I'm thinking of a new mode... PSO "Seasons"?

I didn't even think of an achievement system, so I'm glad it was brought up. It seems more fair and less of a thing that would force people to have to play the season mode 24/7 while it's up. You could get around to getting your achievements when you could. At the end of the season, your points you earned from your achievements would determine the type of reward you could get.

Still, this requires time put into Seasons mode, but at least you wouldn't have to be constantly in it in order to get the most kills compared to everybody else on the server or other stuff like that.

EDIT: Thanks, zanneck, for your input. Yes, we need input from everyone and not just the popular crowd that does the same stuff.

i think the worst hangups for something like this would be mags, they take so much time, effort, n sanity
maybe supply everyone with the master system cell (whatever cell you can use on lvl 5 mag) and a rappy beak so they dont have to blow huge amounts of time doing mag from scratch?
mag would still have monetary cost but much less time sink/waste, and master system wouldnt have pb's so there's a tradeoff

idk a good way to deal with mags but raising them make me wanna punt babies, esp if they will eventually be deleted :p

So....how will this work? You start a new season with a new character with a predetermined level and you have an end goal that you have to reach as fast as possible? If so, I think it sounds like a great idea. An interesting thing would be to have leaderboards for solo mode and multi mode. Another suggestion from me is that you make each character class have an individual level each time a new season starts so that the game is less biased towards playing the regular set of TA characters for the goal. Now of course, a HUcast will probably always have a better time than a RAcaseal for example unless the skill gap between the players is really weird. If there was a way to make this almost/somewhat balanced to where every character class has a fair shot at being played for these, I'm 200% for this. But that's just my two cents and no one cares what Roo thinks. ;)

But that's just my two cents and no one cares what Roo thinks. ;)
while that is true
you're pretty so we'll keep you around

is this ladder gonna be standard hc as it is now?
maybe scapes/p.claw should have no effect for the true spirit of hc

So....how will this work? You start a new season with a new character with a predetermined level and you have an end goal that you have to reach as fast as possible?
No, I don't want there to feel like a "rush" to do something or to only be able to succeed if you're playing a particular class. That's why we discussed the achievement thing some posts back.

So the basics would be:
- needs an extra account
- needs shared bank deactivated

This sounds great without the leaderboards ^_^

Despite being "optional", events usually forces players to play them, due to having rewards that are either very time consuming to get otherwise or entirely event exclusive; if the reward happens to be something the player covets, that player will play the event even if it was not enjoyable for him/her, because it saves a lot of time; even if it was not a reward to that player's liking, he/she will play it since the reward could be traded for something he/she really wants.

In other words, when an event is active, usually the opportunity cost is too high to do anything else.

Cmode in particular never gets anything from events so they have a huge opportunity cost.

Personally I feel this way and don't like being "bombarded" by events, especially since there are already many permanents events going on (milestone, HBR), so I keep postponing things that I plan to do.

I'm against the idea at first but it actually seems like it could be fun, if the event content is done right and the rewards are balanced enough compared to other current events and normal play; it can be slightly better than normal rates to promote event participation but too much would "force" participation.

I think it may help but not solve interest in HC, since there are many factors why people aren't too interested in HC; the fear of losing lots of efforts (especially since PSO is so time consuming), the lack of time to progress in both normal mode and HC mode, etc.

That's all I have for now.

Now that I've read a bit more of the thread....I really like the idea of an achievement system. I'm not the best at coming up with ideas so I will probably let the rest of the community do most of the brainstorming. I do like the idea of doing this every other month so that the seasons aren't a rushed thing that ends up being less challenging due to less time/thought put into the achievements we will be striving for and so on. I hope you can incorporate all modes of play into the achievements such as battle mode/challenge mode/multiplayer mode/ and solo mode. Best of luck in developing this and I'll be around to make another email to make another account for this server.....already have 4 so keep it coming

Now that I know it's also not a TA thing, I'm a bit relieved and you've sparked my interest even more. TA is great and all, but it's not for everyone and I don't think the community should be forced to play it to earn rewards because there are the elite TA players out there who have been doing TA for quite some time. It's hard for people who are new to PSO(not many on this server are) and for people who just play the game casually to adjust to going fast and trying not to DMC things etc. Now I know there was enough drama with the Christmas TA thing but I'm not here to start anymore drama. I just thought I would say TA based rewards on a low pop server isn't the brightest idea. I'm just really glad that this isn't another TA thing(I love TA and I don't mind doing it....I just thought I would speak for the part of the community that feels this way)

I don`t think leader boards to determine prizes is a good idea.
That just means people who play in parties have an advantage over others since they will level faster.
By all means its good to have leader boards to see who got the farthest in the season but make the prizes be awarded for say, hitting lvl 100 or something instead.

Since some people are talking about leaderboards still, I edited the OP for those who didn't read the topic completely before replying.

I hate starting from scratch so this idea doesn't appeal to me much. Maybe if the rewards were really good I would consider playing a mode like this. I think achievements are a good idea.

Also an idea that I had that might not be exclusive to this mode: when you die your character gets moved to standard mode. It could be a little OP though since HC has higher drop rates but I'm just throwing this idea out there.

Also an idea that I had that might not be exclusive to this mode: when you die your character gets moved to standard mode. It could be a little OP though since HC has higher drop rates but I'm just throwing this idea out there.

While this sounds funny, I would not do that because people might die on purpose at a certain point.

EDIT: Also the way it is implemented would make it a little hard to realize. If you die, will you make the whole account switch to normal or just that character spot? Would that be possible (without putting too much time into it ;)).

Will this affect new players who play the normal mode? I've been playing in moderation and don't really want to jump to hardcore mode until I got the game mechanics down.

[Long post explaining why I want seasons, assuming it's similar to PoE]

Yes. That would be very cool :O

THE FEAR THAT HAUNTS US ALL

The beginning OF THE END (of the end)

THE SEASON IS WAY TOO COLD

Will we last ANOTHER YEAR (another year)

(i think it would be a cool idea bruv)

I had the following idea, it would fit quite nice for seasonal mode:

"Arcade Mode" Quests (and free-adventure too maybe):

- At start of game:
- saving is disabled,
- bank is emptied (temporarily of course)
- character and equipment is reset to certain stats (EXP, MAG, weapons, etc.)
- optional, maybe some quests:
- disable shops or disable pipes

Think of challenge-mode, but without challenge mode.

The preset stats would be fine-tuned for "good" (read HARD! probably so hard, that it can only be done in team with FO etc.) gameplay.

I definitily would enjoy that, and i had positive responses in Lobby - so probably others would too.

These quests / free-adventures would then be (some of) the Milestones to reach.

Pro:
- no grinding involved (we do that on regular mode already, right?)
- teamplay encuouraged (too hard to solo, can't grind to get better - you will ALWAYS be reset to same stats)
- time-attack would be comparable (well - there should still be some luck maybe with Drops etc. again - think cmode)
- great gameplay (needs some work of course, finding the "right" stats)

Regards
Kuromori Yu

Back