changes to the original files or trying an accurate recreation of them as in EP4 drops, custom stuff (any sort of custom stuff, from a new weapons to this virtual fullscreen, to the amazing in-game voice chat).

Do you think Sega would have kept the game locked in 4:3 if it was still alive today (if Sega ran it today)?
But in the end is your decision, we try to make it the best for everyone but sometimes is hard.

I don't think the resolution even affects that in any way (3D models), besides having a bigger "window to the virtual world".
The only thing needed to change is all 2D HUD stuff??

16:9 doesn't stretch any characters as the widescreen resolutions are hacked to work properly.

They seem just a little stretched to me

Do you think Sega would have kept the game locked in 4:3 if it was still alive today (if Sega ran it today)?
But in the end is your decision, we try to make it the best for everyone but sometimes is hard.

But this is a good argument so I will just be grateful and play it with advanced effects on in 1920X1080 resolution :)

I guess you can give it a try, I mean, it won't be the end of the world (might be the beginning of a new world tho :p).
Personally, I can NO longer play in 4:3 or even without High Resolution HUD... lmao, but that's just me.

Yeah it's OK I just have this thing that I need to explore everything before start playing :) Even took a look at the old PSO site and I'm looking at the manual now :)

Just to correct myself, there are a few values (aspect ratio) that affect models and pretty much all the 3D stuff.

Sorry don't know if I understood correctly but what I said is true and the characters do get a little stretched?

Anyway I can always press picture size in my TV and make it 4:3.

But I will really stick with 1920X1080 because of you Soly! Thanks for your patience man :)

Now I should get some sleep and after that really start having fun playing here!!!

Not exactly, they don't since the value is adjusted but even then the entire world would get "fat" (or thin) .. if the value is not changed correctly.
Doesn't affect character models specifically.

Back