ephineapso.dll detected as a trojan virus

Steamax

I started playing on the ephinea servers about a week ago, and until now I have had no problems running it at all. I started the game this morning and it worked fine with no issues. When I tried to start the game in the evening, my anti virus blocked the dll file, claiming it was a trojan virus. I'm using Norton Internet security. I didn't have any problems or notifications from norton in the past week of playing so I'm confused as to why the issue would only now pop up.

I can override norton if it turns out to be an error on norton part, but I would like to be sure there is nothing wrong before I do that. If anyone else has had this issue in the past or has any idea as to what might be causing this, it would be very helpful.

It will be a false positive. As we update the DLL regularly, reporting it as a false positive would be a waste of time because it would just occur again on the next update.

From what I've seen AV's report it as a generic trojan. But you can safely add to the exceptions. Ensure you run online.exe to get the latest DLL.

It was indeed being reported as a generic trojan like you said, so I have added it to the exceptions. Thank you for the reply.

im having the same issue but i'll try and do the same but im still a bit concerned about it. Sorry if im being hard, just very cautious, you know? i kinda have alot going on so i dont want to add my laptop to the list of worries.

You'll find posts on possible reasons why antivirus software dislikes the DLL. The most likely cause is that the DLL alters code of the psobb.exe. This for alot of anti viruses triggers a detection. As player know we don't have the source to the game. Sure we could add to the game in ASM but this is limited. It's far easier to prototype the functions in the client in our own DLL and call the function in C++. We can quickly add to the game with our DLL. All additions to ephinea from widescreen widescreen support to the intro video is thanks to the DLL.

i see.... well i added it to exclude it maybe im just unlucky right now but now ummm when i tried running online.exe its not popping up (trying uninstalling and then reinstalling) hopefully that works or something. kinda been having a rough time lately so yeah wouldnt surprise me that maybe my laptop is just acting up.

It's nothing to worry about, it's a common occurrence across all PSO private servers. It's just how the clients work. Believe me I'm the last person to trust random programs on my PC.

well... after i got the update and ran the game it closed after the game itself updated and now i cant get the online.exe to appear, i get the message asking do i want to run the program but after i hit yes nothing happens.... sorry if im maybe stupid here.... just been waiting for awhile and im so confused that i cant tell what's what.

(just an update to my issue, i tried playing by using the the game itself and that works fine so i think my "online.exe" file is messed up or something, any ideas on a fix?)

Last edited:
umm i am able to play if i use the direct game launcher but when i use the online.exe file it never shows up so is there a way to fix this? maybe without having to try and reinstall the whole game?

online.exe will download if its damaged or missing when you get to the welcome message in the game. If it didn't download the chances are something is blocking online.exe. No idea why your AV would be blocking that though as all it does is edit the game settings, check for patches and launch the game.

What operating system are you running?

If you're having trouble redownloading online.exe and you've already whitelisted ephinea's main folders make sure the online.exe isn't in your AV's virus vault. Depending on what you use (like bitdefender or windows defender), if I'm remembering right it can use that as a crutch to crush it on download even if the destination folder is whitelisted.

Back