Internet overhead and PSO

MKFelidae

I am the Cat.
Guildcard
For those who don't have home internet, or like me have connection problems using ephinea on Comcast, using a smartphone/tablet hotspot works well. That's how I have to connect where I am staying now. Data use seems to be about 25MB / hour so I'm not in danger of using up my high speed data any time soon.

For those of you on T-mobile and only get 512kbps tethering that seems to be enough for ephinea, (remember PSO was originally designed to operator over a 56k modem connection)

I have used a hotspot as slow as 128kilobit successfully on ephinea. Thats roughly 12-16kilobytes per second depending on connection quality and other factors.

It should be noted that a lot of hotspots will "deprioritize" you if you're not using enough data.

ie: "Oh you're using less than a dial up connection? I guess that means you're essentially not using it." -> your ping shoots up to 500+ms for no reason, and you eventually disconnect from PSO.

I have to run Skype (logged in, idle) and a ping script ("ping www.google.com -t") to use enough bandwidth to prevent this from happening, because PSO uses almost none. (I haven't tested to see if my new internet does this - but my old hotspot definitely 100% did, so I'm not taking any chances because ISPs fucking suck).

There was also another person who 100% could not log into Ephinea at all, and I gave them this solution and it fixed it for them.

Last edited:
Back