Damage Cancel

Alex

In all my years of playing PSO (since it came out on DC) I can't believe I've never heard of this / noticed it before. I'm actually super bummed out upon hearing about it, because the reason I wanted to get back into PSO was to recreate my awesome FOnewm from my gamecube days. Sure techs in multi mode don't do great damage, but it was always fun to me to be a caster. Now that I have been doing research on DMC, I have about lost my want to play PSO anymore, knowing that all I'd be doing as a caster in multiplayer games is hurting the team by using techs. Yeah I know I could just make a FOmar or FOmarl and use support techs and weapons but that's not the play style I enjoy. I wanna nuke things with spells! Blah :(

If you cast the support techs and then nuke i don't see why people would complain in a non time attack game. If they complain, ask them if they have a record in the @reason Time Attack Thread. If they don't have a record and they complain about Damage Cancel then just ignore them.

Fonewn and Fonewearl can do enough damage with techs to not be an overall burden IMO in most situations, just don't spam em blindly, strike the weak points. Work on stun locking foes with it if you can as well.

That grants from Fomarl is pretty potent, as is gifoie, gizonde from 3/4 fos. Grants can be useful in general in some areas even. Gifoie and gizonde can do some pretty good damage sometimes as well.

Proper tech use can help stop stuff like lily throwing megid, rabarta freezing stuff is always pretty useful cause it makes it easier to combo kill a lot of foes/save on freeze traps. In a big room with tons of lily throwing death balls you better bet that something simple like razonde even if it does no damage stopping that death is good.

Fonewn can help fling out spells as well IMO in various amounts.

Just make sure s/d and j/z are up as needed and most people won't care tbh as long as you aren't spamming blindly. Shifta is needed more than deband in a tight spot and Jellen isn't even that needed all the time as well. Granted on some foes you really want to throw it out. S/D only need a casting once every 5 minutes, which is easy to mentally avoid having trouble with as long as you throw it out once every 2-3 rooms. Resta/Anti are the least needed out of support techs but resta use can be useful to throw up every now n then.

Usually I just make sure my team mates are safe, someone doesn't need a resta right away if they are at 90% health.

Demon's from stuff like bringer's rifle is some of the most powerful damage in the game. Against big foes like scorpions and dorphans, flowers, super robots I'm bringing that out when I get a chance. No one is gonna complain about damage cancel from that lol. If stuff goes to hell as well (such as in a certain tower quest where you get ambushed from some flowers on a top platform) you better bet I'm gonna nuke/demon's from a distance with grants if I can rather than get near em.

People who get pissed off about any damage cancel happening at all just can't do enough damage fast enough as well in the 1st place to avoid it. It really is only an issue in a few situations. Such as foes with tons of hp, which is when you should bring out your demon's. Every fo can use it well.

Note that you are not the only one who feel discouraged but I'll let you know it's not like the past at all where they would complain about damage cancel 24/7. Heck I still remember how that one player complained that when I cast Jellen, he/she claims that it damaged canceled. No joke. (This was in GC.)

I suggest you keep playing as you do. Ever since I started playing on this server, not a single player called me out for damage cancel and that is really something. And I would play with anyone, randoms or same folks.

Just have fun.

Jellen and zalure do actually damage cancel because they are classed as an attack @Yalyn. We don't use them (for the most part) in cmode because of this (and tp waste).

But yeah yal is right, it's not the past, so many people used to bitch about DMC all the time. Here isn't much of the case. Just have fun. The only time it's noticeable really (or makes a huge difference) is below.

Just avoid spamming on high hp enemies (dorphon, girta, ep2 Towers etc) like Rune mentions as you should be using demons.

In all my years of playing PSO (since it came out on DC) I can't believe I've never heard of this / noticed it before. I'm actually super bummed out upon hearing about it, because the reason I wanted to get back into PSO was to recreate my awesome FOnewm from my gamecube days. Sure techs in multi mode don't do great damage, but it was always fun to me to be a caster. Now that I have been doing research on DMC, I have about lost my want to play PSO anymore, knowing that all I'd be doing as a caster in multiplayer games is hurting the team by using techs. Yeah I know I could just make a FOmar or FOmarl and use support techs and weapons but that's not the play style I enjoy. I wanna nuke things with spells! Blah :(

You do know that fonewm has an ATA cap of 181 and can use Excal, Sof and on ep4 can spam gifoie the hell out of lizards with the right merges and armor (did I hear Ignition Cloak?). Hearing about your playstyle, you should be fine on ep4 (and ep 1 and 2 as well if you want to diverse your playstyle with some demons). Fomar and Fomarl have an ATA cap of 163 and 170.... which is way lower than yours. Trust me, you've got enough to play for if you ask me.

Also keep a few more things in mind Alex. Fonewms are still VERY efficient at soloing Ep 4 for items and are equally good when helping people lvling. From what I know, bosses are around 90% of the xp gained from ttf so opening the way super fast for the others that are lvling on normal/hard/very hard should not bring up any complaint from them. Again, nuking the entire room to help players lvling in MA S is really helpfull, especially if they can use Ra/Gi techs too. Just make sure the other(s) tag the monsters first then go nuts and obliterate the entire room with a few casts. Imo Fonewms are still one of the best classes (if not THE best) for the things I just mentionned. The more enemies there is to kill, the more Fonewms can shine after all. ;)

During the event I had one complain to me about not casting Jellen on baranz. Said person was complaining about me using razonde and damage cancelling on lily in caves though. Again don't take it personal.

The DMC on this server isn't that bad I think. As others have said, tech spam is mostly just annoying when people are trying to kill a higher hp enemy or something or if you're neglecting other duties. It's even pretty useful in some situations for stunning dangerous enemies, or killing EP4 stuff (4 Fonewm Lost Son Hopkins is a glorious thing.) Don't let a little concern about DMC keep you from playing.

DMC is only going to happen if everyone is spamming charge vulcans. Even then you'll still do high amounts of damage so it's irrelevant.

SOMEONE ONCE KEPT DAMAGE CANCELLING ME WITH ZALURE WHEN I WAS TRYING TO KILL GEES IN RT WITH A NORMAL COMBO AND IT MADE ME SO MAD ! !

PLEASE BAN ALL FORCES! ! !

Reactions: Kyu
DMC is only going to happen if everyone is spamming charge vulcans. Even then you'll still do high amounts of damage so it's irrelevant.

Lol. Dmc happens alot more than that.

Well.. I mean.. you're not a Time Attack player. soo, it doesn't matter.

Pretty sure this is why Soda left it in the game. (He actually patched it out on his test ship)

Like it gets "literally one-shoting Olga Flow before the 4th person can tag" stupid.

There were technical issues actually
If he fixed it he never would have left it in the game because it's awful :[

DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion pls no drama
I actually disagree with most of this thread and I think DMC can be really frustrating and tech spamming is THE WORST
But I'm an elitist or something idk man

Never noticed the DMC really, I would like someone to point it out sometime. That would be cool.

Back