dsound.dll strikes back

Welp, it wasn't the antivirus it seems. Crashed again.

Now I have 0 ideas on what to do, tried everything.

Ok so, I've disabled an option in my bios and I didn't encounter any crash since. I'm not sure if it's the holy grail or if I just jinxed it but lets hope it's fixed.

toqT96Y.jpg

I didn't even know WHQL could be in the BIOS. But it shouldn't do anything, since it apparently only allows you to enable UEFI and prevents Windows from running if there is an unsigned driver.

I blame Windows 10, I can't run Oblivion anymore for no apparent reason.

I didn't even know WHQL could be in the BIOS. But it shouldn't do anything, since it apparently only allows you to enable UEFI and prevents Windows from running if there is an unsigned driver.

I blame Windows 10, I can't run Oblivion anymore for no apparent reason.

Without WHQL, I can install both in Legacy or UEFI no problem (Legacy is greyed out with WHQL enabled). Plus, I always played on Ephinea with Win10 and it wasn't crashing like that before (Note that I had a Legacy install before).

And about Oblivion, I played it not too long ago and it was working fine on my system. I literally have 0 issues with Windows 10 in general except this PSO one.

Reviving the thread just to say that I still had PSO crashes on Win10 (had kernelbase.dll & dsound.dll errors in Windows Event Viewer)

So, I've made a dual boot with Win7 and the game works like a charm there. I'm not sure if it's due to something I've installed or just Win10 things but that'll do for now.

It's likely win10 just breaking support with older direct3D stuff if I had to put out a big think guess.

Reviving the thread just to say that I still had PSO crashes on Win10 (had dsound.dll errors in Windows Event Viewer).

I just replied to your old thread as i tried to fix the same over the whole weekend.
For me it helped doing all of this, reinstalling pso, setting DEP, running as admin...
Finally i disabled "focus sound" in pso advanced settings and let it start in "borderless fullscreen", simply fullscreen which allows to alt-tab out... Had no crashes so far on 5 more runs. Hope that is the "thing" now.

I've tried everything but not disabling that focus sound, as it's active by default.

Also just an update, I was still crashing on Win7 so it didn't help in any way.

I'll disable the Focus sound and see if I get crashes the next time I play. Sometime I can play a whole day just fine and crash a lot the next day, so it's hard to properly say if it's fixed or not. :oops:

Well, I had crashes the whole weekend in MAE:CCA very soon after start. After i disabled "focus sound" I no longer had issues since hours, seems like that did the trick. Feel free to say hi for a round when you are on. Im mostly idling in lobby 13 or running cca at skyly for not getting my HP :)

Edit: The crashes are back. One thing which made issues was using d3d8.dll. DONT use it, when you dont have an active APU graphics unit or your GPU works. It causes MASSIVE lags and makes you seasick looking at the screen.

The crash came back after i disabled xp sp3 compatibility on the psobb.exe
Just re-enabled it and test.

Seems like its a mix of all the above.

Last edited:
Back