Custom Loading screens. Is it possible?

I don't know if anyone ever asked but I always wonder, is possible to even have custom loading screens? Has one ever tried or is it not do-able at all?

And no, I am not suggesting shoving some fanart or official art in these custom loading screens like every other Ragnarok private servers, I was thinking of something else. Having a white text (with black outlines on it?) over the loading screen.

My idea was to have helpful tips/hints/opinions that new (or not new) players can read while the game is loading. Problem is that it has to be at least one sentence or short line since most players already surpassed the system requirements.

"Never activate the boss portal unless you fully understand how it works."
"Having troubles talking to a player that doesn't speak your language? Use Word Select!"
"Daily reminder: Try not to accidentally use Photon Blast in the midst of battle."
"TTF=Towards The Future. RT=Respective Tomorrow"
"Opinion: Try to challenge yourself by playing quests you never played before."

And if it's not possible ... well-I-mean-that-addon-plugin-feature-will-do-great! Just-... you-know, call it "Tip of the day. (click to cycle through more tips)."

Edit: Oh yeah please lock this if it's not possible, the purpose of this topic is to know if it can be done or not. I am sort of aware that suggestions are not allowed because it must be done under the "Suggestions" category but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Last edited:
Considering how much the loading screen crashes already that's probably not a good idea to push out as the "default" Ephinea setting (although I don't know if PSO being a resource hog actually affects that, or if it's simply just network issues like ping).

But it IS technically possible... somewhat. I only know this because the "I bought my computer at walmart" patch removes the loading screen particles, so it's just a black screen. And on the "connecting to server screen" it's a black screen that says "Connecting..."

So at the very least, you could technically change the particles... But that wouldn't do what you want. You could mess with the PSO files and see if you can get text displayed, but it's probably not possible (or might trigger the CRC check if you do it through a trainer). The addon plugin would work, and that would be the best route. The problem with all of these options is that it would technically be a "custom skin" or 3rd party program, so you could go through all the work to make it and.... Have almost no one use it.

That being said, there is actually an easier (and better) solution (but it would require Sodaboy/Tofuman so it wouldn't happen). You could set a randomized "tip" on login to display as a banner after level 20, to replace the newbie banner that shows up until level 20, and add an account-bound server command to disable it for people who finally get annoyed by it.

As suggested, I don't think is possible for loading screens since they use particles.
And as also suggested, it would be better to just have some banner go on top or something like that.

This is actually easier than any of that, you could accomplish it two different ways:

1) DirectX Overlay displayed when the loading screen is called.
2) Injecting a jump to custom code to swap some files or load a random file when the loading stuff is called.

The different loading files could have the different hints and/or graphics.

Before the load character screen is a box with a message (where you press enter to continue and the same part as where patch downloads originally happen)

Surely that can be edited easily tho? For the stuff mentioned.

Before the load character screen is a box with a message (where you press enter to continue and the same part as where patch downloads originally happen)

Surely that can be edited easily tho? For the stuff mentioned.
That's the (patch) welcome message... there is a file with that text, it can be randomized af, but who reads that anyway....

There is (dummied out?) text that displays during the connection loading screen too. It was also used for some XBL messages iirc...

but I think some crops of the official art from the book (PLS NO FAN ART) with random tidbits would be cool. Or just random section ID color variations of the teleports with transparency text.

Back