Ephinea Cooking Thread

Jyuki

Prima Undine
Guildcard
Ephinea cooking thread copie.png
I always wanted to make this thread so I or everyone could share their own recipes (or favorite recipes) and talk about what they like to eat. So, here it is !

I'll keep track of every recipes shared and make a list down there. If possible, if you share your recipes, make sure to write the ingredients in both metric and U.S. measurements. If not, you can use this to convert: Awesome website

Recipes:

Last edited:
So, I'll start with a Crêpes recipe I always use (and is a delish :p)

Ingredients for 4 peoples (around 14x Ø23cm/9inch crêpes):
250g / 0.55lb of all-purpose Flour
4 Eggs
1/2l / 2cup of Milk (I prefer Whole milk)
1 pinch of salt
2 Tablespoon of sugar

Optional
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla extract (or replace the sugar with Vanilla flavored sugar) or
1 Teaspoon of Almond extract or
1 Teaspoon of Orange Blossom Extract.

Preparation:
Put the flour in a bowl w/ the salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle and pour carefully the Eggs (already beaten) inside. Start to mix slowly with a wooden spoon until it become t h i c k. When you cannot mix anymore, start to pour the milk little by little while slowly mixing (if you mix too fast, you'll get lumps).

When it's done, you can start cooking right away on medium heat (this recipe doesn't need the batter to rest). Add some butter (or oil) with a brush and pour some batter in the pan with a ladle (the quantity depend of your pan so, just find the right amount) and make sure to spread it evenly.

When the borders of the crêpe get brown, you can flip it over (with a spatula if you're not used to flipping) and let it finish cooking. Beware that it can cook fast so pay attention. :p

Tips:
You can add 50g of butter in the batter so you don't have to brush the pan.

Last edited:
My favorite drink (that I just invented) is the Photon Drop.

Ingredients
2 oz / 60ml Gin (or Vodka if you're lame)
1 oz / 30ml fresh-squeezed Lemon Juice
1 oz / 30ml Simple Syrup
1 fresh Strawberry, sliced to sit on rim (Bonus points if you cut it like a Red Box!)
3 dashes (2-3ml) of Angostura Bitters

Preparation:
Combine Gin, Lemon Juice, and Syrup in a shaker over ice; shake and strain into a square glass
Place Strawberry and dash Bitters.

Tips:
Shaker isn't completely necessary, you can just muddle the first three ingredients together.
Add ice if it's hot out, or if you aren't using a shaker.

Last edited:
One of my favorite recipes that I cook sometimes. Also one of my favorite desserts... A Walnut Cream Cheese Pie...

Walnut Cream Cheese Pie:

Ingredients:

8 oz. Cream Cheese
1/4th Teaspoon Salt
1/3rd Cup of Sugar
1/4th Cup of Sugar
1 1/4th Cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
4 Eggs
1 Cup Kero's Dark Corn Syrup
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 Deep Dish Pie Crust Shell

Instructions:

Beat cream cheese, 1/3rd cup of sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and salt until thick and creamy. Set aside.

Beat 3 eggs until blended. Add 1/4th cup sugar, corn syrup, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Spread cream cheese mixture in pie crust shell. Sprinkle nuts on top.

Gently pour corn syrup mixture over nuts.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes until center is firm.

Edit: I'll update the measurements when I have some time. I'm at a conference now and just quickly pasted this from notes in my phone. Haha.

Last edited:
Easy Béchamel sauce (white sauce that go well with a lot of dishs)

Ingredients:
25cl / 1cup of Milk
20g / 0.5lb of Butter
2 Tablespoon of all-purpose flour
salt
pepper

Optional
nutmeg

Preparation:
Melt the butter in the microwave for around 1 minute (make sure it's fully melted).
Take the butter out and add the flour while mixing well.
Take the milk to boil and let it boil for 1 minute.
Pour the milk in the flour-butter mixture and mix well.
Put it back in the microwave for another minute.
It's done! You can add salt, pepper (and optionally nutmeg) until it's good for your tastes.

Tips:
none.

This thread is awesome, dammit Jyuki, I just <3 ya

Here is a simple one:
Meatballs and gravy

Ingredients:
1 lb./ .5kg ground beef
1 can (8oz or so) golden mushroom soup
8 oz. red wine (cheap, unless you want to drink it while cooking, in which case go with a zinfandel)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg (optional)
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp onion powder

Put the salt, pepper, onion powder and rosemary into a medium size bowl. Add the egg if you like (it can help make the meatballs stick together better, but it isn't totally necessary and can make the meal a bit too heavy). Add in the ground beef and get it all mixed together (i usually wear gloves because I hate digging meat out of my finger nails). Roll the meat into balls 1 inch/ 3 cm in diameter.
Heat up a large pan medium heat, and drop in the meatballs (no need for oil, the fat will start to cook out). Brown them on all sides, or as close as you can get to browning a sphere.
While that is going, add the golden mushroom soup and red wine into a bowl and mix it thoroughly. pour it over the meatball and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low, and move the meatballs to the outer edge of the pan. The sauce will start to reduce and thicken without overcooking the meatballs. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes.
That's pretty much it, pull one out and cut it in half to check, but they should definitely be done. Serve with rice or potatoes (some kind of starch, y'know?) and veggies. If your wine is decent, drink that too, otherwise save it for a future recipe.

Loco Moco variation
Do the same thing, but serve over rice. Fry and egg and drop it on top. Wear loose fitting clothing in anticipation of epic stomach expansion.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

Ingredients:
(2) Slices of Bread
Peanut Butter
Jelly

Tools Needed:
Butter Knife

Instructions:
  1. Open both jars of peanut butter and jelly by holding each jar with one hand and unscrewing the lid with the other. Place each of the two jar lids on a flat surface such as a table or counter top (wherever you're preparing this). Inside of the lid should face up.
  2. Hold the peanut butter jar with one hand and the butter knife with the other hand.
  3. Using the butter knife, dig some peanut butter out of the jar and spread it on one of the slices of bread. After peanut butter is evenly spread out across the slice of bread, place it on a plate. Peanut butter side up.
  4. Slide both sides of the butter knife against the inside of the top of the jar to remove excess peanut butter.
  5. Hold the jelly jar with one hand and the butter knife with the other hand.
  6. Using the same butter knife, dig out some jelly out of its jar and spread it on the other slice of bread. After jelly is evenly spread out across the slice of bread, place it on the same plate you used before and have the jelly side up.
  7. Slide both sides of the butter knife against the inside of the top of the jar to remove excess jelly. Place butter knife into sink.
  8. Close each of the jars by placing their respective lids on top and screw until sealed shut.
  9. Grab both slices of bread with one in each hand (make sure not to touch the peanut butter and jelly to make your hands messy!) and press the peanut butter side of one slice of bread against the jelly side of the other slice of bread. These slices should be pressed together so that the outline of both slices meet one another.
  10. Set sandwich on plate.

Congratulations! You just made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with these 10 easy steps!

TIP: This meal goes well with cold milk!

Ingredients:
(2) Slices of Bread
Peanut Butter
Jelly

Tools Needed:
Butter Knife

Instructions:
  1. Open both jars of peanut butter and jelly by holding each jar with one hand and unscrewing the lid with the other. Place each of the two jar lids on a flat surface such as a table or counter top (wherever you're preparing this). Inside of the lid should face up.
  2. Hold the peanut butter jar with one hand and the butter knife with the other hand.
  3. Using the butter knife, dig some peanut butter out of the jar and spread it on one of the slices of bread. After peanut butter is evenly spread out across the slice of bread, place it on a plate. Peanut butter side up.
  4. Slide both sides of the butter knife against the inside of the top of the jar to remove excess peanut butter.
  6. Using the same butter knife, dig out some jelly out of its jar and spread it on the other slice of bread. After jelly is evenly spread out across the slice of bread, place it on the same plate you used before and have the jelly side up.
  7. Slide both sides of the butter knife against the inside of the top of the jar to remove excess jelly. Place butter knife into sink.
  8. Close each of the jars by placing their respective lids on top and screw until sealed shut.
  9. Grab both slices of bread with one in each hand (make sure not to touch the peanut butter and jelly to make your hands messy!) and press the peanut butter side of one slice of bread against the jelly side of the other slice of bread. These slices should be pressed together so that the outline of both slices meet one another.

Congratulations! You just made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with these 10 easy steps!

My 7th grade science teacher gives you an A+ for detailed sequential instructions, and notes that you would make a great scientist someday.

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday--ground turkey does not make good meatloaf by itself. Came out like some kind of weird meat slop.

Ingredients:
(2) Slices of Bread
Peanut Butter
Jelly

Tools Needed:
Butter Knife

Instructions:

Thank you, NDW. I now know the secret to making this. It has eluded me for years.

Reactions: NDW
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday--ground turkey does not make good meatloaf by itself. Came out like some kind of weird meat slop.
Ground turkey doesn't like to stick together, had the same issue trying to make turkey meatballs, turned into turkey slop

My lunch right now:

Kale Salad with Chicken
Salad
* shredded kale, no stems, 3 or 4 leaves
* feta cheese or croutons (for topping)

Dressing
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* juice from 1/2 lemon
* 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
* 1 clove of garlic, mined

Chicken
* 1 breast or thigh [insert naughty comment here]
* 1 tbsp oilive oil
* 1/2 tsp onion powder
* 1/2 tsp dill weed
* 1/2 tsp ground mustard seed OR yellow curry powder
* salt n pepper to taste

Prep salad dressing so the flavors can mix together a bit.
Mix up the chicken ingredients and roll the meat in it. BBQ or pan sear until cooked through, take off heat and let sit.
Pour dressing over kale and mix up. Add feta or croutons and sliced chicken. Enjoy

Back