Fluctuating FPS

Iced Star

Guildcard
Hi guys,

Been having problems with having the game running at a constant frame rate. Seems to dip alot for no reason. Anyone got any ideas why? Will post my system specs as well.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080

#1 Make sure both CCX modules are active in the UEFI (Bios) if you recently flashed a new version.
#2 Disable G-Sync when running PSO. PSO is locked at 30fps max and that is usually the low-end range of most Adaptive Sync monitors. I get flickering on my 30hz-144hz monitors if I have FreeSync enabled while running PSO in FullScreen or Borderless Fullscreen.

#3 Task Manager > Set PSObb.exe priority to High

Not even sure what CCX is. My monitor doesnt do G-Sync. Tried the priority and it didnt work.

It could be the Ryzen. I've heard here and there about them having a bit of problems with running games. You'd think PSO being older would play just fine but it runs into issues quite a lot with newer tech. Try tinkering around with core affinity through task manager, and make it run on only 1 core maybe since PSO only uses one in the first place. Just shooting that out there.

Well i did try the single thread method and that didnt work either :/ made it worse i think.

UPDATE: Well I just tested again but this time with fraps running. Even though the framerate lagged, it didnt budge from 30fps at all. It almost seems like "slowdown" rather than anything else. But it shouldnt be as I know the game performs better than this.

Last edited:
Ryzen 3/5/7 are essentially dual cpus on one package. R7 runs 4 cores/8 threads on one ccx module + 4cores/8 threads on the other. Similar to Intel's 18 core Xeon CPUs.

Since the platform is still new we've been getting a lot of mobo BIOS updates pushed out recently. The last update that came out for my Asus Crosshair 6 reverted to stock bios settings and the conservative profile had a ccx module disabled by default which hurt draw call performance. Enabling it again fixed all my issues.

You should be able to double check if that happened to you by just going into CPU Configuration and making sure both modules are enabled (Should show up as 4+4).

It could be the Ryzen. I've heard here and there about them having a bit of problems with running games. You'd think PSO being older would play just fine but it runs into issues quite a lot with newer tech. Try tinkering around with core affinity through task manager, and make it run on only 1 core maybe since PSO only uses one in the first place. Just shooting that out there.
Corey and Ade had issues on Intel z170. My Intel z97 / AMD AM4 builds run it "like everyone else" and my Socket 478 Pentium 4 EE (2004 CPU) + AGP HD4670 (2010 GPU) build runs PSO in turbo mode.

PSO Blue Burst is the strangest fucking game I've encountered when it comes to compatibility.

Well my CPU is enabled correctly. Guess its just how it will run i suppose :/

Back