frequent disconnections

NeonLuna

squirrel
Guildcard
I bought this PC used, specifically to play PSO. My main computer is Linux, and I could run PSO through Wine but it was so slow it was unplayable.

Every time I play, I eventually get disconnected with error 100. Sometimes I can play as much as an hour, sometimes it's 2 minutes - most often though it's 15-30 minutes.

• I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling - several times.
  • I restarted the router. (It's a Comcast/Xfinity modem+router.) Also, Dark Souls online features on my Xbox seems to work fine, Netflix works fine, so I don't think it's the connection.
  • I tried another server, Eden, and the same thing happened.
  • Googling led me to a forum topic where one suggestion was to lower my computer's MTU. It seemed to help, I played for about an hour, but then I was quickly disconnected several times. (I then followed the directions to change it back.)
  • I have an older computer I tried, using the same ethernet connection. I played for 2 or 3 hours and was only disconnected once - for some reason it would freeze up for a second or two every 20 seconds or so while I was playing, or I might have tested it for longer. It has an inferior graphics card, else I'd play on it instead, and try to fix the freezing issue.
I can go AFK on Pioneer 2, come back 30 minutes later and still be connected, but I get disconnected often when accessing the bank or tekking weapons.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I want to play PSO and this is kind of stopping me.

Attachments

• pso131348672654555167disconnected.jpg
    pso131348672654555167disconnected.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 21
try running shit in the background to take up bandwidth. PSO doesn't use much, so sometimes the ISP deprioritizes you for "not using it"

I run skype (logged in, idle, no voice) and a permanent ping script simultaneously ("ping www.google.com -t")

I'm sorry to hear that. I used to get tons of disconnections too but I don't much these days. I'm unsure why though..

I started playing on lumi more (since i'm located UK) which certainly helped but I play fodra alot too. I have also played alot with the game settings and made sure everything is spot on to my craptop. Im sorry i cant help more and I certainly hope you resolve the issue soon ^_^

Edit: This may also help

Theres a post about these errors by SweetWilly, have you tried shutting off your firewalls/portforwarding?
Another post on the SEGA forums mentioned not running Peer-to-Peer software [utorrent,limewire,etc], Media Players, and Security Software to fix error 100, and error101 [which may happen after solving error 100] is router-related and involves resetting your router.
[You need to reset it on the router webpage aparantly, unplug-replug/hard reset button won't work]

SweetWilly's post:
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/error-100-and-101.138/
Sega Thread:
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?173114-Tips-on-how-to-prevent-PSOBB-Crash-and-Error-no100

[edit: another post said it may be server-side (a little unlikely though since everyone else can connect) or you may just have to run as administrator]
[edit, edit: tofuman answered this a bit on Willy's thread (n.n) worth a read may help]

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick replies! I will be trying some of this shortly.

I realize, now, I should have included more about this computer.
  • I bought it specifically for this purpose, so there's nothing else running when I'm playing, just AntiMicro since Xpadder stopped being free.
  • It came from a small business that sells PCs and does repairs - when I first set it up, I couldn't get internet until I had disabled/uninstalled all antivirus/firewalls, I'm not really sure why. I also disabled UAC just as a matter of course.
  • In the post that Spuz linked, falkenjeff mentioned "10-year-old single core ... toaster" - this is exactly what I have. But my toaster runs PSO at 720p with all the settings up, which I've never been able to do before. This one has Vista, while the other one I was testing on was XP.
Also, I have tried playing on all 3 ships, no difference except a little lag.

I will return with my results after trying this stuff, though if it is fixed it'll take a while to be sure.

edit: I tried the continuous ping script; it might have helped but didn't fix it. I was disconnected halfway through one TTF, then was able to complete it on the second attempt, then I was disconnected about 30 minutes into EN4.

Last edited:
edit: I tried the continuous ping script; it might have helped but didn't fix it. I was disconnected halfway through one TTF, then was able to complete it on the second attempt, then I was disconnected about 30 minutes into EN4.

Run something else too. Skype, discord, etc

Thanks for all the quick replies! I will be trying some of this shortly.

I realize, now, I should have included more about this computer.
  • I bought it specifically for this purpose, so there's nothing else running when I'm playing, just AntiMicro since Xpadder stopped being free.
  • It came from a small business that sells PCs and does repairs - when I first set it up, I couldn't get internet until I had disabled/uninstalled all antivirus/firewalls, I'm not really sure why. I also disabled UAC just as a matter of course.
  • In the post that Spuz linked, falkenjeff mentioned "10-year-old single core ... toaster" - this is exactly what I have. But my toaster runs PSO at 720p with all the settings up, which I've never been able to do before. This one has Vista, while the other one I was testing on was XP.
Also, I have tried playing on all 3 ships, no difference except a little lag.

I will return with my results after trying this stuff, though if it is fixed it'll take a while to be sure.

What kind of internet are you on? I'm experiecing the same issues and im using a mobile hotspot - perhaps its your ISP?
[my mobile provider are absolute jews about gaming on PSO for some reason- oddly I can play my playstation just fine - may be an issue jeff mentioned]

Back