How much data does this use?

Eggbert

Guildcard
I'm thinking about connecting my laptop to my phone's hotspot to play this where I can't get wifi.
This connection would be a little slower than normal, plus a have a limited data plan for my phone.

So I'm curious if...
(1) PSO will run fine.
(2) How much data it'll actually use up. (I would take an uneducated guess that it doesn't use that much data.)

Maybe someone has tried this before?

The only thing to be cautious of is patches. Some can be pretty large if they include new music although this doesn't happen often.

You can check it's bandwidth by using performance monitor and checking psobb.exe under the network tab.

I'd imagine something like an average of 50kbps. Maybe up to 100kbps.

3/4g connections can suffer from high latency even if they are fast so you may suffer from disconnects. So just ensure you have full signal

In my experience hot spotting sort of works. I had some latency and disconnected from a few games. The game seems to kick you out if you have too much latency, rather than let you just "lag" like in other games. Probably by design.

It happened frequently enough that I wasn't really able to group with others or do long quests. In a pinch (my router was acting up) it works alright, but it wasn't super reliable. And I live in the city and have solid 4G signal.

it's to do with the packet protection. The key rotates on every packet sent and received so a dropped packet has the key get out of sync. resulting in a DC.

Also I was surprised to see pso appears to peak at about 10kbps but while in a solo game its more like 1kbps. So your only worry would be latency that 3g/4g connections have.

I used hotspot to play PSO for 2 years here. No problems with data usage as long as you make sure any background programs are disabled that may use extra on your comp. I'm almost always on LTE though. If it dipped down to 3g/4g like Tofuman said your latency is gonna go up, in my case 200-300ms on 3g/4g. 100ms~ on LTE.

I have some Good Data for you, I have had this program on this hard drive since 2014, I have had this game installed since around August or September of 2016 and this is all the Data that i have used in that time until now. I have about 1500 hours on the game, so i play a lot and its barely even touched a GIG on the REC and only 4.MB on the SEND. I have lag issues every now and then if i happen to be in the woods or something, other than that, its fine! Oh and i have been using Mobile Hot spot for all this time too!

upload_2018-6-8_11-32-3.png

Oh and like tofu said, I have deleted and redone my Ogg music folder quite a few times, so that's probably where a majority of the usage comes from and not from actually playing the game.

Back