HC UIM (Red Box Challenge) - Meet Maple

redria7

CakeWatch
*edit*

With the new rules on changing section IDs, the plan for this challenge is pretty much scrapped. Part of the goal was hunting different things on different IDs while trying to avoid the level cap, which just doesn’t work without being able to swap IDs freely.

I will freely admit that this is a bit of a relief to me too. I loved the core of the challenge, but even just playing to level 40 made me realize that I’m either not that good, or way too reckless. I went through 4 or 5 scape dolls just getting to level 42, which is unsustainable. The hardcore aspect of the challenge is fascinating, but the pressure it puts on the player to not mess up just isn’t what I want to deal with.

If the rules change I’ll give this a try again. Maple is still there waiting. But for now she will have to take a seat on the bench.

*edit*

A while back I posted a thread about some challenge ideas I had revolving around normal difficulty, but one challenge stood out as different - the red box challenge.

I'm still working on yellow box - I have a character to Ruins but I need to re-experience normal difficulty Falz and ruins before committing to the run. While I have that set aside, I've finally started up my red box challenge character again.

Objective: Solo clear as many different quests on Ultimate difficulty as possible before reaching level 200
  • Ultimate - No banking. If you are familiar with Runescape's Ultimare Ironman concept, the idea is similar. You can only keep what will fit in your inventory.
  • Ironman - No trading or assistance from any other player characters, including your own. That means no meseta, items, experience grinding, or stage carrying from anyone. Single player only!
  • Hardcore - If you die and get sent back to Pioneer 2, you quit and remake your character (play on a hardcore account for easy resets). If you are lucky enough to find and have access to a scape doll, then your run can continue, following the standard hardcore account rules of Ephinea.
  • No quitting or returning to lobby from the field - Only quit the game or return to lobby from Pioneer 2. Carefully consider whether you can handle or escape a fight before entering. Bosses are a character-wipe level threat at all times. Don't stress about this rule if your connection tends to drop or if your computer likes to crash your game. This is for fun, and we all play around the capabilities we have.
  • No resetting challenge mode (I don't know the limits of challenge mode. I'd like to include that the challenge mode runs should be done 2 player, but I don't know if you can S-Rank with only 2 people. Wiser minds than mine can chime in)
  • When you reach level 200, retire the character.
  • /purist - the experience reduction will actually be pretty important here just to get everything done that you want, but the rare drop rate bonuses are also removed to help maintain the challenge

The concept is simple. You have 30 inventory slots to play with as you progress through the game. You need to strategize how you wish to utilize them as you progress your character. The end goal is to see what is possible to solo clear prior to level 200 under these restrictions. Plan out how many inventory slots you want to dedicate to scape dolls and consumables. Plan out what section IDs you want in which order to collect your desired rare drops. Scout quests in easier difficulties to make sure you aren't biting off more than you can chew. And always keep in mind the level cap when considering which items to grind for.

Without further ado, let me introduce my red box contender. Meet Maple:

1640478297003.png

For those considering this challenge, the first thing to ask is what type of character you want to play.
I immediately ruled out force - I simply don't have enough experience to handle trying to not die as a force, regardless of their suitability for the challenge.
I then ruled out casts for a few reasons. First, I again haven't played casts much and don't have a lot of experience with using traps as efficiently as I would need to. Also, the lack of resta and SDJZ means a solo cast loses a lot of advantages they would normally have in a party. You could argue either way about whether casts need to carry more items - more mates and telepipes vs sol atomizers and fluids, but the earlier points led me to pass over the casts. Largely - I'm terrified of facing bosses with only mates to heal with and not the healing multiplier resta and fluids offer.
Next I had to choose between hunter and ranger. In this case I leaned towards ranger. I felt that the items rangers might grind for are less obnoxious than those a hunter might grind for. Rangers also offer some interesting options for clearing a room quickly that a hunter won't be able to take advantage of. Lastly, playing as a ranger tends to have you fighting from a safer position so I felt it lended itself to the challenge well.
Then I chose ramarl over ramar because waifu, and also better techs. Not everything has to be super nuanced.

Next is planning section IDs. Naturally I started with... Pinkal? Don't worry. I plan to change early on in Ultimate. There are a few things I want to pick up from Pinkal first though, and I feel like the tools I can acquire through very hard will carry me long enough to reach those goals. I will explain these as time progresses, but feel free to guess and tell me why I'm wrong.

With the initial startup out of the way, progress update!

Maple is level 21. So far we've found:
  • Grinders:
    • 7 Mono
    • 2 Di
  • Materials:
    • 2 Mind
    • 1 Luck
  • 2 Scape Dolls
  • 2 presents:
    • Samba Maracas
    • Lollipop
  • Amplifiers (surrendered):
    • of Foie
    • of Barta 2x
Note - Items of note I find but don't need and cannot keep I will mark as surrendered. With the inventory limitations, this will happen a lot as I get further. Should be interesting to see what gets discarded as I go.

Also:
  • Level 89 mag (twins, dolphin, pilla, 5/31/37/16)
  • Completed Soul Eater side quest
  • 0 deaths so far!
So far in this endeavor I have heavily prioritized acquiring Soul Eater and leveling my mag. The mag provides early access to techs and weapons, and soul eater offers fantastic early game multi-hit damage, while also being my best weapon to tackle episode 4 if/when I do some hunting. If anyone also takes on the challenge, just be aware of how brutally hard Kireek actually is in this fight. He locks you in the room with you, his weapon has crazy reach, and he hits like a truck. If pvp combat was less jank this fight might be easier, but at level 21 I got hit for 130 hp on some hits. Make sure you have the hp to tank, and that you are well stocked on mates/know how to target cancel resta!

Next up I have my sights set on my long term defensive upgrades. At level 41 I can pick up a Ranger Wall. I will also be heading to the Seabed once I hit Very Hard (and level some more).

---

Follow the thread if you want to see updates on my stupid gameplay. I'll be playing on Fodra block 2, so if you see a room called maple, you'll also know that I'm there wasting hours away. Also let me know what you think of my choices thus far!

Last edited:
Did you think I was dead? Think again! I'm actually dead 3 times over but still going! Really though, life told me to stop playing for a bit but I'm back to update some progress!

For starters, not long after this post, I had a change of heart and flipped my section ID to Purplenum. I did this because I realized I could get a cell of mag 502 from a quest and evolve my mag to a Soniti, providing a triple invincible evolution. Purplenum offered the Soniti evolution while also offering solid alternative drops while leveling Maple. That said, I am annoyed that Soniti does not count as a rare mag. That green text will eternally annoy me.

With the new section ID, I have acquired a Bravace, a number of M&A60 Vises, and I unwrapped another present for a Le Cogneur. I am still holding the rifle until I can equip it, but my go-to weapons at the moment are soul eater, pistol, mechs.

I just hit level 41 and picked up a Ranger Wall, giving a massive defensive boost along with the accuracy boost. This will be my barrier of choice for a long time. I don't have any active plans to swap it out until I start hunting red ring or anti-darkness ring.

The only other drops of note are Booma's right arm and Branch of Paku Paku. I kept neither.

Mat count: 6 power, 2 mind, 2 luck

Death count: 3. One to a massive explosive trap in a quest that one-shot me, and twice to Astarks while being greedy. I still have one scape doll. I'll be playing a bit more careful until I can replenish those stocks.

The current plan is to level to 60 then poke around in the Seabed. I might calculate max hits compared to my HP and visit it sooner though to try to get my desired drops sooner, but I need to preserve my dolls.

Someone plays too much RuneScape (same though).

I've played like this before (although not Ultimate), and I find the game a lot more interesting as you can't just skip half the game by buying something high hit / from Ultimate, it feels nice to actually get drops like G/Battles and H/Battles, because the intrinsic value is what really matters rather than the value of the item in comparison to everything else on the market.

I'm not playing actively currently, but I am definitely planning to play a self-sufficient account whenever I do again, although I probably won't block myself from playing with others, just won't take any items or carries.

Someone plays too much RuneScape (same though).

I've played like this before (although not Ultimate), and I find the game a lot more interesting as you can't just skip half the game by buying something high hit / from Ultimate, it feels nice to actually get drops like G/Battles and H/Battles, because the intrinsic value is what really matters rather than the value of the item in comparison to everything else on the market.

I'm not playing actively currently, but I am definitely planning to play a self-sufficient account whenever I do again, although I probably won't block myself from playing with others, just won't take any items or carries.
I’ve always tried to play self sufficient in PSO since I always played offline as a kid. The Ultimate part is meaningless for now but I’m really excited for when I get a few more drops and suddenly have to start making actual inventory decisions!

Back