I think it's model swapping...

VIELLOSTJUDE

Guildcard
Hi everyone. New here. I'm an older guy, not super computer literate. Now that I have a little more time on my hands, decided to give this one another go. Loved this game on the Dreamcast.

One thing I always wanted to do, was to play as one of the main transporter guard dudes from episode 1. Just outside of the hunters guild. I'll add a picture at the bottom.

i don't want to cheat the game or anything. Just a cosmetic change. Can I swap out the Ramar guy for the soldier guy? Do you guys know how? I found a couple of tutorials, but never for this specifically. Any help would be wonderful and make a bored old man very happy. Thank you guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_153642133~2.jpg
    IMG_20220320_153642133~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
If you're talking about appearing to everyone as the transport soldier, then that is impossible since playing as NPC characters is currently restricted to Staff members only.

If you're talking about only appearing to yourself as the transport soldier, then you're gunna have to fiddle with the files, which I wouldn't recommend.

Had to look up what you meant to understand the response. Lol
It's ok if I only look that way to myself. I don't want to mess with anybody else's game experience.

Did some digging in the forums. Apparently it's something I can do, but I need to download a tool for it. Which is really cool, but... I couldn't really make heads or tails of what I was reading.

Would one of you guys be willing to give me a hand?

It is possible to do, but it may cause you to crash at times or have graphic problems, it's also a non trivial task which would take a while to do

Pretty sure you would need more than a tool to play this NPC. Eggman topic from Schthack is long gone so I got nothing to go on beyond that.

People thought the Nurse wouldn't be possible either if you're looking for hope™ though.

I'm glad there's hope for something like this. Seems like it's a bit of work, and maybe time to roll up my sleeves a little bit. Did a lot more reading on the topic.

So far I the tool I need (if I understood correctly is AFS explorer. With that, I have to find "plZsmpnj.afs" in my data folder. I've found that so far. Got everything I need out of that one like it said in the tutorial. There's also diagrams for many other NPCs. which is handy, but has no mention of the transporter soldier at all.

Was kinda hoping for a one-two switcheroo between that guy, and the Ramar. Playing as the Soldier in my own game, while seeing Ramar's guarding the transporter. In hindsight, I can see how that would get a little complicated considering some of the story NPCs share models with the the player characters.
Still... Holding out hope for a way to do this. I appreciate the replies so far.

With that said, I'm going to try experimenting with the offline GameCube version first. Just to see if I can make it work. One thing I would need, and hopefully somebody here knows... Which of the extracted "unamedXYZ" files from the plZsmpnj.afs file is the blue transport soldier?

I wanted to do this a long time ago, and I remember learning how to do it after contacting some people on discord who helped me with some of the steps. You'll need a few tools, some to swap models, some to swap textures, and some to edit said textures. I can't remember the exact specifics, but I just remember it being a little janky with some textures like the section IDs. I wish I had a better answer for you, but it definitely is more complicated than it seems.

It's also definitely possible though, but the problem (if I remember correctly) is that the model swap between this particular NPC and the RAmar isn't exactly clean. This mod does already exist as a model swap with RAcast though. So if you're looking for the easiest route possible, then that mod would be it since all the work for it is already done.

I should have some time this weekend and can go digging for the information I have on this model swap. I know I have that info somewhere. It's just been so long since I've modded PSO, it's hard to remember most of what I learned lol.

Pretty sure you would need more than a tool to play this NPC. Eggman topic from Schthack is long gone so I got nothing to go on beyond that.

People thought the Nurse wouldn't be possible either if you're looking for hope™ though.
Nya~! =3

Back