Creating a character name more than 9 characters is bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you create a character name with 10 characters upon logging out and back in again your name becomes "---" and at the character selection screen some random symbol is shown after the name you picked ...
for example using: "TEST123456" will be "TEST123456Ôö¼├ë├ö├ç├│" at the selection screen and when you go in game your name is "---" instead of "TEST123456"

I hope this helps... if I find anything else I will be happy to share, Comments and questions are welcome too

Will take a look at it, can probably patch that right now.

OK, it's been patched. Due to how the field is for the name, there's actually no way to store 10 character names correctly and keep it in a packet correctly. Therefore, anyone who has a 10 character name will have it truncated to 9 characters automatically now.

The server is split into three parts. The patch server, the login (database) server, and the ship (block) server.

I patched the login server, which is the one that loads and saves characters. So, if you were already connected to a block, you wouldn't have noticed when the login server was shut down. (Though the block server knew there was a problem because it constantly talks to the login server to send updated character data to save. It just had it's connection temporarily severed, but reconnected automatically once the login server was back up. ;))

That does make sense I had a derp moment, I am just glad your on top of bugs... I played with a really old version way back when so I do know what your talking about.

You can now create characters with 10 character names and also rename to a 10 character name with /modname.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back