endless patching

shadow_FIX

ephinea music instructor
hi guys, new issue i've never experienced.

every time i run from the launcher (was working fine earlier today) i can't get it in my native resolution (1920x1080) and it connects to the patch server, almost like what happens when you install for the first time.

this keeps happening over and over...like after it acts like patching, it quits out, i restart game, and it wants to patch again.

any idea what's happening here?

edit: problem seems to have been fixed by running from online_compat instead.

someone correct me if i missed something, but i'm online now...

case closed?

The regular online.exe should have been able to do that, strange it didn't. Make sure you always run online.exe as admin for it to replace.

i always run from admin. it's curious indeed...i'll check on it every so often. but is there any reason i *shouldn't* run from online_compat if it seems to work, at least for now?

Hmm, you just will miss out on the news posted unless you remember to check the website. You also can't set widescreen resolutions with the original online_compat.exe

see that's where things are interesting: using online_compat is the only way to get widescreen 1080p to work for me. bear in mind this is as of yesterday only; never had this issue in the past on any server (hence the reason i'm confused haha)

I moved the widescreen patches to the client exe instead of having the launcher open psobb.exe and then try to edit over 400 values before the client window appears. Unfortunately slower systems can have issues with that. But now that its in the client the launcher no longer needs to do that it literally just launches psobb.exe so should work the same that the original online.exe did.

I've been having this same problem. However it is not as easily resolved for me like it is for Shadow. Any ideas on why this could be happening? I'm gonna try restarting my system to see if that helps. I have been running online.exe as an admin in compat (service pack 2) from the minute I downloaded the game.

You don't need to run online.exe in compatibility mode anymore. I should probably edit the FAQ regarding that!

You *may* need to for psobb.exe, but not online.exe

What file do you keep downloading, Xion? Have you whitelisted the folder for the game?

You don't need to run online.exe in compatibility mode anymore. I should probably edit the FAQ regarding that!

You *may* need to for psobb.exe, but not online.exe

What file do you keep downloading, Xion? Have you whitelisted the folder for the game?
The file I'm downloading is online.exe.patch; yes I added an exception to my firewall and anti-virus when I downloaded the client. I have them turned off now just to make sure and still no luck.

So, Psobb.exe will download online.exe itself. It does download it as online.exe.patch. When it completes, it tries to rename online.exe.patch to online.exe If, for some reason, it isn't able to do that, you will be stuck in that loop.

The reasons it could be stuck in that loop are:

1. You or Psobb.exe doesn't have sufficient permission to copy online.exe.patch to online.exe (Which shouldn't be the case as I think Psobb.exe always starts up in Administrator mode.)

2. The launcher is open or something else has a lock on the online.exe file, so Psobb.exe is unable to overwrite it.

Please check to see if you have an online.exe process that is already open in the background after the client launches. The launcher is supposed to close itself when you click "Start Game".

If the launcher is still open after clicking "Start Game", whether visibly present or running as a background process, please close the process and then attempt to patch from inside the game.

If that still doesn't work, I'd suggest a reboot of the machine and try again.

If that STILL doesn't work, once online.exe.patch is downloaded, delete the old online.exe and rename the new online.exe.patch to online.exe

So, Psobb.exe will download online.exe itself. It does download it as online.exe.patch. When it completes, it tries to rename online.exe.patch to online.exe If, for some reason, it isn't able to do that, you will be stuck in that loop.

The reasons it could be stuck in that loop are:

1. You or Psobb.exe doesn't have sufficient permission to copy online.exe.patch to online.exe (Which shouldn't be the case as I think Psobb.exe always starts up in Administrator mode.)

2. The launcher is open or something else has a lock on the online.exe file, so Psobb.exe is unable to overwrite it.

Please check to see if you have an online.exe process that is already open in the background after the client launches. The launcher is supposed to close itself when you click "Start Game".

If the launcher is still open after clicking "Start Game", whether visibly present or running as a background process, please close the process and then attempt to patch from inside the game.

If that still doesn't work, I'd suggest a reboot of the machine and try again.

If that STILL doesn't work, once online.exe.patch is downloaded, delete the old online.exe and rename the new online.exe.patch to online.exe
I rebooted my system and ran online.exe out of compat mode. The patch replaced online.exe and it's working fine now. Thanks for the help. Ephinea is amazing!

While this topic is here, it's doing the switch accounts and repatches thing again. Just thought I'd let you know @Sodaboy

I just did an update and uploaded new files like just right now. Relax.

I was about to say. I was freaking out thinking I lost everything D: *paranoid lil poop*

Back