Enemy part conversion reordering items; item order not changed on client

Ryan

✨ Lucky Lucky
Staff member
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
I went to convert three enemy parts in Dr. Osto's Research that a friend had given me, and the conversion worked fine. I got the items, used /lobby to return to the lobby, and joined the game he was in, dropping the three items (two Hildebear's Canes and an S-Beat's Blade). However, he flipped out and said they weren't the items I'd dropped. Instead, they were the three weapons I had in my inventory previously (Stag Cutlery +7, Maguwa, and Varista). He dropped them for me and they remained as the enemy weapons, so I logged off and back on.

I checked my inventory once I'd returned, and all items were intact and none were cloned. However, my three weapons had moved to the bottom of my inventory somehow after I'd converted them, and I'd dropped them for him instead of the enemy weapons. The enemy weapons occupied the three slots above my usual weapons instead, even though they should've been at the bottom of my inventory.

I didn't take a screenshot of the bugged order, but it looked like this:
Before logout:
Stag Cutlery +7
Varista
Maguwa
Hildebear's Cane
Hildebear's Cane
S-Beat's Blade

After logout:
Hildebear's Cane
Hildebear's Cane
S-Beat's Blade
Stag Cutlery +7
Varista
Maguwa

Somehow, my weapons moved themselves down to the bottom of my inventory! I'm wondering if this has to do with the bug fix that was applied to combining items. Notably, I did inadvertently select my Stag Cutlery when talking to Montague, but this didn't have an adverse effect any of the other times I converted enemy parts.

Aside from reporting this bug, I'm curious as to what caused my weapons to still show up as the enemy weapons when my friend dropped them back on the ground for me. I don't know how the server code works at all, so a look into that would be fascinating!

Looks very weird as you had items in between.

Long story short, if you are not sync'd, you will see what your client "thinks" it has, and everyone else will see what the server "thinks" you have.
This applies to the item itself, but the order in the inventory too. (as you said, you didn't get any duplicated item, just were ordered differently).
[Hope I'm right on that xD Soda might make it clearer for you]

Yeah, the client doesn't check in with the server as far as it's character data goes until you switch blocks or log back on. So, whatever you think you have will be what the client shows to you, but other people will see what the server thinks you have. Like I said, PSOBB is heavily client-sided and it's a poor implementation of a wanna be server sided game.

The item combination fix doesn't have anything to do with this quest and your results, though. Item combination stuff is when you "use" an item, so, very different.

It's strange, though, because the op code this quest uses makes sure to add the item to the bottom of your inventory, so I'm not really sure how it ended up at the top... Like it explicitly adds an item to the inventory, it doesn't paste in front of or anything, it goes to the bottom and adds the item there... this is a first and I don't really know how it happened.

Did you happen to do any sort of item sort before you logged out or sometime after you got the item?

My mistake in rendering the item list, Soda. The "..." represents the rest of my inventory. The items were not placed at the top, they were just not at the bottom, either.

I didn't do any kind of item sort. I got the three enemy weapons, left the game via /lobby, joined a friend's game, and dropped them. I didn't know what was going on until after he told me I'd dropped my usual weapons.

Back