Forcing Nvidia use on laptop?

CptRansom

I've tried running in Windowed, Fullscreen, and Classic Fullscreen with Advance Mode on and off, gone into the Nvidia control panel and tried to force both online.exe and psobb.exe to use the nvidia card over the integrated card, and nothing seems to be working. It's still using the integrated card and causing some fps drop which isn't something I really want to deal with on a hardcore account if I can avoid it!

Anyone with any advice? Laptop's an MSI GE72VR, Intel HD Graphics 530, Nvidia GTX 1060, i7-6700HQ.

When I contacted Nvidia support they said you can't. It's up to SEGA to add the support for the game.

None of my games will use the Nvidia card unless they use it by default. "Forcing" it in the Nvidia control panel never works (for ANY game). Laptops with 2 graphics cards are really dumb and I will never be buying another one like this again.

If you play classic fullscreen, and set your resolution to 1280x720, you shouldn't get FPS drops. FYI. PSO doesn't need a super duper graphics card to run. It's an old game.

I've had it work for a couple indie games, but I'm in 110% agreement that it's dumb and obnoxious. I'll give that a try and hope I don't die. Thank you so much!

Yeah I can't use mine either ; ;

Windows 10 does allow me to "Run with graphics processor" on a right click on this laptop... never tried it but give me a second to test it.

Apparently I "Don't have the Permissions" to do this. I don't like being told that I don't have permissions on a laptop I bought... GRRR.
I Also have Intel HD 530 in this laptop and I haven't gotten any frame lag...
As the HD Graphics is a Processor integrated graphics option that Intel is pushing right now I'm not sure your going to get a good option for not running a "2 graphics" setup. Sorry for the trouble.
One other option that I hesitate to forward is a program called Throttlestop... It limits or overrides the processor throttling scheme, and since the HD Graphics is on processor this might help. I am not sure that it is upgraded to manage Skylake processors, however. If you use this tool to reduce processor throttling you need to watch your temps manually for a while. Skylake should be under 80c for optimal life span.

Have you guys tried updating your drivers through nvidia website? This sounds like a driver issue.

As a stupid workaround, you could also try making a copy of the game exe with the filename bf3.exe and running this instead of going through the launcher (nvidia battlefield 3 profile). The exe barely updates anymore since this server now use a dll (probably won't need to recopy), just run the patcher to grab new content and close then run the exe independently. The dll should load correctly since it was patched in the exe.

I don't have one of these to try but the last resort would be adding support through custom code. Based on nvidia doc for optimus, all you have to do is set this variable NvOptimusEnablement so the game runs using the graphic card.

Here's an inside look at the tiny doc :
http://developer.download.nvidia.co...megraphics/files/OptimusRenderingPolicies.pdf

You could theoretically add this feature to any game by loading a rogue dll to the process on startup (ideally through dx hook).

Altho, all of these are assuming the graphic card DOES work in at least one game.

Last edited:
you could also try making a copy of the game exe with the filename bf3.exe and running this instead of going through the launcher (nvidia battlefield 3 profile).

I tried this but with LeagueofLegends.exe

Didn't work.

Also tried every setting available in the advanced "Nvidia Inspector" tool or whatever it is.

all you have to do is set this variable NvOptimusEnablement so the game runs using the graphic card.

Not quite sure how to do this, but it sounds like a lot of work.

I tried this but with LeagueofLegends.exe

Didn't work.

Also tried every setting available in the advanced "Nvidia Inspector" tool or whatever it is.

Not quite sure how to do this, but it sounds like a lot of work.
What's your nvidia driver version? Also, does your graphic card even work on a single game?

I'm assuming you're not on Windows XP/Vista since optimus isn't supported correctly on platforms before Windows 7.

What's your nvidia driver version? Also, does your graphic card even work on a single game?

I'm assuming you're not on Windows XP/Vista since optimus isn't supported correctly on platforms before Windows 7.

It works for League of Legends, yes. Just not for PSO renamed League of Legends.

Not sure on my driver version, I haven't updated in a while. I used to update like weekly but it never fixed it, so I just stopped.

If anything, downgrading to factory defaults might fix it.... But that could cause other issues and I really don't want to do that.

Pso is the only thing I can't get to run on my dedicated card.
I'm using Driver 376.54 on Windows 10 64bit
also this laptop has a trash GeForce 610M but it's still better than the Intel HD 4000 that i have to run pso on

Pso is the only thing I can't get to run on my dedicated card.
I'm using Driver 376.54 on Windows 10 64bit
also this laptop has a trash GeForce 610M but it's still better than the Intel HD 4000 that i have to run pso on

Can you get random shit like VLC media player to use the card? (I can't)

Only games like League, Starcraft, and TF2 will use my card. And ummmm.... I think Project Zomboid uses it? iirc I haven't had issue with any steam games yet.

Wait, I just noticed there is nothing in nvidia doc specifying anything about directx8, it's all about directx9 and later which is most likely the culprit (older games). I do remember some wrappers to run dx8 games in dx9 but they weren't that great and usually the performance was worse lol

Wait, I just noticed there is nothing in nvidia doc specifying anything about directx8, it's all about directx9 and later which is most likely the culprit (older games). I do remember some wrappers to run dx8 games in dx9 but they weren't that great and usually the performance was worse lol

tl;dr optimus sucks :^)

Never again.

This is most likely your best bet to get it working through dx8 proxy wrapper :
http://enbdev.com/download_convertor_dx8todx9.htm

Although, you'd probably still need to force it via dx hook setting the NvOptimusEnablement value as said before. Can't really make a proper dll and test it since I don't have such a laptop tho. Such a bummer because the dev for this converter said the same on his forums.

upload_2017-2-16_19-43-20.png

! It works but I have like 5 FPS xd
Oh well

View attachment 3220

! It works but I have like 5 FPS xd
Oh well
Yeah, I just found out apparently the creator basically made it working with nvidia optimus so no need to do it using another dll however the perf loss is real on this game, I'm assuming cpu bottleneck due to the proxy overhead.

I would say try the true original fullscreen mode, but I doubt it'd make a huge difference in such a way that it becomes relevant. I have a « fix » for the windows 10 fullscreen bug if that works anyway as long as you don't care about the alt tab crash.

Yeah, I just found out apparently the creator basically made it working with nvidia optimus so no need to do it using another dll however the perf loss is real on this game, I'm assuming cpu bottleneck due to the proxy overhead.

I would say try the true original fullscreen mode, but I doubt it'd make a huge difference in such a way that it becomes relevant. I have a « fix » for the windows 10 fullscreen bug if that works anyway as long as you don't care about the alt tab crash.

That could probably be useful for some people.

Back