Did you know gaming-PSO

So I was reading a bunch of old posts at PSO-World last night. I'm sure a lot of you know this, but back in the day when you died you would drop your meseta and weapon currently equipped!!!! I was thinking the rage someone must have felt when someone would just walk over your dead body and steal your weapon. Do any of you old school players have memories of this? Would most people just use a common while playing in is this mode and never use a rare?

So I was reading a bunch of old posts at PSO-World last night. I'm sure a lot of you know this, but back in the day when you died you would drop your meseta and weapon currently equipped!!!! I was thinking the rage someone must have felt when someone would just walk over your dead body and steal your weapon. Do any of you old school players have memories of this? Would most people just use a common while playing in is this mode and never use a rare?
It was hell. Most people would use a rare was if it was in a passworded server with GOOD friends. Otherwise you would only use it if you knew without a doubt you would not die. Scape dolls were a big deal because of this. Made everything stressful in public games.

I remember this one time I lost my Lavis Cannon. This was with two friends, and one of them brought their friend with them. Said friend turned out to be a douche, using excuses such as "it's part of the game, get over it". I was able to get it back because I knew my friends in person so it wasn't hard to track said individual down.

But for the most part yes, it really sucked. Just like it's nice to have PSO2 drops as an option. There's always going to be THAT guy who is a rare hoarder that will bum-rush anything that drops and treat the game like some example of Darwinism.

Last edited:
On V1, PKing on the JP ships to steal their meseta was something 13-14 year old me did every now and then when i was bored. Until one day I ran into a player that had a scape doll and pked me back. Loooool I'll never forget that moment. I was with a couple of friends and we just started laughing so hard.

Stealing items didn't happen that much unless all you did was play with a bunch of randoms. I always tried getting people killed when I was alone online and see if anyone else would item steal the dead player. I never did it on the US ships out of principle looool.

I did fsod people on the us ships all the time though. Friend and I would make "Forest To Ruin" games and after the Dragon was killed we'd hit them with Grants as they warped to P2. Good times.

Yes....it SUCKED! Mew was fortunate enough to be helping good ppl who immediately returned her double saber upon returning to the room. <3
Willing to bet it was Also a motivation for hackers to come up with the whole PK crisis too =P

This was one of the reasons I didn't jump into PSO in the Dreamcast days like I should have.

I was managing a Wizards of the Coast retail store back then, so our whole staff and customer base were die-hard gamers. One of my part-timers showed me PSO in the store and told me all about it. It looked fun, but between weapon stealing, hacking, and I didnt like how easy it was to be powerlevelled, I continued playing Everquest, which was still in its heyday. My first real experience with PSO came playing 4 player offline on the Gamecube. I was hooked forever, then.

Let's continue with the "Did you know" theme! Ummm...
Did you know if you rescue the Works soldier in time in "Warrior's Pride", then finish "Restless Lion" without returning to town (on the same difficulty of course), then in "Pioneer Spirit" you can return to Pioneer 2 after Rupika says, "I feel like there's something else we can do" and recruit Karen into your party? You will also see a special cutscene at the end.

Just like it's nice to have PSO2 drops as an option. There's always going to be THAT guy who is a rare hoarder that will bum-rush anything that drops and treat the game like some example of Darwinism.

or that guy who picks up all the rares first, then builds his reputation by giving them to people who can actually use them 8)

or that guy who picks up all the rares first, then builds his reputation by giving them to people who can actually use them 8)
This obviously would assume the people he's taking them from don't actually need them :p

Wizard's of the coast? Respect! Btw, it would be super sweet if pso got an actual did you know gaming video. Just from what I've seen, I don't think pso gets the props it deserves. There are hard core fans of the game. But I feel it is overlooked by most.

Also it seems like trading was a big issue. No trading option so you and the person you were trading with, stood far away from each other, on the count of 3 both would drop item and run for the other persons item. Most of the time both players were dropping low level Rares that weren't what they said they were. Seems like a lot of people got ripped off. They were blacklists made for people who cheated like that. It sounds like pso was the wild west back in the day!

It's true that V1 and V2 have no trade window, but since the drop rates are terrible on all but half a dozen items, there is no reason to trade, anyway. Most stuff never drops and thus can't be obtained to use in a trade, and everything else is so easy to get than you can just get it on your own and don't need to trade for it. GC tried to fix this by adding a trade window and fixing the drop rates (for the most part), but cheating on PSO has always been so easy that trading was never a good idea if you wanted to play legitly.

As for dropping your weapon and Meseta when you die, it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If you're playing with friends it's likely that somebody might grab your stuff by mistake, but they'll always give it back.

I loved the mechanic that your weapon and Meseta get dropped if you die. You had to build some trust before using your better weapons, and there was always that thrill if dying.

One of my most intense gaming experiences came from that (PSO was the first game I ever played online). I was playing in the early days on Dreamcast EU servers, hadn’t heard anything about cheaters yet, opened a room, had some solo fun, and then a US player named Jackass (in some leetspeak variant) joined. I casted a pipe, he teleported down to me, stood before me, and … killed me with his Resta. He took my weapon and money, laughed ("hahahahahhaahah"), and left. From then on my personal quest was to find this guy.

I never succeeded.

More than 15 years later, I still vividly remember his FOnewm costume.

• I was playing in the early days on Dreamcast EU servers, hadn’t heard anything about cheaters yet, opened a room, had some solo fun, and then a US player named Jackass (in some leetspeak variant) joined. I casted a pipe, he teleported down to me, stood before me, and … killed me with his Resta. He took my weapon and money, laughed ("hahahahahhaahah"), and left. From then on my personal quest was to find this guy.

I never succeeded.

More than 15 years later, I still vividly remember his FOnewm costume.

Hahaha. Great story. This thread brought back many good memories! From what I remember the weapon dropping thing wasn't so bad, as I generally played with close friends. What was a pain though, was trying to get back to your old spot to pick up said weapon again. I remember many times being relatively unequipped trying to race back into a busy room. Also, this thread makes me thankful that there is no cheating on this server AFAIK. Antics of PKing with resta were funny to me as a little kid. Nothing would infuriate me more, these days lol.

The moment when your HUmar unleashes Spread Needle.

Back