Frame rate issues since recent update

Melirei

Retired Game Mechanic Novelist
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
Hello,

Since one of the recent update (3/13 or 3/14 I'm not sure, presumably one of the anti-cheating updates), the client's frame rate would frequently drop severely in game, whether walking or in combat (more severe in combat). I have also heard some others talking about having noticeable frame rate drop since the update.

I admit my computer is aged and not very powerful, but it was okay before that specific update.

The issue has the effect of breaking combos and other timing-based element in combat, prompting me to make the post.

Thank you for your attention.

Could you check your systems performance via task manager when the frame rate drops? (ctrl+shift+esc). If the CPU is spiking check the process list ("details" in windows 8/10) and check how much CPU time psobb.exe is using. The anti cheat doesnt do anything graphically so could only imagine you would see high CPU time if it was that.

I recently experienced frame rate drop to an unplayable level but it was caused by an update to nvidia video card drivers so rolled them back. So if you've recently updated your video card drivers it could be that.

Thanks for the response, here's what I see when checking: CPU spikes occasionally, even when standing still. psobb.exe uses 45~50% CPU time normally and 70~90% when it spikes.
I don't think the video card drivers updated, unless it does that automatically...

Hi, please patch through the patch server to version 1.4.5 and tell me if your performance is any better.

Thanks.

Alright, I've done what I can with 1.4.6. It *should* be faster than the other one, please let me know, thanks.

I'm getting "The procedure entry point K32EnumProcesses could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll", and version number of login screen says "! DLL ERROR !" for 1.4.6 ><

Yeah, woops, just fixed it. Forgot to compile for XP, repatch now.

I'll have to test it later, I'm out of time for today ><

Seems to be better now, but not as good as before the update; there's still some spikes/frame lag occasionally, while before update there were none as far as I remember.

I wish there's none but at least it's more bearable now. Thanks for the fixes.

Maybe others who had the problems could also report if it's better for them too.

Back